Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swrancher

Mallika or Graham Mango

swrancher
14 years ago

I'm thinking about getting another Mango tree and have kind of narrowed it down to either a Graham or a Mallika tree. So whats everyone's opinion of the two trees? which is the better producer? which tastes better? How is the Graham in taste compared to its parent tree the Julie?

Comments (50)

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

SWrancher,
    There is a video on somewhere on Pine's site. I know if you get to the tropical fruit photography link there is another link that is a video where you can see the tree and the ripened fruit of Graham and I think the Mallika is also there.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Swrancher...below is a great link that Bluepalm sent me last year. Hope it helps you with your decision. If it were me, I probably would go with the Graham...but taste is subjective...Just my .02

Here is a link that might be useful: FruitScapes Blog Archive...from UF/IFSA/TREC

• swrancher
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pug,

Thanks, that really is a great link even saved it in "my favorites" for future reference. I'm leaning more towards the Graham. I have wanted one for a while and almost got one at the last Broward Rare Fruit Club tree sale but someone else beat me to it. Not wanting to leave empty handed, I got an "unplanned" for Pickering Mango tree instead.

A few weeks back, I was at PIN picking up a long searched for Neelum Mango tree and next to those were a few 7 gallon container sized Mallika trees. The trees looked really robust and very healthy and that got me thinking and then reading about that type which sounded good...so here I stand ready to get yet another Mango tree or two.

By the way, I hope your trees are doing ok after all that cold weather we had.

Tony

• swrancher
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Andrew,

Thanks, I think the link in Pug's post is the one you mean and it was very helpful. Now I want to get both types of tree, LOL.

Tony

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

cant go wrong either way.

i would recommend a Julie over Graham but you seem to like vigorous trees for your property. Graham gets big and productive.

i never had a Mallika. i am going to buy one because i have room near my Alphonso and an Alampur Baneshan. those will be my three Indian type mangos. Alampur Baneshan needs to be ripened off the tree as well and is a true dwarf. Alphonso is vigorous.

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

swrancher,
    That is the link I was mentioning. I used it a lot when I was shopping for my mangoes. I wish I would have seen it before I got my cogshell but I am still happy. I have marked that page also. I wish I had the room indoors for all those mangoes. I NEED TO MOVE TO FLORIDA!!!
    Andrew

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

Mango Kush:

Alampur Banashan is not a dwarf tree at my house. It's no Valencia Pride, but neither is it anything like Ice Cream or Juile. I would classify it with Nam Doc Mai and the like. In any case, I would never use the term "true Dwarf" to describe it. Who told you that?

Harry

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

maybe it was Imam Pasand i was reading about then but i remember reading it had a trellising habit?

Harry, ive never seen full grown one
    when i bought it from Pine Island they didn know how large it would get, it was not listed on their site and they had five of them so i grabbed it. they recently put it up on the site and it says ten feet which means definitely not a condo.

good to know

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

I have not had a Graham before, but I do have a Mallika tree. Last year was my first with it and it produced 4 large beautiful mangoes. Only problem is I thought they were horrible. I let 2 ripen on the tree and I picked two 10 days before they were ready. I know a lot of people like them, but I actually threw away two of them.

• swrancher
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jsvand5 -

Thats terrible, you grow a tree from a rare variety then it turns out you don't like the taste. Hope the same does not happen to me with some of my trees. After reading your post I'm really leaning more toward getting the Graham.

Mango Kush -

I already have a small Julie tree. I figured that the Graham tastes similar but should be more productive and its supposed to be a lot easier to grow in Florida.

Tony

• squam256
    14 years ago

I vote for Graham. Can't remember if I tried Mallika or not (though I did have a Mallika tree that died), but I have tried Graham and it is a very good mango.

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

Well, having grown and eaten both over the years, I can only say that I like both. Mallika is more finicky in trms of being ripened properly. John, you may not have had good ripening. A good ripe Mallika is excellent. Graham is also an excellent mango. I think of it as a super Julie as it has many of the same characteristics but is more fruitful by factor of 100 (literally, at least in my yard) and is also a much larger fruit. The trees are similar is growth habit in my yard. I wouldn't fault the selection of either. Tony.....best bet is to wait to try them to see which you prefer or just buy one of each.

Harry

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

It's not too bad, I am going to use that tree to experiment on now. I am hoping to graft 4 or 5 other varieties on it if I can ever manage to get a few grafts to take.

• jb_fla
    14 years ago

Well, I am debating between the Dot and Graham. I suppose the deciding factor would be productivity. Are they nearly equal in production or is one better?

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Harry,
    I hope I didn't aste my money on Julie now, as far as the fruit production goes. The tree is all ready in a situation where it wont be able to get as large as yours and if I only get a few fruit, it will be a big waste:(
    Andrew

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

Andrew:

Your in pot growing would probably make your experience with fruiting Julie much different than what I have to deal with. In the Carib. islands, Julie is very fruitful. So think of warm Carib. breezes and a touch of salt spray in the air and you should be fine.....I hope.

JB:

Dot is one of my favorite mangos. It bears in similar quantity here as does Graham....you'll probably not be able to make the selection based upon that criterion alone. Dot does have a longer fruiting season.....but, Graham is no slouch when it comes to giving you a long fruiting window. I would rely on a taste test, if possible. I would personslly choose Dot based upon flavor...but that is a very personal and individual decision. PIN doesn't agree with me.

Harry

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

jb_fla i would say the deciding factor is your taste preference and what varieties you already have.

my favorite mango is Carrie and Dot is closer to a Carrie (maybe a seedling?)

Graham, is a seedling of Julie so they share similar taste.

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

Andrew, i had four mangos on my small 7 gallon grafted Julie last year and i brought two of them to full size. (i shouldnt have, the wind took an entire branch of the tree with the mango)

i bet keeping a hard prune and a small tree will keep it blooming. Julie is ideal for a container.

Graham is a vigorous tree that produces more fruit.

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

Andrew, i had four mangos on my small 7 gallon grafted Julie last year and i brought two of them to full size. (i shouldnt have, the wind took an entire branch of the tree with the mango)

last year pictures
    {{gwi:73754}}

Julie will stay dwarf and will be a beautiful container specimen. your Lancetilla is a bit more vigorous of a tree and bearer, but with the size of the fruit, it probably will not hold as much (i guess we will find out) Graham is also a more vigorous medium tree that produces more fruit. both of these would take more pruning in a container.

i think the amount of fruit you would get would be negligible to the quality, i mean even you can get crappy mangos at your food store.

anyway NO you did not waste your money. ask anyone who is from Jamaica about growing a Julie mango tree in your house and you are almost guaranteed to get their attention.

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Mangokush,
    Thank you so much for the help with that and Harry thank you too!
    I am going to espand my collection of mango trees. I no I said I had to quit but my basement temps dont really fluctuate. I am guessing it may get into the 50's but I am going to be a thermometer and keep track of the temps. I am also going to get some small electric heaters and a couple HID and LED lights this summer. I also have a humidifier but I am thinking that the two hot water heaters and the washer and drier will help with the humidity. I am hoping that I can taste some of the mangoes that i am interested in growing before I determine what mango trees I want to grow. It is exciting for me to taste "real" fruits that are fresh and taste the diffrences with each individual hybrid. I didn't get any right from the tree when I was down in Tampa during the end of June beginning of July but they were ripe when I bought them and the taste diffrence is so diffrent!! I was hooked on this fruit years ago but now its like I am obsessed. I want to be able to grow as many as I possibly can. I think the next to will be glenn and the second choice is a tough one. I really would like to try an asian cultivar but its hard for me to pick. I really would like something diffrent then nam doc mai. Not that there is anything wrong with it. I just want something that is not as common. I also have had a hard time with carrie and now I know I could grow graham. Even if requires more pruning, I don't mind. This is such an exciting hobby. All of my tropicals are growing so well. I have never had mango trees do so well. This is my third attempt and I almost decided not to try growing them again at all. To be honest they seem to be the easist tropical fruit to grow period! I can't wait for spring, this will definetly be an exciting growing season for me. Thank you everyone for your kind words and very helpfull advice!!
    Andrew

• bluepalm
    14 years ago

What's all this talk of Mallika OR Graham? Be like everyone else on this site: buy one, and then eventually buy the other one too. Geeesh.

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Hey Bluepalm,
    I envy your situation. I dream of having a huge conservatory and a xtra large garage that I can keep tropicals in. I really need more space but unfortunetly for me, I don't even own my own home yet. For me I have to listen to you guys and weigh ou the options and CAREFULLY choose what mangoes I really want to grow. I wish I would have thought it more when I bought the last two, but honestly I am happy with my pics. What do you think would be a great edition for my mango collection considering the ultimate height. I don't mind semidwarfs but no bigger then that. I can cut a whole in my apartment ceiling! LOL!!
    Andrew

• swrancher
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"What's all this talk of Mallika OR Graham? Be like everyone else on this site: buy one, and then eventually buy the other one too. Geeesh."

Bluepal - Yes, that's exactly what will happen but I have to at least try to fool myself that I'll only get one of them. Maybe this post should really have been which to get first? Ahhhh, yes, I can quit anytime I want too, I just dont want too. LOL.

• bluepalm
    14 years ago

Hmhausman might be the guy to ask regarding which varieties of mangos don't get too big (or ones that grow slowly)...he has a bunch of them. Off the top of my head I'd say Fairchild, Rosigold, Julie, Nam Doc Mai and the usual suspects that are marketed as condo mangos. If I remember correctly, out of the condo mangos, Fairchild is said to be the "smallest."
    SW Rancher; you're right. We are all tropical addicts on this site. I too have had internal debate about which one of two varieties I wanted. I now have both. : )

Bluepalm

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

smallest of the small would be Ice Cream, Julie, Pickering all stay 6-8 feet, Mallika, fairchild, cogshal unpruned i would say grow to 10 feet,

nam doc mai is medium upright and carrie is medium bushy about 12 feet.

pine island tries to push them in the condo category because you can prune them small.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Mango kush or Harry by any chance do either of you have the Pickering mango? I just came acrossed it on Pine Island's website and really liked the 6ft size. I would love to get one for a container or put it on the side of house close to the wall so I can better protect it. It seems to have been rated pretty well on PIN. Now, all I have to do is find one in my area. PIN is three hours from me one way :o(

• dr_scifi
    14 years ago

MAllika all the way! It is a good tree in our area and doesn't get sick. Very resilient tree. The only issue I have with it, if your not a patience person, dont bother. You have to pick the fruit at the right time when its green on the tree. LAter, wait for it to ripe. Do not eat early or it will taste like crap.... but once its fully ripe, it is one of the best mangos. I like it for it's resiliency. The mango is also pretty big the fruit. IT is not a small fruit, as its large!!

Good luck,

• bluepalm
    14 years ago

That's what is kind of cool about the Mallika; for optimum flavor it should be picked very early. This helps minimize your losses from squirrels and other marauding animals (humans included)!

• jb_fla
    14 years ago

Pug, how close are you to Sarasota? Crowleys Nursery has some really nice specimens for sale that are about 4' but very well branched. Not sure on the price, but they also have 3g for sale. I was just there last week.

I have a pickering and think that it tastes great and stays a small tree.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info on Pickering mango jb fla. I'm about two hours from Sarasota one way...I've heard of Crowleys when I lived in Bradenton about 6 yrs. ago. I'm kind of in the middle of nowhere,lol...glad to know that it will be a small tree and has great taste. Will have to check a few of my nurseries and see if they can get one for me? Some of them won't get mango trees till Feb. which is fine since I'm not planting anything till March anyway.

• swrancher
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I ended up picking the Graham Mango tree. this afternoon instead of doing some not so fun errands, I drove over to Pine Island Nursery and bought a nicely branched 7 gallon size Graham tree. I'll post some pictures after I plant it tomorrow.

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

good choice.

