Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gcmastiffs

Small Cacao thrill!

gcmastiffs
17 years ago

My potted Cacao tree has a fruit on it! It flowered quite a bit last year, but I sure didn't expect it to set fruit now. It is only about 2 years old (?), although already too tall to fit under the house eaves anymore.

The fruit is small. My husband laughed when I showed it to him. If it grows to a reasonable size, I'll post a picture(G).

Lisa

Comments (21)

• red_sea_me
    17 years ago

wow, congrats Lisa, you dont have a green thumb, its the whole arm. Would love to see a pic when its bigger.
    -Ethan

• patusho25
    17 years ago

That`s right Lisa, seems like Theobromas start flowering at a very young age. I got some Theobroma angustifolia which started flowering at 6 months old (after seed germination), it hasn`t hold any fruit, though. Hope you still can get some fruit that young.

• ohiojay
    17 years ago

Lisa...how about some photos of the young fruit now? Would love to see them and a couple of the tree itself.

• Gardener972
    17 years ago

Photos now... can't wait!

• gcmastiffs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Eeeuuwww. It looks too ugly right now to pose for pictures(G). It is in the house until night-time temps go back up. It has the typical brown-edged leaves of Cacao in Florida that are not greenhouse-raised. It is keeping the Breadfruit and Sealing Wax Palms entertained with tall tales.

I'm planning to build a shelter of sorts for it, and the Breadfruit, outside this spring. Will have to use telephone poles as "bones" for shadecloth/windbreaks. These trees get big in a hurry!

I'll try some creative photography tomorrow, that doesn't show how bad the foliage is. The fruit is so tiny, it might not make it. But I was still excited to find it(G).

Lisa

• orchidguyftl
    17 years ago

hey
    great
    where did you get it?
    I've been looking for a plant
    is it a good variety? one that will grow good seeds/nibs?

• gcmastiffs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Orchidguy, I bought my Red-Fruiting Cacao from Pine Island Nursery in Miami. It has been easy to grow, and survived the hurricanes. The fruit on it now is its first.

You can also get very large, gorgeous, fruiting Cacao trees at Excelsia Nursey in Loxahatchee.

Excalibur Rare Fruit Tree Nursery in Lake Worth has them too.

Lisa

• orchidguyftl
    17 years ago

oh ok
    thats great to know
    didnt know Excalibur had them
    I'm going to Miami this weekend for the orchid show
    I'll check into Pine Island

• orchidguyftl
    17 years ago

Hey Lisa,
    Thanx for the info. I emailed Pine Islands and they only had yelow fruiting plants left. Fortunately they were saving me a plant to pick up today as I was to be in the area for the Miami Orchid show, the unfortunate thing is that Fairchild gardens ordered a bunch of the trees for their chocolate festival this weekend and accidently shipped my tree there. The fortunate thing is that they called Fairchild Gardens and told them that I was going to stop by and pick it up. So today I stopped at Fairchild after the orchid show and picked up my cacao.
    Glad I got everything straightened out and I am loving my plant. trying to find out as much about it as I can.
    Hope yours is doing well
    will keep you posted on mine
    thanx again
    John

• tropicaliste
    17 years ago

I was holding off on getting a Cacao because of the likelihood of it fruiting anytime soon and moving onto some grafted or similar quick-fruiting plants, but now you've made me want to get Cacao again. Oh what to do -

• gcmastiffs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

For your amusement(G). Here is the fruit. It has reach 1.5 inches in length! I check on it every day, and have been misting/soaking the entire tree 3 times a day lately. It really seems to be liking the extra attention.

Seems silly to be so excited about such a small thing, but hey, it's my very first Cacao(G).

Lisa

• ohiojay
    17 years ago

That's just way too cool. Great job! Are there any more flowers on the plant? Did you do anything at all to help pollenate? Thanks for the pic.

• tropicaliste
    17 years ago

Silly?!?!?!?!
    Noooooo way!
    That is just awesome. I would go nuts if I had a fruiting Cacao in my yard. I get excited over tomatoes fruiting, lol. Thanks for sharing!

• gcmastiffs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ohiojay, I did not do anything to help pollinate the tree. It is my only Cacao, so it pollinated itself. It is not flowering now, but did flower most of last year.

It will be going in the ground soon, now that the telephone poles have arrived, and construction of my protected "Tropical Triangle" can begin in earnest. I've already begun bringing in good, rich soil, and killing off the grass in the planting area. The bases of the poles are much larger than expected, so we will propably rent a mechanical digger instead of hand-digging the holes.
    I hope the tree doesn't drop the fruit from shock after being planted. I'll be very, very gentle with it.

I'll get pictures(G).

Lisa

• rhizophora
    17 years ago

Wow! Best of luck! You really must care for it well to have it fruit! :)

• orchidguyftl
    17 years ago

mine seems to be adjusting pretty good, though I lost the new leaves
    the stem is still in good shape, seems to be putting out new growthnow
    I think I lost the newer leaves due to spraying, I forgot that I had it under some plants that I spray
    so now I have it moved under my tree fern by the pond, I dont spray that area
    hopefully it wil be ok

• gcmastiffs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Orchidguy, congrats on your new Cacao! I learned that they really, really like to be misted/wet down several times a day. Since it is so dry here, I've been extra vigilent about watering it and the Breadfruit. With the all-over moisture, both trees are sprouting new growth on the trunks, from a few inches above the soil, to the tip-tops.

Good luck with it! They really are fun to grow!

Lisa

• orchidguyftl
    17 years ago

great
    thanks for the heads up
    I'm looking foward to the time when I can harvest my pods
    some of my South American students tell me that I will love the flavor of the pulp
    I figured they needed a bit more humidity
    thats another reason I moved it next to the pond

• rhizophora
    15 years ago

So how did it go?

• jsvand5
    15 years ago

Did the pod end up developing for you?

• hkmai
    9 years ago

@gcmastiffs, what part(s) of the tree do you mist/wet everyday? Just the soil? I'm in Marina del Rey, CA and my cacao is potted. Air here is not as humid as it is in Florida. Thanks

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County