Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
simon_grow

Cherimoyas available

simon_grow
13 years ago

Hey everyone, I just got an email from Dario saying that the Cherimoyas are finally ready! It appears their website, cherimoya.com has not been updated however. I tried to place an order and Cherimoyas were not on their list of fruit available. I emailed him and hopefully they will get the issue resolved soon.

I can't wait to taste the first Cherimoyas of the season!

Comments (46)

• marinfla
    13 years ago

Thanks for the Info!

• tammysf
    13 years ago

you beat me to the punch....i got an email from dario as well and am so excited for cherimoya season.

• simon_grow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I checked out their website and they have updated the site. I purchased 5 lbs to start with and I'm sure I'll order more before the season is over.

I thought there were some excellent discussions and judging on the many different varieties we got in last year. It would be interesting to see how everyones favorite varieties from last year compare to this year. I wonder if the delayed ripening of the Cherimoyas will affect the sweetness or flavor of each variety?

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

Here are White and Booth cherimoyas...oh, and a Fuerte and a Bacon

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

Are these a lot smaller than last year? I ordered 10 lbs and they should be here tomorrow. Hope they will be good at the beginning of the season.

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

Ch3rri -

These are not from Dario these are from Atkins nursery in Fallbrook and they are $1 for two.

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Too bad my USB ports are not working or I could post pics of my order. The fruits look great. Two of them were much larger than the others. I recieved 5 in all with about 7 meyer lemons. I didn't ask for them to be labeled. Did any of you??
    They are all rock hard so I know it will be a while before there ripened. I have teo in bags right now.

I was actually surprised to see them they were given to me as a gift! What an awesome surprise during these frigid temps!
    Do you think that the fruits could be affected by being outside in the cold temps? The darn mailman had them in front of my neighbors door!
    Andrew

• tammysf
    13 years ago

i ordered some also....can't wait to get them.

right now they have bays, fino de jete and pierce.

i also got some sapote to try.

• yaslan
    13 years ago

I couldn't resist so I bought some too!! Now, I am very excited and can't wait til they arrive!!

Hi Andrew!! ( :

-Bo

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

I was suppose to receive my cherimoyas on Wednesday. I guess the mailman was off because of the snow. I hope they didn't leave the fruits in the truck out in the cold....:( Can't wait to get mine. :)

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

I just wanted to share with everyone that I cut into my first fruit and it was just as good as I remembered from last year! I don't like to eat mine crunchy though. I waited till it was fully ripe. Based on the flavor, I will say it was either Fino de Jete or Pierce. Definetly not a bays.
    Andrew

• tammysf
    13 years ago

andrew, i like my cherimoyas soft where i can eat them with a spoon...so delish...i can't wait to get mine.

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hi Tammy,
    I agree with you, though the one I cut was a little under ripe. I am hoping the other half may ripen in the fridge.
    Andrew

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

I ate my first cherimoya and it was sweet. However, it was a lot of seeds. I will eat more later to see if there is any different from last year. I might just wait until they go on sale like last year or until the middle of the season to buy more.

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

I went to eat another cherimoya after my last message. Man I was disappointed. This cherimoya was not sweet at all. It was just plain and lots of seeds. And after eating it I feel my throat is a little itchy. So far both cherimoya were soft and no chewiness.

I will definitely wait until the middle or later season to order again. I will also ask for label or certain type because not all type of cherimoya is good. :(

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Wow Kristi that sucks! I have not had that misfortune yet. I did have one that wasn't sweet but that was my fault. I cut it too soon. I have now cut three and all were good minus one but so far so good. I also wont be buying more right away. I wonder also if having them left on the porch in the cold would affect there flavor.

I also forgot to mention that I did notice that the last one I cut into was also very seedy but the flavor was still nice and sweet. I don't care for any chewiness, and have not found that yet at all.

Andrew

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

Just cut my Booth sweet, juicy not sandy a hint of pineapple and mango, perfect taste my favorite cherimoya so far. I've tried Pierce, White, El Bumpo, Fino de Jete, Honeyheart and some seedlings and I plan to try Bay and Selma if I can find them.

