Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tydiggy0628

Growing Papaya Tree in Socal

tydiggy0628
9 years ago

HI all,

just went to the backyard this morning and noticed that there are quite a few of flower buds and a few that look like fruits. based on the pictures, can someone confirm that they are in the early stages of fruits? If so, which variety would it be? have been trying this for a few years now n hoping that these are in deed fruits. it is still winter here (though not too cold) but will dip into the 40s perhaps upper 30s here n there. will the fruits stick? please advise.
thanks a bunch!

Comments (17)

• myamberdog
    9 years ago

Those are definitely fruits, tydiggitydog! Lucky u...and yes, unless you get a frost they should keep but will take many months (in my experience) to completely ripen....like maybe August, September?

Just a guess...good luck and plant looks GREAT!

MADoggie

• myamberdog
    9 years ago

I would say Hermie, but that's just my guess, and yes they could stick if we don't get any significant cold over the next month. As far as variety, not a clue.....the leaves are pretty similar on all the ones I've grown....now let's see....a picture of mine BEFORE the frost got to them (taken in June of Last year).....

grrrrrr.............Maddy

• myamberdog
    9 years ago

Another taken in November of this last year...they've all been cut back to about 3 feet high now...

maddy

• greenman62
    9 years ago

maddy
    thats a heck of a trunk. looks 8 inches in diameter !
    what variety is that ?
    i bought some "Known You #1 " and "Tainung #2 "
    from aloha a while back because they were more "stout" looking trees. i figure if i can keep them short, they will take the cold better.

mine is just a bit smaller.
    is there a reason you dont cut
    the top few inches off when they grow ?
    it keeps them much shorter, and easier to get the fruit.

tydiggy0628
    it looks either female, or herm. more than likely herm.
    its a very interesting purple color
    and very healthy looking tree.

the purple could have to do with variety, or minerals in the soil, or weather... LOL, no telling.

whered you get the seed ?
    some varieties only produce females and herms
    the last 5 trees i grew from store-bought seed
    ALL were HERM !
    the growers like a large % herm
    so they dont have to pull up any males
    and the seed from the herm is better
    since it produces more herms.

i just read a paper on how the brix (sweetness) goes up if you thin the fruit
    not as many fruit = sweeter fruit.
    yours actually doesnt seem to be overly productive though.
    mine has a lot more flowers. i pluck a few off here and there.

• greenman62
    9 years ago

myamberdog

what do you do with 100lb of rotting papaya ?

it happens to me almost every year.

• tydiggy1628
    9 years ago

Here is an update of the papaya tree. the fruits are getting bigger! i am excited! how long does it takes for the fruit to mature and ripe? i cant wait to harvest the fruit! i have about 15 other papaya trees in different sizes. i am hoping that a few of them will produce some fruits too! does anyone know which variety this would be? thanks in adv.

• mangofang
    9 years ago

greenman - yeah, that is a bummer. I've discovered however that perfectly hard and green fruit will ripen in a paper bag! Amazing, cuz I thought it had to have some color on it to ever ripen off the tree.

Tydiggity - told you, it takes a number of months for those puppies to ripen. Maybe in July...or August???

• greenman62
    9 years ago

mangofang
    great to hear. i will try that !

tydiggy1628 yes,, several months... its very hard to determine variety, but, those fruit actually dont look like ANY papaya ive seen before...

where did you get the seed ??

• sueanne777
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My Red Lady Papaya is filling out with new leaves after the frost from feb. 2015. Will try and keep it smaller so I can cover the whole tree to the top. I like to eat them green raw in salads & cooked. Helps to keep the tree growing more fruit till frost time.

• bangkook thailand
    9 years ago

Are red lady papaya's big tree's? I planted 3 seeds and 1 came up today. I want to find a good spot for them but have to know how tall/wide they grow?

• sueanne777
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

So far I have been able to pick the fruit without a ladder.

• greenman62
    9 years ago

it seems they have a habit of growing wider, and not as tall

• bangkook thailand
    9 years ago

Allright thanks, I will grow one in a big pot to see if that's possible.

• sueanne777
    9 years ago

Cannot get to download photos. Do they have to be a certain size?

• tydiggy1628
    9 years ago

@greenman - the tree was given to us a year ago when it was about 1 1/2 ft from our neighbor. i do not know which variety this is but from what i heard, i believe it is a Taiwan variety...perhaps a Taiwan Maradol? the fruits are getting bigger as we speak. i will post some more pics soon.

Please post ur pics too everyone!

• snava360
    6 years ago

Can I get some seeds from you from the papaya tree that gets purple flowers I have never seen this befor ?