• swrancher
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's a picture of my just planted Graham Mango tree. I ended up putting it on a slooping area of my yard that gets sun all day long.

• swrancher
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's updated pictures of my Graham Mango tree. It has about 25 olive/small plum size fruit on it and I'm hopeful that I'll get to sample at least a few of them. Yes, my dog Barkley loves Mango. He has "Mangodar" and can be counted on to come running whenever one is cut or being eaten.

• swrancher
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Forgot to mention, I decided to get a Mallika tree at the Fairchild Mango Festival in July. Along with one or two others, LOL...

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

i love your dog.

• swrancher
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Kush - He's a real "people" dog with lots of personality.

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

What a beautiful dog...super cute! Trees look great...love all the baby mangoes on it!

• mangojoe_1975
    13 years ago

Mallika!! 150%

• bluepalm
    13 years ago

swrancher,
    Your tree looks great. Congratulations!

• swrancher
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Bluepalm, If I get any fruit from it this year I'm going to be thrilled.

• jlgarden53
    13 years ago

Never got to taste a so call 'best tasting mangoes' that frequently mentioned on this forum. Other than those mangoes available at stores, Xoai-Cat(Nam Doc Mai ?) is my best ever tasted mango. I still remember these mangoes today even though my last time having a Xoai-Cat was 30+ years ago growing up in Vietnam.
    Found this thread last year. It stated that mango taste test last year at Mango Festival at Fairchild, Nam Doc Mai and Mallika both were first place(a tie). I have a NDM and Mallika will be my next mango tree.
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropicalfruits/msg0720251515435.html

• bluepalm
    13 years ago

I've had Mallika a couple of times and find it good, but not excellent. My father doesn't care for them at all and thinks they have a "carrot" aftertaste. I would rather have a Kent, Keitt, Rosigold, Nam Doc Mai, Edward, Southern Blush or Valencia Pride over a Mallika.
    However, my father said "they make the best dehydrated mangos I have ever had." I have not had a chance to try them dehydrated. The Mallika this year has a good amount of mangos on them so we should probably harvest 30 or so.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

does anyone have a producing mallika tree in South Florida this season?

i REALLY want to try one, i have one spot left for either Mallika or Pickering.

Pickerings flavor seems to be appreciated by everyone, where Mallika seems to have a distinct flavor that is more subjective.

i understand the "carrot taste" description. when mangos mature off the tree they definitely acquire a "food" taste, sometimes like papaya. an over ripe Carrie has this characteristic.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Bryan:

I have a very few Mallika this year....they are still small and I have no idea how many, if any will make it to maturity. I'll try to keep you in mind when I have any to try. You should remind me from time to time so I don't forget.

Harry

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

thanks Harry, good thing i have a two week window to remind you

i know my mangos dont even make it into the house

• sleep
    13 years ago

SWrancher,

You could always graft a Mallika onto your newly planted Graham. I recently learned to graft with some success from watching YouTube video's , reading some Internet articles, etc.. I'm not sure about the size of the Graham however, if it is a large tree, it could outgrow/overwhealm the Mallika graft.

• boson
    13 years ago

Hi,

I have a fruiting mallika tree right now. It's growing in a pot. Looks like 4-5 good sized fruits, mostly green. Not a whole lot, but the tree is rather short in statue growing.

Tomas

• bluepalm
    12 years ago

I had my first Graham mango today; it was excellent. I would rank it above the Mallika. Like HMHausman said, the Mallika is very finicky in regards to when it must be picked and also eaten (I find they become over-ripe very quickly). Both are very good mangoes though, especially if you have a "just right" Mallika. However, having to cut open 8 mangos to find 2 good ones is not the way to go...unless the dehydrator is running and the sub-par ones can be cut up and put on the racks immediately. Of the mangos from my family's yard this is how I would rank them:
    1. Edward
    2. Kent/Dot
    3. Keitt/Graham/Good Mallika/Alphonso
    4. Glenn, Nam Doc Mai, Bailey's Marvel
    5. Florigon

I'm still waiting on the Maha Chinook and Lancetilla to produce.