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

Here are a few more Booths and Whites I picked up

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

You guys on the west coast have it too good. Cherimoyas 2 for a dollar??? I love them, but the price for them online limits me to ordering once a season.

• simon_grow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jsvand5, the ones for 2 for a dollar are usually at the farmers markets and are very small and usually miss-shapped. We do get very good locally grown Cherimoyas usually at the asian markets but they go for about 4.99/lbs. Lucky Seafood in Mira Mesa has some excellent Dr. White for 4.99/lbs, usually the larger ones, close to 2lbs are my favorite, with excellent flavor and a high flesh, low seed count. Dr. White is too sweet for many people but not me and I just love the super smooth, silky juicy flesh!

I cut into one of my Cherimoya.com fruit yesterday and the flesh was great tasting, medium seediness and my only complaint is that there was just a touch more grittiness near the skin than normal. I'll have to cut into a few more fruit to see how the overall shipment was. Cherimoyas are one of my favorite fruit and we are so lucky we can get them shipped to our houses.

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

I was totally disappointed with this order. There were more than one that was not sweet. I think only the two largest one has great flavor. The rest were small or medium sizes, not too sweet, seedy, and like Simon said more grittiness near the skin. I got a total of 8 cherimoyas for the 10 lbs. Here is a picture of one I cut. You can see mostly seeds. I counted 108 seeds in that one fruit. I remember last year my largest seeds count for a large fruit was only around 50's. I really did not enjoy this order...makes me not so excited about cherimoya anymore.:(

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

simon_grow -

you are right, these are from a Farmers Market and the first one I tried was not very sweet and had lots of seeds. The Booth and the White from Fallbrook were excellent with very little seeds.

Later in the season you can find them in the 99 ranch market and super king market for $1.99 a pound.

• nullzero
    13 years ago

I picked up excellent large Cherimoyas from a super market in Little Saigon, it was the best tasting cherimoya so far (until I get mine producing). I believe the price I paid for it was like $3.50 a pound.

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

Out the 7 chirimoya I posted 2 were bad 5 were absolutely delicious. Here is the last one of the bunch. Creamy and meaty only 20 seeds.

• simon_grow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Back at my old house where I had a large cherimoya tree, I noticed that the fruit were of lower quality when we had crazy weather. I remember that some of my fruit were actually super hard like a baseball and absolutely not edible one year (on about 1/5 the total harvest).

The two cherimoyas I got from Cherimoya.com I still consider great, last year, they were excellent. I'm still hopeful that the later cherimoyas will develope better. At least the Cherimoya season lasts a lot longer than the Lychee season.

• esco_socal
    13 years ago

Just want to share with everyone the cherimoyas I got. These are from a local grower :) I don't think this picture does its justice for their sizes

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Wow...those sure are beauties! What kind are they?

Harry

• esco_socal
    13 years ago

Harry
    The owner said most of his trees are Booth along with several of other cultivars. Unfortunately, he doesn't remember them all.
    2 smaller ones in the front - unknown
    biggest one in the left side - unknown
    the rest of them are Booth

Tim

• simon_grow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

esco socal, those Cherimoya's look absolutely beautiful. The larger ones look a lot like Dr. White.

The last 3 cherimoyas I cut into were horrible tasting and not sweet at all. I hope the mid-late season cherimoyas are better.

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

I've had similar problems with chirimoyas this season - it a 50/50 slip. I'm having the same problems with my mature Navel Orange tree - first time in 20 years- maybe it was the heavy rain, anyone in SoCal having the same problems with their fruits???

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Man, too bad you can't get cherimoyas like that from Dario! Then again, you would probobly only get 2 or 3! LMAO! I agree that you Californians are soo lucky!! I am hoping my grafted Fino will fruit in another year. I also got a nice grafted 'Honey Heart' from Jay, that hopefully will bear in a few more years.

I really like the cherimoya. There a great subsitute when you cannot get a good mango!

I also want to hold out on buying more cherimoya. At least for now. I enjoyed my fruits but they were pretty darn seedy. I may also give Calimoya a try this year.

Andrew

• simon_grow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just opened a home grown Cherimoya grown by my inlaws and the flavor was good but it didn't ripen properly. some parts were very sweet, the outer parts were very hard and discolored.

