Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bevo2000

What tropical fruits will survive in ground zone 8?

bevo2000
14 years ago

Hello All,

I love tropical fruits of all types, but I live in zone 8. I would love to know what tropical fruits you have successfully growned, or are now growing, in the ground (with frost protection in the winter)? Please share your experience.

Thanks,

Dustin

Comments (15)

• senilefelines
    14 years ago

While looking at the other thread, it seems that many of these bananas will survive very cold climates.

http://www.greenhousebusiness.com/bananaplants.html

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

You should be able to grow figs in the ground in zone 8.

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

none, because zone 8 is not Tropical. :)

i would stick with stone fruits, peaches, plums etc.

pomegranates, figs, persimmon, pawpaw off the top of my head

• mostro
    14 years ago

Hi Bevo2000:
    I live in Florida zone 9a and I also love tropical fruit trees. I can tell you that tropical fruits are not cold hardy, but many of them can tolerate extended periods of very cool temperatures without any problems. So, as long as you provide them with freeze protection, they can thrive in your areaÂ

IÂve had success with mangos, avocados, citrus, pineapples, tropical guavas, sapodillas, and Barbados cherry. Citrus and avocados can differ quite a bit in cold tolerance depending on variety.

You can also try things like loquats, pomegranates, pineapple guavas, olives, kiwi, and pawpaw (asemina triloba). These are more subtropical in origin, but are more tropical-like than temperate fruits. This last group should be able to make it in zone 8 without protection, if you get the hardier varieties.

As I said before, I live in Florida, places like California are a different story. The spring and summer in FL are hot and humid and makes tropical trees feel right at home.

Where do you live?

Good luckÂ

• bevo2000
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all for your responses. Mostros, I live in Dallas. I am going to try jackfruit this summer and protect it in the winter. I also believe the feijoa and the strawberry guava will make it with frost protection.

• tammysf
    14 years ago

I think jackfruit is one of the harder to grow. I have a jackfruit seedling that got fried even though it was more protected than my mango trees and cherimoya.

• luigi_13
    14 years ago

Hi Bevo2000,
    I'm growing feijoas for 20 years now, and they survived freezes of about -15°C in some winters without any kind of protection, and without any leaf drop even. They bear heavily (with hand pollination) if two varieties are grown. The branches, however, are as fragile as glass, and snow can crack them.
    Strawberry guava is more tender, and need protection here, but they bear annually.

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

i dont even think feijoa and strawberry guava would need frost protection, what were your lows this year?

if youre going to protect a jackfruit from cold, i would recommend Black Gold. see the jackfruit lovers thread for harrys pics

• mostro
    14 years ago

Figs, mulberries, and bananas can be ok too...

If the tropical fruit tree can handle long periods of cool weather (not freezing conditions), it can probably be grown with freeze protection on the very few days that actually freeze. It's all about planning ahead and realizing that freezes will come and if you are not prepared, your trees will die...

Trees must be maintained small (at least under 8 ft), be in good health, and be properly protected...

I am planting a Jackfruit and a mamey sapote this year, we'll see how they do...

• bevo2000
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Base on your feedback so far, I will definitely try feijoa and strawberry guava this summer. This is mainly because I love the taste of guava in general.

• tammysf
    14 years ago

Feijoa is easy. I grew up with one here in norcal. Never watered, fertilized, protected, pruned etc. My dad has done nothing with it but every year we get tons of fruit.

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

I never thought of olives before BUT they should be excellent candidates. I know there are new varieties that Pine offers that are supposed to have fewer chill hours. I wish I could have one here but it would never fruit and definetly not hardy outdoors. Our winters are too cold for WAY TO LONG!!!
    Andrew

• xzartex711
    7 years ago

I live in climate zone 8, and i'm am trying to grow an abundance of tropical fruit this year. I am growing maracuja, or passion fruit seeds, and I have several healthy seedlings. Passion fruit can live in climate zone 8 as long as they are shaded, and sprayed with water on occasion. Passion fruit is also delicious, and is a very easy fruit to use in baking and cooking. I only know about it because I am Brazilian. I prefer Graviola over Jack fruit, though they seem similar on the outside. Plus, graviola is known for cancer healing abilities.

• Tracy Nicklas
    last year

Olives will grow in zone 8 but they dont like humid climates. grow them where its dry and well drained. bananas will require a sheltered spot. they grow well but to set fruit takes a long time. i live 150 miles north of houston and we get flowers but generally no fruit. in houston they have no problems

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting