Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunti_gw

Jujube plant pictures

bunti
10 years ago

I have got 2 jujube plants 2 years ago. they are setting flowers, but not fruits. I have got them from willisorchards.
the varieties are GA 866, Li Jujube. they are 6 feet tall.

I have got one indian jujube one year ago from jenetropicals. I wish they set fruits this year.

Please share your jujube tree photos. I would love to see them fruiting.

Comments (32)

• brute
    10 years ago

I wish I could!
    Mine aren't fruiting either! They are big healthy trees and flower like crazy, but for the second year in a row, have failed to fruit.

• greenman62
    10 years ago

ive got 2.
    1 in the ground and one in a pot.
    i will try to post pics later, but they lost all their leaves and they are only like 8-10 inches tall

are they supposed to lose leaves in winter ?
    the potted one is in a greenhouse, but it may have lost the leaves before the greenhouse was built, just 2-3 weeks ago

• Nikitas_10a, Corfu
    10 years ago

It's perfectly normal for jujube trees to lose their leaves in winter. Don't worry about it.

Nikitas

• bunti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Does any one has Contorted jujube? I have limited space. It is worth having? How does it taste?

Photos of the plant will be appreciated.

• bananafan
    10 years ago

I have a contorted Jujube and a Thai jujube. They're both about 5-6 ft tall and were just planted last year. The contorted variety has no leaves now. The Thai jujube has a lot of grrowth and has all its leaves are intact, but it has a disease problem now. Lots of black spots. I don't know what they are.

• bunti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Banana fan, i heard that thai and indian jujubes are not cold hardy.

DO you know what zone is good for Thai and indian jujube?

• swampedkoi
    10 years ago

Mine fruited first year after transplanting, only about 4-5 fruits. They were delicious. The tree got lanky but still produced a few fruits, but didn't ripen well. Had a few more fruits this year, but it was a struggle. I think it will be coming out this year. Maybe a lychee instead. Jujube puts out lots of flowers and few fruits for the effort.

• veggie_girl
    10 years ago

I have 3 varieties and they have had flowers the last 2 years but no fruit :(

• cyh527
    9 years ago

what's the flowering/fruiting season for indian jujubes? my chinese ones are already flowering but not the indian one.

• MohammadLawati
    9 years ago

I have Thai Jujube and it is starting to grow flowers.

• bunti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My honey jar is fruiting..

here is the picture

• SasW
    9 years ago

I have a contorted Jujube and I think that the fresh fruit is much better than Li or Lang. It is very productive for a three year old tree. All my 5 Jujube trees are productive except for the new varieties planted this year. I give my trees approximately one gallon of water per tree per day during the growing season, using drip irrigation. I never lost any fruit and the fresh So fruit is my next favorite after Honey Jar and Sugar Cane.
    My Sugar Cane is less productive than the contorted.

• SasW
    9 years ago

Picture 2

• SasW
    9 years ago

Tiger Tooth did not produce this year. Last year it was very productive.

• SasW
    9 years ago

Three year old Lang

• SasW
    9 years ago

Li fruit 2014

• SasW
    9 years ago

Sugar Cane 2014

• sapote
    9 years ago

Nice variety of Jujube!!!

All of the photos show these are junior Jujube with nasty sharp thorns. As the trees get older and taller -- 10 years or so -- the thorns will no longer needed to defend those animals that love to eat the leaves. Here are some photos of my old tree.

Compare the crowbar to the trunk:

• sapote
    9 years ago

My camera couldn't cover the whole tree:

• sapote
    9 years ago

These pics taken this morning, and most of the fruits are well ripen. The birds love these fruits and I will harvest them at the end of autumn when the birds were well fed and migrated to warm southern part.

• sapote
    9 years ago

P.S. There is no thorn on this mature tree.

• newgen
    9 years ago

I have Li and Sugarcane. Sugarcane is far superior. I must be lucky, because mine give fruit every year, despite my neglect.

• greenman62
    9 years ago

i had got mine from someone on here i think.
    the name was unknown, but i got 3 small plants
    one is in the ground and 6ft tall now. it doubled in size in the last 3 months.
    i had seen some flowers and it produiced 1 fruit
    but i may have given it some high-Nitrogen fertilizer
    it dropped that 1 fruit (or, something ate it)

the other 2 are still in pots. cant decide where to plant them
    and summer is almost over.
    guess i will wait to spring to plant them out.

Brad

• SasW
    9 years ago

Brad you are in zone 9b. You can plant these trees anytime.
    Just do not disturb the roots when you put them in the ground. I planted my Honey Jar last September and it is growing nicely this summer.

• bunti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are my jujubes. I guess its Li variety. I have got from willsorchards.

Fruit size is big. but dry inside. taste is okay.

I am having honey jar too. It is having good texture.

• sapote
    9 years ago

"Fruit size is big. but dry inside. taste is okay. "

Just curious, when do you pick the fruits and based on what indicator for the optimum taste?

I enjoy mine in two different ways:
    1) sweet and crunchy when they turn brown but firm.
    2) Let those firm brown fruits on the tree a month more to dry, and they taste like palm date but with much more flavor.

• bunti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have tried one with little brown on it. Thats dry inside.
    This is the second one with more brown. I will update you the flavor in the evening.

• sapote
    9 years ago

Still firm or already soft?

• bunti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

its firm. I like to eat green than brown. Here are my fruits, I have cut them from the tree today.

• bunti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

more jujubes

• Kara Obana
    2 months ago

I bought two small potted jujube trees but they have now lost all their leaves i live in zone 10-11. when i scratched the bark it is still green underneath. is there still hope? No kne seems to mention if it is normal for these trees to lose all their leaves or not.