Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Container Glenn

puglvr1
12 years ago

I repotted my Glenn July of last year and fertilized it with dynamite slow release late October so I wasn't sure if it would bloom this year (thought maybe it would concentrate on roots and new growths instead)...but to my surprise I found some bloom spikes starting to emerge on a few branches! We've had 3 mornings of freeze already this month and I wasn't able to bring it inside due to the large size and very heavy weight so it stayed outside and got covered, it did get some minor leaf damage but not nearly as much as my inground Cogshall and small Keitt. Not bad considering it could have been much worse. Now, I just have to hope we don't get any more freezes but I still have many weeks before we're safe...wish me luck.

My mangoes are definitely blooming much later this year than last year.

Comments (22)

• Pancrazio
    12 years ago

I really wish you luck. I know how hard is it to put so much effort on growing a plant just to see it die for few hours of freeze.
    Just a question, how big is your pot?
    The flowers won't warm the plant, but they warm the heart for sure!

• gnappi
    12 years ago

I too have a Glenn in a pot. It's about 6' tall, and only has a few branches but I hope to keep it containerized for another year till I can fully flesh out the available space in my yard.

I'm glad yours did well in the freeze, we have much less to worry about down here in southeast Florida.

Gary

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Pan and Gary!

Pan, my pot is 25" wide and 18 1/2" tall...according to this one nursery online store
    22 3/4" X 18" is (27.58 Gallon Nursery Pot)

Going by that I'm going to guess somewhere around 30-35 Gallon maybe?

• phucvu
    12 years ago

nice to see you posting again ms.puglvr, i was asking about you in the other forum.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Phucvu! I've been reading posts just haven't been posting much before. Nice to be missed :o)

I've been lurking on the other forum as well...

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

That's awesome! My manilita and pickering are flowering too. I only had to drag out my covers once this year. Watching the weather and hoping the cold is over for the year!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Sun!! More than anything I'm hoping the COLD is over too :o)

Congrats on your blooms!

• charleslou23
    12 years ago

can you tell me what's the other forum you're referring to please?

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Charles, email me on (My Page) and I can give you the name.

• simon_grow
    12 years ago

Hey puglvr1, I always enjoy seeing updates of your trees. They are always so nicely branched. Have you noticed if your potted mangoes do better or worse than your in ground mangoes?

Simon

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Simon - you thieved the words right out of my mouth! That next to last picture, pugsy, that Glenn of yours is the cutest darn Mango I've seen in a long time!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't you just want to hug the adorable right off of it?

By the way - what's your prediction on the number of fruit it will produce this year???????

ForumDog

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments Simon.
    If you're asking about growths, I would have to say the inground trees grows much faster and fuller than my container mango. I only have one container mango now. I lost my Pickering last year to cold damage along with other issues :o(

If you're asking about which does better during a freeze, I would say the container as long as I'm able to bring it close to the house and cover it properly, but ideally it would be much better to bring it in the garage but with this Glenn it was just SO big and heavy even the Dolly couldn't move it,lol...

Too funny MangoDog!! Thanks so much! Hmmm...my preditions for this year (assuming the blooms don't get "frozen" you mean)...I'm hoping maybe 10? If I'm lucky that is.

• samuelforest
    12 years ago

Amazing mango tree Puglvr!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Samuel!!

• Andrew Scott
    12 years ago

Hi Nancy,
    Man, that Glenn really is a source of inspiration for so many of us that live in non tropical areas! I am using your Glenn as a guide for my 6ft tall Maha Chinook. This winter it bloomed once and that was it but I am hopefull it will rebloom once it can get outdoors this spring.

It has been one heck of a learning experience for me. I have lost several potted mango trees but now I am finally thinking I will have a tree that will fruit.

Thanks again Nancy and I agree....so nice to see a friendly face here. I missed ya too!

Andrew

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Andrew, that's nice of you to say! Best of luck with your Maha Chinook...I'm sure this is the year you get some mangoes! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

• samuelforest
    12 years ago

Hey Nancy, I have currently a mallika mango tree in montreal and I'll get a new one this spring in a 7gal pot maybye Pickering. I have a few questions, I made a bunch of the gritty mix 1-1-1 that you use right? I want to transplant my future mango in it, but I wanted to know if you have any tips or instructions of how to bareroot the plant and transplant it? I'm very worried to kill the tree...

Do you use any kind of fertilizer? I mean rocks are not that rich in nutriments, you must use something to have green leaves like that.

Thanks in advance
    Samuel Forest

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Samuel, I do use Al's gritty mix and the first time I bare rooted a mango I thought I killed it too,lol!! I used a pressure type nozzle on a garden hose and sprayed all the old soil off (I did this in late summer in FL when the day time temps were around mid 80's). I also did it in the shade under some trees so the roots don't dry out in the hot sun.

Once I transplanted it to the gritty mix within a couple of days I started to see leaves dropping...Healthy green leaves just started dropping at an alarming rate. BTW, this is the same tree above that I'm talking about (my Glenn). I lost a TON of leaves and I thought the plant was going to die...but very slowly it stopped dropping leaves after a couple of weeks or so and eventually stopped. Several weeks later it started to recover and showed new growths.