• esco_socal
    13 years ago

Simon/Jfernandez & other cherimoya experts...ideally, what are Booth & Dr. White cherimoyas supposed to taste like?

Tim

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

esco socal -

I'm no chirimoya expert but I have a Booth and I've tasted quite a few White's and I would rate the Booth better, it's my favorite I have a Pierce also. Booth is creamy sweet very little seeds and combination of coconut, mango and vanilla. White is a little firmer gritty lemony and pineapple with lots of seeds.

• simon_grow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Tim, I'm definitely no expert with cherimoyas but I am a confessed fruit snob, LOL. Contrary to jfernandez, my favorite cherimoya is Dr. White. In my personal opinion, I feel that Cherimoyas sometimes differ in flavor from season to season and even from fruit to fruit from the same tree. The difference from fruit to fruit from the same tree is most noticeable when you compare the early to mid to late fruit. The difference is even more noticeable when there are drastic changes in weather such as this year for example.

Haveing stated my disclaimer, I must mention that each cultivar in general will have certain flavor and texture profiles that characterize them and are very similar from tree to tree and from season to season in general. here are my notes I took from the 2010 Cherimoya season which was an excellent year for Cherimoyas:

Dr White-Large, very sweet with good acidity, slightly lemony with hints of pineapple. slightly gritty near skin. Lots of flesh compared to the few number of seeds.

Booth-Medium, very noticeable lemony flavor, not overly sweet with good acidity, slightly gritty near skin.

Hybrid-from Calimoya-Large, sweet but not too sweet, very juicy, not much acidity, skin super soft, few seeds, white flesh, velvety in texture.

Selma-small, dark colored skin, tan flesh near the skin, gritty seeds, ok acidity (usually Selma has more acidity but 2010 was less acidic).

Chaffey-med sized, yellowish green skin, skin very soft, average cherimoya flavor, not too sweet, low acidity, medium smoothness, not worth planting noted on my notes although I saved some seeds for some reason.

If you like very very sweet, you may like Dr. White. I feel Dr. White has very good acidity but others may find that the sweetness may mask some of the acidity. If you like more noticeable acidity lemony flavor without being overly sweet, you may prefer the Booth.

I would really like to try El Bumpo and Honeyheart as I have heard very good things about them.

• jacob13
    13 years ago

Hello Friends,

Went by the grocery store tonight. They just had a new shipment of Cherimoyas arrive. They were $8.99 per pound. They were all about 2 lbs each, so they came to like $16.00 each. I was so tempted to buy 1 but the price was a little too high. Think I am gonna go to the Farmers Market this weekend.

• esco_socal
    13 years ago

more cherimoyas !!!!!!!!

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

WOW! Now that is a table to be admired. Enjoy them.....(he says fighting back an intense drool)

Harry

• esco_socal
    13 years ago

Thanks Harry :)
    Honestly, I feel the same way reading your mango posts. These cherimoyas are consistent with Simon's description of Booths (very noticeable lemony flavor, not overly sweet with good acidity) without the grittiness though. For my tart loving tongue, it's got a good balance.

Hey, maybe I can send you a box in exchange for a box of your mangos this season.

Tim

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

I would be most pleased to receive a box of cherimoyas and would gladly reciprocate with a box of mangoes!!!

Harry

• esco_socal
    13 years ago

Deal!!! email me your info please

Tim

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Tim...e-mail sent.
    Thanks!

Harry

• esco_socal
    13 years ago

Happy Eating :)

Tim

{{gwi:1305249}}

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Many thanks, in advance. I'm looking forward to receiving them. What kind were you able to send??

Harry

• nullzero
    13 years ago

Just picked my only Elixir cherimoya yesterday. Its smallish and sun burnt, but still edible :). The container tree was on the smaller side when it bared this fruit. I am hoping I get a decent tasting fruit, will update with the taste if its worth posting lol.

• esco_socal
    13 years ago

I really don't know which varieties were sent in that box :) The only thing I know is there are 3, I think, different kinds. Sorry, i'm not much help on that.

A couple of the smaller ones may arrive ready to eat also.

Tim