Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mangodog_gw

Timotayo Mango - Pic and Description

mangodog
13 years ago

I procured this article on the Timotayo Mango from LaVerne Nurseries. It was developed in Camarillao, California by Mr. Tim Thompson. Camarillo is right on the coast, about 15-20 miles south of Santa Barbara - and known for its strawberry fields, cool moderate weather and coastal fog. A picture of one I purchased and planted in December is also included - note the short fat leaves, and it is grafted - don't know the root stock.

The wire cage is for protection from stray water volleyballs in the heat of battle ... and to use to hold a cover at least in its first year for cold weather.....have not tasted one as yet....

Let me also add that the ripening times and some diseae resistance he mentions for the tree do not hold for out here in the Sonoran desert - we'll just have to see how it all unfolds - luck and everything else of course!

Cheers - MangoPitBull

Comments (18)

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

Gary -

Do me favor and bring this documentation to Thursdays meeting.

Thanks
    JF

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Very interesting looking leaves. I wonder if it will keep those characteristics. Has it flushed any new growth since? Do the leaves look the same?

• abayomi
    13 years ago

Very interesting write up. Thanks for posting.

• mangodog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

JF - aye aye - will bring to meeting

Mura - nope, no new growth yet - been so chilly here the last month, but we're in a warm spell now, so we'll see...
    yeah, i do hope the leaves keep their stubby appearance - rather cute don't you think?

Aba - your welcome - there is just so little on the internet about this mango so I'm a bit excited.

Also - I just wrote Mr. Thompson a letter at the address at the top of the article asking him to respond on how his mango genesis work is going, and also to ask if he gives tours or allows visitors to see his site....I think he's a realtor who does this on the side....well....a bit more than a passing hobby I'd assume....hopefully he'll respond....

mangofurball

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

Mangoconqueror

your Timotayo will thrive in your climate....if Mr. Thompson harvest his in Oct. you will get your in Aug. - great pick!

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

Mangifera Canine,
    I believe Mr. Thomson has passed away, here is a page that has a link to a reprint of the obituary.

Your tree does look nice and healthy, it will be interesting to follow it's progress.

cheers,
    -Ethan

Here is a link that might be useful: Mr. Paul Thomson

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

Sorry, I'm a D/A, I just noticed......Tim not Paul.

carry on,
    -E

• nullzero
    12 years ago

Thanks for this post, I am going to pick this Mango up in a week. Think it will perform well in Orange County.

• mangodog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I hope so Null. I'm sorry to report I had to pull mine out of the garden a few weeks ago and plant in a pot to see if I could get it to come back to growing again. It may have not been the plants fault - my dog may have found too much of a favorite place to pee and this tree got over-nitrogenated. Not sure....let's see if I can flush whatever it is that is bothering it out of existence (if that is indeed the problem) and start again - It only grew one flush of growth all of last year....will keep you posted as to how it recovers....

mangoLassie

• nullzero
    12 years ago

Mangodog,

Sorry to hear that, keep me updated when it recovers.

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

NUll,

If I were you I would reconsider. Here is an old thread about the Timotayo.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropicalfruits/msg1118595821738.html

• nullzero
    12 years ago

I did not catch this post, I was assuming it was a fiberless mango. Yeah I may reconsider now, I don't plan to get another mango for a while after this purchase.

So now I am undecided between Glenn and Golden Nugget.

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Null
    I would go for the Glenn it's super easy very cold hardy and absolutely delicious

JF

• nullzero
    12 years ago

JF,

Thanks I am going to go for that most likely (unless I have a spur of the moment change). Going to be getting it locally for a good price in a 5gal.

Pine Island Mango Viewer, gives it very high marks. My mango collection will be Manila, Ewais, Julie, and most likely Glenn. Done for now, until I get an itch for another mango tree next year lol.

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Null

That's a great start! Others to consider are Haden, Nam Doc Mai and Valencia Pride but they are not as good as Glenn tastewise. I'm really interested to see how your Julie and Ewais turn out. In the next couple of years we need to meet up and exchange scions.

JF

• nullzero
    12 years ago

JF,

Definitely, would love to meet up sometime in the future. And exchange some scion. I just need to learn how to graft successfully now!

Julie is doing ok, it was stunted for a while. I ordered it from Ebay about a year and a half ago. The Ebay seller is out of business now, but the tree came to me with Anthracnose infection. I have been treating it with fungicide, and it seems to have cleared up about 6 months ago.

Ewais was purchased from Roger, I believe the rootstock is Manila. Tree is on the taller side with a higher graft, it had some leaf tip burn due to some mild drought (Roger informed me was mild and should recover fast). I have new leaf buds emerging all over the tree, so it should look very nice in a month or two. I have high expectations for this tree.

Manila I purchased about 6 months ago from Lowes for $10. It was discounted because of its appearance (leaf tip burn and tattered look). I took a close look and figured it may be salt build up and high ph water. Repot in a nice container mix in a 15 gal container. Tree is doing excellent putting out healthy looking leaves and has flushed 2 times since purchase.

I was thinking of using the Manila to graft onto, and top working a variety onto it.

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Null

that's what I'm doing with my Manila and my Ataulfo seedlings...fruits were not very good on the Manila, we'll see this year about the Ataulfo.

JF

• Ranulf Bennet
    3 years ago

I wasted three years watching my 'Timotayo' do nothing in the ground. I contacted La Verne Nursery for advice but received nothing useful. Finally, I dug it up and placed it in a 5-gallon container but it will undoubtedly die. I have been collecting and growing some of the world's rarest botanical species (Amaryllidaceae, Arecaceae, Cycads, etc.) for almost 50 years but couldn't grow this. I live in a Sunset Zone 23 area in Orange County, CA, warmer in the summer than Camarillo but otherwise a very similar climate to Camarillo. There are many Mango trees growing and producing fruit in the immediate area. Most of them seem to be growing with little attention to watering or fertilizing. These have been growing for years, so they are not 'Timotayo' Bottom line- I will try another Mango but not 'Timotayo'. Tha's OK- according to some comments "Timotayo' fruit isn't even very tasty. Note- as of today, La Verne Nursery only has Mango 'Manila' in stock. That should tell us something.