Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rtees_garden

Is this too late to use as scion?

rtees_garden
12 years ago

To all the mango grafters out there.

Are the buds on the top of this plant too "pushed out" to use as scion for grafting? I have a lot of experience with stone fruits and if it were one of those I probably would not use it, but I have never grafted with tropicals or sub-tropicals.

I know it is not the best time to try, but with this warm weather we have been having here in Southern CA all the trees I planted last summer and fall have decided to push out new growth. If I do try the graft I will put the plant in my heated seed sprouting house to keep it warm until the spring.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Richard

Comments (8)

• behlgarden
    12 years ago

I second that question. My Mango tree is pushing for growth as well. I intended to graft some Maha Chinook borrowed from MangoDog but I was told to wait until Feb/Mar.

Lets see what experts have to say.

• sleep
    12 years ago

Looks good to me.

• adiel
    12 years ago

Richard, looks like you have a good plan. The ideal time would be to wait till warmer weather. But if you are saying its not too cold right now (as in not colder than 80-85F during day and night) then give it a shot. When done grafting, bag it up and put it in a warm area and keep us posted.

Adiel

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Richard

Mid 70's during the days and 45-50F at night does not cut it unless you have a greenhouse. If I was you I would wait until May....and if you can bribe Jim Neitzel or Leo Manuel ( mango legends in San Diego) to come over your house and graft it even better. Mangos are super hard to graft and in Southern California you have to be an expert. I'm hiring Mimosa's mango graftmaster in May to graft my two seedling (Manila and Ataulfo in the ground 7')he claims he has an 80 to 90% average. I have tried grafting in Jan. Feb. March, April ( MangoDog and I), July and Aug. unsuccessfully. MangoDog and I even had Eunice Messner (another mango legend in Southern California) graft one of my seedling and demonstrate her technics and wouldn't you know it, we jinxed her. So now I'm going to have the expert come to my house graft it and I will put a shade cover over my trees to get this albatross off my back.

JF

• rtees_garden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I know that this is not the best time to attempt this, but I have two trees that need to be cut back (new, 4-5ft tall on a single stem) so I thought I would at least try my hand at grafting mangos. I do have a place to keep them warm so that is not a problem so if it looks as though the scion is ok I will give it a try. I'd throw the scion wood away anyway so at least it will be good practice.

Thanks again,
    Richard

• mango mango
    8 years ago

is this thread closed? i have questions too?

• gnappi
    8 years ago

It looks like this site now has mostly zombie threads... those brought back from the dead 5 or more years old. Most of the older more experienced users went to another forum, dunno why.

• Marshall C.
    8 years ago

I am new to this forum and arrived upon advice from the Tree Fruit Forum. I hoped to find out more about which tropical fruits do best in containers and tricks in the potting and management of them. Other than growing Avos, citrus and coffee in containers, most of my fruit tree experience is in the ground.

I am a member of the SB/Ventura chapter of CRFG and have volunteered to lead a workshop on potting up and managing dwarf and other adaptable fruit and nut trees in containers. Sort of rushed for time; only a month or so off for the workshop. Leo Manuel might help but he is far away and not in best of health.

Marshall