Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jackfruit Sources

Posted by jabomano z10FL (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 10, 12 at 12:39

I forgot to include this in my other post. I don't want any seedlings and find that Excalibur Nursery (for one) sells their seedlings as named varieties which they aren't. They're only true types if they;re grafted or layered.

Can anybody recommend a source for grafted trees? Jackfruit and others. I live in Ft. Myers.

Ray

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jackfruit Sources

#1 choice around there: The Treehouse Nursery in pine island (Bokeelia).

Here is a little story of how they got started (from breeze newspapers):

Back in 1976, Bob and Vivian Murray started Treehouse Nursery with a mango grove in Bokeelia. Their daughter Lianne Murray and granddaughter Allisyn Ramirez along with her husband Mario have recently restarted the business.

Although Allisyn is a critical care registered nurse and Lianne an intensive care registered nurse, the women decided to forego those careers in order to preserve the family business. Being nurses, they enjoy the health benefits of the fruit and the opportunity to spend time outdoors in nature.

Both women have fond early memories of the business. Lianne learned tree grafting in Miami when she was only 14. She is now teaching her daughter and son-in-law the technique.

The nursery boasts in excess of 50 varieties of tropical fruits, spices and fruit and flowering trees sold at retail and wholesale including 20 types of lychees and longans and 30 of mangos. One of these, the Bailey's marvel mango, originated on Pine Island. Other fruits on the 12-acre property are Surinam cherries, persimmons, mamey sapotes, sugar apples and canistel or egg fruit.

"Pine Island being on the gulf is the perfect climate for the less hardy of these," Murray said. "Inland it is too cold."

The women have made preserves and dried fruit in the past and plan to do so again. According to Murray, the dried product can be kept for two or three years in the refrigerator.

The Treehouse Nursery is located at 6330 Hubbard Road off Harbor Drive in Bokeelia. It is open to the public from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays.

For more information, call (239) 283-3688.

Adiel

o

Thanks Adiel. I've been buying from Treehouse since the late 1970's during its heyday. Things have changed since then with the nursery being split up....but it's still an excellent source of trees. I just wanted something different with many more rarer grafted fruit trees.

Ray

o

How about Lara Farms? Are their jackfruit grafted?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here