Funny thing was I've bare rooted many plants after that and that has never happened to me again. I've had some go through stress where the leaves looked droopy, so don't over compensate by over watering. Check the moisture level with a thin wood dowel inserted in the soil to check if it needs water or not. If the stick comes out damp don't water. Keep the tree in mostly shade once you bare root and transplant your mango tree(with only a little bit of morning sun in the beginning) until the tree slowly adjust to the new mix, then you can slowly introduce it back to full sun. I have NO idea why that particular tree did that? Looking back on it I'm sure it was because it was my very frist attempt and didn't really know what I was doing. I also think I did not put it in the shade and had it in full sun, I think slowly acclimating it to full sun is very important until it gets used to the new mix.

As far as my Potted fertilizer goes...I've used several different brands in the almost 5 1/2 yrs. I've had that tree. Miracle Grow all purpose (mixed with water), Foliage pro 9-3-6, Vigoro Citrus slow release, Fish emulsion, Dynamite slow release pellets. Of course use only one fertilizer at a time,lol...or you'll kill the poor tree! I also use it at 1/2 strength never the full dose that's recommended. Mango trees are sensitive to fertilizer burn and can damage the roots and tip burn the leaves. I prefer to fertilize during the warm/hot months and while there's new growths. Don't fertilize much in winter (cold months) and when its blooming...I still fertilize mine about 1/4 strength since there's no nutrients in my soil just to give the tree a little boost. Fish emulsion is good at low dosage for this this. I prefer to fertilize once a month at a lesser dosage than every 3 months at full strength.

I know everyone has their own fertilizer regime, but these are what I've used over the years...

Sorry this is so long, Hope some of this is helpful. Good luck!

• Andrew Scott
    12 years ago

Hi Samuel,
    Nancy is so right about the ferts. I have accidently burned a few tropicals by over fertilizing, but luckily NEVER my mango trees!

I did want to add something though. I live in a similiar climate as you, and I noticed that for me, I had to keep my mango tree from completly drying out. I did try letting my first tree dry between waterings, and it quickly reacted by dessicating to the point where it died on me!

The thing is, that poor tree never went more than 3 or 4 days without water. Since then, I have found that if I keep my potted mango trees evenly moist, they dont drop leaves, or shrivel at all.

For this reason alone, I chose not to use Al's gritty mix for my potted mango trees. In Florida, there is more humidity, and rain. Yes, I know that they go thru severe periods of drought which I have not seen in western NY in quite a long time.

With that being said, I did still add perlite to a standard potting mix. I still wanted to aerate the soil to prevent the roots from rotting but from my few years of growing potted mango trees, I have observed how much they seem to like to stay cosistently moist(BUT NOT WET!).

My 'Maha Chinook' I purchased August of 2010. When I got the tree, it was just a small whip. Back then, you couldn't buy the 'Maha Chinook' anywhere execept for Frankies nursery in Hawaii(at least I couldn't find it anywhere else.). For that reason, I actually asked for them to prune the tree dwon to a smaller size to save on shipping. The tree was also bare rooted.

WhenI got it, I potted it in a mix of potting soil and perlite. I want to say, around 30% of the mix was perlite. I put that tree into a 5 gal pot. Within 6 months, the tree had doubled in size, and it went from a single whip to a tree with 7 branches. I have noticed that each year so far, I have had 3 to 4 growth flushes, and this winter, it actually bloomed. I quickly lost the inflo, because it accidently was snapped off by my HPS light chord. I was VERY upset.

How long have you been growing your mango trees? I wish you the best and PLEASE, share your growing experiences with your trees. What works for 1 person may not work for everyone, and personally I love to hear what other growers have observed. Especially people in similiar growing areas as mine.

Andrew

• samuelforest
    12 years ago

Hi Nancy!

Yes, it does help and thank you for the long text :). I hope it's going to survive when I will bareroot it.

Hi Andrew!

Here's my story,

Back in august, I was growing some mangoes, seedling of course and on internet I found that it was a waste of time. I decided to buy one or just find a place that sell some. I came on PIN website and I contacted them, to my surprise, they could sell me one, but for the price of 250$! I don't know why, but one day, I came on flora exotica website and I decided to go there just to see their mangoes and for the price the tree was amazing! I got it for only 65$! I got it in mid-august and didn't grow really because our summer was about of its end. I repotted it ,but in November I had a bug problem and there was rot on the coconut chips I put in the soil, so I had to repot it again. I think the tree didn't like it and it's still not growing. I put a 400w MH in my garage for my mango tree ,but the ballast burn up! Yeah...Now, it's now in front of my suniest window, this next winter I'll buy a LED panel for it. I also tipped all the branches and I hope it'll come back in spring. I also contacted frankies to get mahachanook like you, but they didn't know what to do??? They never shipped to Canada...

This is my story :)
    Sorry for my bad english my first language is French.
    Samuel Forest

• Andrew Scott
    12 years ago

Hi Samuel,
    I also had the same experience with my ballast but I got mine replaced by the company 2x's for free!! I would really try to get some additional lighting ASAP. I just don't think that the light quality will be sufficient for that mango right now. Our winters here in western NY tend to be pretty cloudy. Sunny days are few and far between.

I can help you with your Maha Chinook. Check out Plantogram.com. They offer the Maha Chinook but it isn't cheap...$99.99 but as far as I know, there the only company that offers it thru mail order(except for Frankies), and as far I know, they ship all over so I would think they could ship to you.

Good luck and let me know how you make out!

Andrew

• samuelforest
    12 years ago

I'm still pretty jealous of your winters... lot more warm than us :)

I contacted plantogram, they charge me 210$ for a normal tree and 260$ for the mahachanook, Lot more expensive than you, you paid only 80$ for your Carrie from Plantogram.

Samuel Forest

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company