Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What tropical fruits will survive in ground zone 8?

Posted by bevo2000 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 27, 10 at 11:57

Hello All,

I love tropical fruits of all types, but I live in zone 8. I would love to know what tropical fruits you have successfully growned, or are now growing, in the ground (with frost protection in the winter)? Please share your experience.

Thanks,
Dustin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What tropical fruits will survive in ground zone 8?

While looking at the other thread, it seems that many of these bananas will survive very cold climates.

http://www.greenhousebusiness.com/bananaplants.html

o

You should be able to grow figs in the ground in zone 8.

o

none, because zone 8 is not Tropical. :)

i would stick with stone fruits, peaches, plums etc.

pomegranates, figs, persimmon, pawpaw off the top of my head

o

Hi Bevo2000:
I live in Florida zone 9a and I also love tropical fruit trees. I can tell you that tropical fruits are not cold hardy, but many of them can tolerate extended periods of very cool temperatures without any problems. So, as long as you provide them with freeze protection, they can thrive in your area

Ive had success with mangos, avocados, citrus, pineapples, tropical guavas, sapodillas, and Barbados cherry. Citrus and avocados can differ quite a bit in cold tolerance depending on variety.

You can also try things like loquats, pomegranates, pineapple guavas, olives, kiwi, and pawpaw (asemina triloba). These are more subtropical in origin, but are more tropical-like than temperate fruits. This last group should be able to make it in zone 8 without protection, if you get the hardier varieties.

As I said before, I live in Florida, places like California are a different story. The spring and summer in FL are hot and humid and makes tropical trees feel right at home.

Where do you live?

Good luck

o

Thanks all for your responses. Mostros, I live in Dallas. I am going to try jackfruit this summer and protect it in the winter. I also believe the feijoa and the strawberry guava will make it with frost protection.

o

• Posted by tammysf 9b/10a or sz15/16 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 27, 10 at 16:58

I think jackfruit is one of the harder to grow. I have a jackfruit seedling that got fried even though it was more protected than my mango trees and cherimoya.

o

Hi Bevo2000,
I'm growing feijoas for 20 years now, and they survived freezes of about -15C in some winters without any kind of protection, and without any leaf drop even. They bear heavily (with hand pollination) if two varieties are grown. The branches, however, are as fragile as glass, and snow can crack them.
Strawberry guava is more tender, and need protection here, but they bear annually.

o

i dont even think feijoa and strawberry guava would need frost protection, what were your lows this year?

if youre going to protect a jackfruit from cold, i would recommend Black Gold. see the jackfruit lovers thread for harrys pics

o

Figs, mulberries, and bananas can be ok too...

If the tropical fruit tree can handle long periods of cool weather (not freezing conditions), it can probably be grown with freeze protection on the very few days that actually freeze. It's all about planning ahead and realizing that freezes will come and if you are not prepared, your trees will die...

Trees must be maintained small (at least under 8 ft), be in good health, and be properly protected...

I am planting a Jackfruit and a mamey sapote this year, we'll see how they do...

o

Base on your feedback so far, I will definitely try feijoa and strawberry guava this summer. This is mainly because I love the taste of guava in general.

o

• Posted by tammysf 9b/10a or sz15/16 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 27, 10 at 18:39

Feijoa is easy. I grew up with one here in norcal. Never watered, fertilized, protected, pruned etc. My dad has done nothing with it but every year we get tons of fruit.

o

I never thought of olives before BUT they should be excellent candidates. I know there are new varieties that Pine offers that are supposed to have fewer chill hours. I wish I could have one here but it would never fruit and definetly not hardy outdoors. Our winters are too cold for WAY TO LONG!!!
Andrew

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here