Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Macadamia nut germination

Posted by sf_rhino 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 28, 11 at 11:33

A colleague of mine brought back a few fresh-ish macadamia nuts from Hawaii and I am thinking about having a go at sprouting them. Any general advice (scarring/soaking)? I notice that several of the nuts have small hairline fractures by where the stem was, so I'm guessing moisture already may hare a route inside.
Also, should I use a heat mat for these? I don't have one and was debating trying a DIY or just getting a small one.
Thanks!
Rhino

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Macadamia nut germination

Hi Rhino - I don't have any answers, since I bought a beaumont macadamia plant right off the Home Depot garden lot, but if no one responds to your question here you might try googling your question? I would imagine there'd be lots of responses on line.....

Oh, and here's a picture of my 3yr old macadamia (tropical FRUIT forum fanatics - forgive me!) Yes the brown leaves are salt burn from the soil - they really prefer deep irrigation and not the sprinkler setup I have working now...

mangodawg

3 yr old Beaumont Macadamia 012811

o

• Posted by boson 10 Delray Beach%2 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 28, 11 at 20:28

Hi,

I have grown macadamia from seeds. You may soak nut overnight - not necessary. What is important is the orientation of the seed. The micropyle (blossom end) of the nut should be horizontal when you put the nut into the soil. I hope that helps a little. But I still think the best answer I can give is a reply I got from an Horticulturist at the Univ. of Hawaii many years ago. I still have it saved. He wrote:

"For maximum germination, fresh seeds (in-shell nuts) that sink in tap water, have kernels that are tight in the shell and have shells that are not dark colored, bleached or cracked should be planted. Germination percentage drops rapidly after 3 months storage at ambient temperatures and can vary between cultivars. For proper development of the tap root, seeds are planted with the micropyle and suture aligned in a horizontal orientation. Root malformations can occur if seeds are oriented improperly at planting, planted in shallow containers or when obstructive materials are encountered in the planting medium. The malformations result in structural weakness in the root systems of grafted trees and make trees more susceptible to wind-throw."

And here is a good link:
http://www.coopersnuthouse.com/maclib/anoteongerminatingmacadamiaseeds.html

Good luck!

Tomas

o

the variety you describe sounds like arkin papershell.

o

My 15 year old Beaumont
Macadamia
Macadamia Nuts
Macadamia

o

Beauty of a tree, Deano - have you noticed they don't mind the cold?

About how many nuts do you get on your tree these days....and.......is the shell covering hard to crack?
I don't think we have thin-shelled varieties, do we?

I'm assuming you are in Florida...or are you SoCal????

mangoArfy

o

mangodog- Arkin papershell has a hairline crack in it which allows it to be cracked easier then other varieties

o

Hi Mangodog, This size doesn't mind the cold at all; I'm in sw Florida and we got down to 26-27 in Dec. If it wasn't for the animals, I would get about 100lbs. and they are hard shell.

o

I live in zone 9 Ceres ca. Central Valley.I know of a mac tree growin in some ones front yard we do get frost but no snow.I just bought one mac and one kukui seedling i heard of kukui growing in the bayarea I will keeo in pots until big enough to plant out side wish me luck.

o

There's several species of Macadamia. Most come from outside the tropics and from mountainous areas. They have a reasonable cold tolerance, but none of them are in areas that get snow.

o

Friends - I recently bought three young papershell macadamia nut trees. One is precocious, and already has about six developing nuts, of various sizes. I would like to try to germinate them, when they are ready. How do I tell if they are "ripe"? They are still green, and the largest is about the size of a quarter. I am in deep South Texas, near Brownsville.

Lisa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here