Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mangosteen flower bud?

Posted by BeanLady 9A (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 3, 13 at 11:31

I bought what I was told is a Mangosteen at the last plant sale of the Hillsboro Jail. After several mishaps(sun burned leaves,all leaves dropped after left to dry out) it has come around fairly well. The top had to be cut after the infamous drying out event. It is not very tall and I keep it in the house or sun room most of the year. I put it outside in summer where it gets AM sun, but not the hot afternoon sun. After all that, I have what I am hoping is a flower bud??? I hope the photo is clear enough for someone to give me a definative answer. I am sure that it will not survive long, so I took pics right away. Thanks for any help and information.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pics mangosteen flower bud?

I hope this works for the photos
C:\Users\LLOYD\Pictures\2013-01-03 MANGOSTEEN FLOWER\MANGOSTEEN FLC:\Users\LLOYD\Pictures\2013-01-03 MANGOSTEEN FLOWER\MANGOSTEEN FLOWER 003.JPGOWER 001.JPG

o
RE: mangosteen flower bud?

Mine are still to small to flower, but that does look like a flower bud. good luck, and gratz

o

Do you have a photo of the whole plant? Normally Mangosteens take from about 8 up to 20 years to flower, where the climate is right. While they're young they should be kept mostly shaded. Once they get to about 5 years or more they can be slowly hardened to full sun. They should never dry out but still have good drainage.

Good luck with that bud and keep us posted on how it turns out.

o

Sorry...what you have is not a mangosteen. More like the male bloom of garcinia livingstonei(Imbe).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here