Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

New mango tree

Andrew Scott
13 years ago

Back in December I called a local nursery to ask them to pick up a Carrie mango for me. They go to some tropical fruit expo every January in Florida, not exactly sure where. Anyhow, they called me about a week ago to tell me that they got it.

When I asked them what veriety they brought back for me, the woman said that they didn't get Carrie because someone said that it wasn't the best selection for a pot. It must be that the nurseryman didn't know much about condo mango trees! Anyhow, when I asked, the woman said that the variety was "magnifera indica"! I tried not ot laugh but couldn't help it. I had to ask her about 4 more times, in which she got more and more irratated with me, until she finally realized what I meant and told me it was 'Lancetilla'. I was a little dissapointed but I have to tell ya, I only paid $25 for it! They bought it and turned around and sold it to me at cost!

The tree itself is about 4.5ft tall. It has 5 branches, and I noticed that it came from Pine Island. What impressed me the most was that the graft line was about 3 inches up from the soil line! I have never seen this before. Every other tree I have had the graft was at least 6 inches up ferom the bottom.

All in all, I am very happy with this tree. It is healthy, and yeah I will have to pug it but not nearly as hard as normal. The price I couldn't beat anywhere. The fact that I got it brought back from Flroida on a truck saved me the heavy shipping cost, and also I didn't have to wait till spring to get it.

I have only seen minimal leaf drop. About 5 leaves dropped after the third day. There is also new growth coming out of the tips and I did lose one of these small growths but that was it. It is still too soon to know if this will be inflos or not.

I still plan on buying 'Carrie' this spring, and if this tree is anything like what they normally ship out, I will buy from Pine Island from now on. Adios to Top! LMAO!!

Once I get my USB repaired I will post pics.

Andrew

Comments (11)

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

I have only one mango tree from TopT, Tong Dam, and its scraggly and sticks out like a sore thumb from all my other trees either from PI or Zill

• tammysf
    13 years ago

i don't know how great lancetilla will be for container growing/condo growing as it is a very vigorous grower and the fruit are huge...i suspect you would need to tree to be a pretty good size to hold onto the fruit.

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

Congrats on the new unexpected mango. I like my lancetilla, it needs a good 'pugging' but it is a good grower and has flowered and set fruit the past few years, all of them have dropped (with help). I have it in a 15gal pot.

-Ethan

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

Lancetilla is probably just as vigorous as Carrie. Carrie is a notch above Lancetiila. Carrie has a very unique flavor and texture when perfectly ripe.

maybe she forgot the cultivar or didnt ask. I wonder who she asked about the flavor, Pine Island has Carrie as 5 stars and Lancetilla as 4 stars. most times I visit Pine Island I usually see a worker there named Jose, he is from Honduras, has tried all of their mangos and his favorite is Lancetilla. maybe hes biased because he is so familiar with them or perhaps it is a bit of jingoism.

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Congrats on your new Lancetilla Andrew! I've read they are suppose to be very good and huge! Looking forward to pictures soon...Enjoy and good luck!

• mangodog
    13 years ago

Congrats Lance...I mean Andrew on your Lancetilla. My little precious one is pushing something now too - got mine at Pine - the best small trees I've ordered to date - I think they take great pride in their product - great shape.....

Aren't you in Arkansas or somewhere (so many here that I can't remember them all)?

Good luck with it in the pot - yeah, post some pics now and when it's grown a bit.....

MangoBowWow

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi mango dog,
    Nope, I live in NY state. I cannot post any pics until I get my USB fixed.

Hi Tammy,
    So how did your trees make it thru the winter? I am pretty sure that some people have fruited these trees in pots. Will it be a challenge, OF COURSe but I love the challenge!
    The tree all ready has a nice framwork of branches so even though it doesn't necessarily need pruning, I will still prune it to try and keep it relatively in bounds. We'll just have to see how it goes.
    Andrew

• mangodog
    13 years ago

NEW YORK STATE - my old stomping grounds - birth through the first 29 revolutions around the sun. I was near Binghamton - came so close to buying some land to go into the commercial greenhouse gardening business back in the early 70's...then escaped a few years later to Hollyweird....

ah...tis a small (and currently chilly) world....

mangoK-9

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

funny mangodog I lived in Queens for 27 years before moving to Hollywood (Florida that is, deathplace of Anna Nicole Smith)

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi mango K,
    I live in Fredonia so what about 3 hours from Binghamton?

Hey Mangokush,
    Never knew you also lived up this way! Man, I hope I make it your way some day...FOR GOOD!!

Last night I decided to repot the 'Lancetilla'. I know generally it is not recommended to repot a new tree but it wasn't shipped, it didn't come bare root. It only spent 17 hours in the back of a semi, LOL! It only dropped a few leaves after the 3rd day, and I did maneage to break off a few of the leaves around the bottom few inches of it.

I did pot it into a large pot but only filled with soil part way. I figured it would be easier to just lift the rootball and add more soil when it is time.

New growths are getting larger but can't tell yet if there will be any inflos.

Andrew

• mangodog
    13 years ago

Drew - I had some friends that went to Fredonia, but never been there myself....all of upstate NY chills my bones at the thought of it now

and MangoK - still got your accent....or did you lose it in the sweet Florida sunshine?

....lol.....

mangodoggywoggy

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21