Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marinfla

New Years Day Project 2012

marinfla
12 years ago

Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts on the dragon fruit trellis I started last month. On New Years Day I completed the final fabrication using lots of the input I received.

I wrapped the post with burlap using zip ties and a staple gun, sprayed the rebar and metal with a rustproofing primer, covered it with a weather resistant plastic lattice. I cut a 4x4 inch hole in the bottom of the pot. After digging a 1.5 - 2 foot deep hole in the ground I placed the post through the cut out in the pot and secured the post in ground, then dropped the pot to the ground and filled it with potting soil. I have already planted the Haley's Comet as you can see in the pics and will plant the Physical Gaffity on the other side of the post tomorrow. The post is very sturdy and the top is very secure. Now I am praying to the weather gods for mild temperatures! Many thanks again for sharing your thoughts and ideas, I really appreciate it!

Comments (12)

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Very well thought out and considered Marin. You're good to go for quite a while. Eventually, the only problematic issue I foresee for this set up is the amount of weight that the plastic lattice can hold. It is difficult to really tell from the picture how sturdy this is. When I first glanced at the picture, before I read your description, I was immediately of the opinion that you used wood lattice. While the plant would love that, the wood would be expected to break down and not hold the weight of the plant once it gets large enough. It is amazing how heavy these things can get. In nature, I have heard of a huge plant virtually engulfing a tree and which then, under the shear weight of the dragonfruit, snapped the tree. I have planted a bunch of dragonfruit on dead trees. The dragonfruit love it. But in almost every case, the dead tree has rotted to a point that it could not hold the plant. The good news is that where ever the plant lands, once it hits the ground, is a perfect place for the plant to keep growing. My plan is to just add some wood mulch around the fallen area and let them keep growing right on the ground, allowing the rotten dead tree to remain until it totally disintegrates. In your situation, you will have some time before this becomes an issue. You can always ad support to your horizontal lattice structure as may be needed later. Of course, keep us posted. Best of luck with this. I'll look forward to the day that you have an over abundance of plant growth and way too may dragonfruit to eat!

Harry

• nullzero
    12 years ago

Nice job, I need to work on constructing a Dragon Fruit trellis. I currently only have a regular cross pattern wood trellis from HD stuck in the pot.

I was thinking of using (4) sturdy smaller width stakes in, 1 in each corner. Then joining the tops together with nails/staples on a 6"x6" wood square. From the wood square could staple gun 3' wood stakes in a cross section pattern.

• stressbaby
    12 years ago

I just put one in the ground inside the GH. I used a 6x6 and I've got 'David Bowie' and 'American Beauty.'

How important is the burlap? I grew these earlier on just bare wood support, I was hoping to do the same this time.

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

The burlap is useful to hold mositure but is not required.....except if you are using pressure treated or even some painted wood. The aerial roots put out by a dragonfruit will not long adhere to a pressure treated wood surface....even if you don't mind the flavor of the creosode in your fruits.

Harry

• marinfla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Harry, It may not be visible in the photo unless you zoom it in but the gavanized steel mesh that I started with is under the lattice to support it and the rebar crossbars are tied to all of it . I latched it to the lattice with zip ties. This way it provides support without plant actually laying on the metal. I sprayed the rebar and support mesh with a rust/ corrosian preventative primer. PS I thought it was 'beautiful' but my kids asked me if it was staying on te front yard and waited for my answer to tell me how ugly it was LOL. No one here appreciates my hobby.

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Ahhh.....I see the rebar now and mesh in addition? Good job. I think it is lovely....tell your kids they don't know beautiful artwork when they see it. Tell them to go take a class in modern art.

Harry

• marinfla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@ Harry, I tried that they laughed at me :)My daughter thought I built in in the front and planned to drag it out to the back yard until she found out over a foot of the post was buried in the ground under the LOL.

@ Nullzero, I could help you construct one like I made and it wasn't break the bank expensive. I still have a a lot left from the big roll of burlap I can donate to you. Or I could email you a step by step instruction list with a supply list.

@ Stressbaby, I used a pressure treated 4x4 that's why I used the burlap...plus I can saturate the burlap with MG liquid for the attaching roots to absorb

• nullzero
    12 years ago

Marinfla,

That is so generous of you, I may take you up on that (can send some interesting fruit/vegetable seeds/plants to you). I was looking at repotting two dragon fruit plants soon. I wanted to get around to making the dragon fruit trellis.

• ohiojay
    12 years ago

Looks good. I have one question though...why not plant it directly into the ground?

Many DF orchards in Thailand now have stopped using any type of top working support. They just put a post into the ground and allow the plant to hang on its own. Also keeping the posts at about 4 feet max. Saves a lot of labor on constructing and maintaining of the support structures as well as labor for picking.

Warren and I were both skeptical over this until we started seeing more mature plantings. After being pruned, they formed a natural waterfall of branches that supported themselves very well. But I also believe this application is more suited to the orchards versus home plantings... unless space is a consideration.

• stressbaby
    12 years ago

I guess I need to find some burlap. Thanks guys.

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Home Depot has burlap here in Florida, at least.

Harry

• marinfla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ohiojay... I thought about planting it into the ground. I decided not to for a couple of reasons. 1. the plant could be more mobile and easily relocated if needed. 2. It would not be damaged by the landscapers that high up off the ground.