Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stressbaby

2011 Greenhouse

stressbaby
13 years ago

A few pics from the GH today.

First, some plants from PR. Back two are Rollinia deliciosa, with a couple of barely visible leaves of Garcinia laterifolia in the foreground. The Garcinia is tenuous; I've seen a couple of these seeds push a set of leaves only to dry up and die.

Abiu on the left, rambutan on the right. I don't remember rambutan with the rumpled leaves like this; must be the growing conditions.

The sapodilla, really not doing much at all, but starting to see some bud swell, so thinking it may be getting ready to push some new growth finally.

My jaboticaba. I love this gal. Never looks bad.

Sweetheart bloom spikes.

Does this tell you anything Sheehan?

Comments (18)

• mangodog
    13 years ago

Another nice GH setup - how's big's the "house", S-Baby?

Boy those structures sure come in handy in those colder climates - you got an oasis started - should be good for your stress....

mangowiley

• pjames
    13 years ago

I am envious.
    I could show you pics of my brand new greenhouse, but everybody would say "Why the pics of the soil with nothing growing?"

I just received my seeds from Tradewinds. Not being sure what to try here in Louisiana, I bought baby kiwi, banana, red passion fruit, red strawberry guava, and cassabanana (sican odifera). I'm hoping something out of this will stay alive and may even produce fruit someday.

I bought one of those Harbor freight 10X12 greenhouses that I have seen here.

I'm looking to grow some fruit instead of buying it. If anybody has suggestions of 'must haves and will definitely grow" let me know. I am more or less clueless..

• stressbaby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mangodog, this is a 20x23 Grand Hideaway GH. You can see that I hang a layer of plastic inside in the winter.

pjames, you have a nice start. I removed the passionfruit, got tired of pruning. Strawberry guavas are nice out of hand, never could figure out what to do with them after that. [They make a fair martini, but cloudy. I'm gonna try just pouring the vodka over them like they do with the lychees.]

I'm afraid the plants in the first two pics will never bear any fruit but what the hell, who knows?

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Robert:

Nice looking plants....especially that jaboticaba. Is yours the one that fruits differently, or has this tree not fruited as of yet? Also, your Sweetheart panicles are somewhat different than mine. Mine seem to have a much higher mix of leaves in the growth spurt that contains the flower buds. Your bloom panicles look a lot more like my Hak Ip bloom panicles. I wonder if that is a lighting, temperature, or other issue? Are your trees from Pine Island?

Harry

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

Wow Stress the GH is looking great! Dont give up hope on your PR seedlings, yours are doing better than a particular person in FL. After about 5 months, my myrciara vexator are finally starting to sprout, kwai muk and herrania are painfully slow growing. On the plus side, the achachairu and mangosteen are growing moderately well for me.

keep up the good work,
    -Ethan

• lycheeluva
    13 years ago

lov the jab robert- that was from bryan in pr?

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

Impressive as always Robert. The plastic looks like it took a lot of work.

• stressbaby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks guys.

Harry, this is the jab that fruits out toward the tips. I have gotten fruit, but she's pretty shy about it, 1-4/year. Gerry, the jab from Bryan is right behind it, but hidden in this pic. The June Plum from the nursery never recovered.

The bloom spikes on the Sweetheart (from PI) may be a little atypical. I'll tell you, guys, I was desperate. I dropped the temps to chill the trees in November. This tree pushed out vegetative growth about a week later. I pruned it all back while it was small, knowing if I let this growth go, then IF I did get the tree to bloom it would be so late in the year the fruit would not hold. Then it immediately pushed another flush of vegetative growth. I pruned that off as well. Then it did this. :P

There are/were some small leaves mixed in there, Harry, but they are dropping off. In the past, the blooms on this tree have been shorter and more compact. I'll take what I can get!

Jay, this is year 3 and I just about have my system down. It takes me a 2-3 hours but boy is it a lot warmer in there as compared to my previous methods. Last summer I left the south wall plastic up, just to diffuse the light a little, that helped.

The internets say that you can fruit Abiu in a container, and that it will fruit in as little as 3 years. Ever heard of that? That little guy is starting to grow on me.

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Robert,
    Your trees look great. What variety of sapodilla is that? I'll be comparing your leaves with every other sweetheart and hak ip I see the next few weeks.

Regarding abiu fruiting in 3 years I think it is quite possible. I recently saw a tree that fruited after 4 years in ground and was told that was not atypical so I guess no reason why it wouldn't fruit after 3 in a container. If you would like some budwood though let me know and I'll send you up a bunch.

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

A 3 year old abiu fruiting, maybe grafted and in a perfect environment? I have a few going that we got and some I purchased previously. They are all potted, so far no blooms but I have hope. They are strong growers and seem to handle root pruning ok, it will be interesting to find out if and how long before any blooms and fruit come my way. Woolly abiu seems to have similar growth pattern.

good luck,
    -Ethan

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Fruiting an abiu in a container may be possible....but doing it in three years....I'd like to see that. I don't know, maybe I'm doing something wrong by I haven't been able to get an in ground abiu to set fruit after 15 years. Actually I do have one that set fruit (a total of two fruits one particular year ) once at about 10 years of age....but the other.....nada, nothing, zilch despite mulitple bloomings each year. Good luck with yours.

Harry

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Harry,
    Have you ever seen Noel's abiu trees? He said they fruited for him around 4 years from seed. Maybe you should try one of his "Jeff" seedlings.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Noel keeps threatening to give me one of those....but so far, I have not received one. I'll have to check with him again....but, truth be told, I am about at the limit of my abiu space alotment in my yard.

Harry

• stressbaby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"abiu space allotment"

Funny.

I have an abiu space allotment, too, you know.

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

I really liked the flavor of that abui we tried at Ians.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Abiu is one of those fruits that is decent, but the flavor can range from fairly sweet to absolutely insipid. Even the best of them, however, have no complexity.....no real zing. That's why I have some preconceived space limitations for it. The fact that it is also a magnet for lobate lac scale here in Florida is also another reason to limit its growing area.

Harry

• stressbaby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have to agree with Jay, I was smitten with it after the visit to Ian's.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Oh you guys from the frigid northland are suckers for anything tropical!

Harry