Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bananafan

Mango Pickering & Brewster Lychee Blooming

bananafan
9 years ago

I was so excited to see my Mango Pickering and Brewster Lychee having so many spikes of blooms on them. The other mangoes and lychees are still in dormant stage. We'll see what happens in the next few weeks or so. But, I'm especially impressed with the surprise with the two of my garden favorites.

I'll take some picture to share soon when I get to it.

Comments (15)

• emmylovesmango
    9 years ago

Looking forward to the pics! My Pickering has yet to start blooming

• bananafan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Spikes showing young flower buds on my Brewster lychee.

• bananafan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another picture of Brewster lychee early bloom.

• bananafan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's a happy sight for me, but I hope all these blooms will develop well. The most feared factor is the web worm that destroy them ... keeping my fingers crossed this year.

• bananafan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's Mango Pickering. The spikes started emerging 2 weeks ago and now they have grown.

• bananafan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another picture of Mango PIckering.

• bananafan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a little extra surprise. This Camelia is keen to show off its blooms. It's still in the pot. I'll try to find a place to plant it after it has finished its blooms.

• dangermouse01 (coastal central FL 9B)
    9 years ago

Very nice bananafan!
    I've got blooms on all my mangoes (except the Peach Cobbler, which is my smallest & newest).
    Sweetheart and Hak Ip lychee are starting to get wound up and going to be doing something soon.
    See Champoo longan has a bloom spike.

DM

• bananafan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Emmy, look forward to pictures of your Pickering too. This time around, I have been feeding Mango Pickering more than the other mangoes. I wonder if it's the fish emulsion that I've been feeding that is making the difference and that is earlier show of those bloom spikes.

• bananafan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks DM. I look forward to pictures of your mango blooms too. I'm glad to hear that your Champoo longon is spiking. My 4-ft tall Biew Kiew bought last year isn't doing good at all. It bore a few fruit last season and now the whole plant is infected with mealy bugs. Lots of white stuff to clean up. I think the colder weather makes the plant more susceptible to the infection. I always don't have much luck with longans.

Anyway, I do hope your lychees will bring nice surprises to you soon. Isn't it nice to look forward to the warmer growing season already?

• emmylovesmango
    9 years ago

Bananafan you must be sooo excited! My Pickering is potted and I don't feel confident that it will bloom this year, but finger's crossed :).

I just bought a Sweetheart because I decided to venture outside the "mango box", but not expecting any fruit from that this year either. Keep us posted about your progress and send me some of those lychees!!

• dangermouse01 (coastal central FL 9B)
    9 years ago

Here is a bloom spike on my Pickering, trees still small so maybe I will let it hold 1 or 2 fruits.
    {{gwi:2131809}}

One of my two Coconut cream mangoes (other side of the tree is just as loaded with flowers)
    {{gwi:2131810}}

Some BB sized fruitlets on my NDM (PPK in the background).
    {{gwi:2131811}}

My PPK.
    {{gwi:2131812}}

My Kent (kind of an odd perspective for some reason)
    {{gwi:2131813}}

My Mallika, it's early in it's blooming, but my Southern Blush, Lemon Zest and Irwin are all about the same stage, just a couple spikes so far.
    {{gwi:2131814}}

And a added bonus, picture of a couple flowers on my Grimal Jaboticaba.
    {{gwi:2131815}}

DM

• seagel
    9 years ago

Very nice photos!

• bananafan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

DM,

I love all of your mango pictures ... so beautiful all of them. I'm very interested to find out how the coconut cream taste. Have you tasted one yet? I bought one last year and I planted it in the ground. It hasn't shown anything yet. Have you been feeding all your mangoes?

The Grimal Jaboticaba looks very interesting too. How long have you had it. What's the taste of the fruit like?

What a happy sight ... thanks for sharing your garden gems :)

• bananafan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Emmy,

How big is your Sweetheart? Lychees do produce some fruit even when they're small, so yours may do something for you. I have some in the pots and I feed them very lightly with fish emulsion. I have killed some in the past by feeding them with regular ferts. It's always nice to have some of each variety of fruit so you don't put all the eggs in one basket.

Hope to see some pictures of your plants when you have them taken.