Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joep450

Observation: Mango Seedling Differences

JoeP450
12 years ago

Today I decided to pot-up my seedling mangos from 1 gallon to 3 gallon plastic pots. I am mainly growing them to eventually try my hand at grafting my better mango cultivars, except for the ivory seedling. I know people say that mangos from seedling trees taste horrible, but at any rate my curiosity is forcing me to wait till the end of time to see what this ivory seedling will produce. Below is a picture of three mango seedlings I have, and I find it so interesting the different leaf growth habits. The top is the ivory seedling I got from a mango i bought at the 2011 Fairchild mango festival. I find this ivory seedling alot prettier than the other two unknown varieties I bought from the store.

By any chance is anyone growing the mango cultivar "ivory" and if so what does your grafted tree look like and would you be willing to spare a cutting sometime this summer so I can graft it? : )

-Joep450

Comments (6)

• tropicdude
    12 years ago

Mangoes from seedlings, do not necessarily translate into a bad mango, after all, all cultivars have come from seedlings at one time.

the problem, is you do not know what your going to get from a seedling, it could have traits that make it even better than the mother plant, or worse. its a gamble.

that one seedling with the slender leaves, what did that come from?

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Here's a previous thread on Ivory.....and Tog Bi Con....perhaps another name for Ivory.

Harry

Here is a link that might be useful: Ivory mango

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    12 years ago

realistically seedlings of mango and even citrus have 3 potentials. they could be the same as the mother, better, or worse. To me having a 66% chance that the fruit could be decent or even great is not bad if you want to invest the time it takes to wait for it to fruit. I have a grocery store mango that about 2 years old now. I just grow it for fun and eventually I will get a named variety. They make such a pretty tree that even if the fruit is terrible its still nice to look at. Not to many people I come across grow mangoes in Oklahoma so it makes for a nice conversation regardless.

mike

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Mike....your theory would be true if the odds of getting better/same/worse were all the same. Remember, the commercial and other selected cultivars are selected from thousands of seedling plantings across the globe. The odds of getting a better, or even an "as good" mango from a seedling is not 2/3. It might be more like 1/1000. Remember, you have to think like a mango. In the scheme of genetic combinations and permutations mangoes change over generations to a way to adjust to potential changes in environment to allow for the survival of the species. Where does delicious flavor and fiberlessness rank as compared to cold tolerance, salt tolerance, drought tolerance....et, etc, etc. That is the question. Of course, a wise man once answered this question with an interesting reponse. He said.....well, if the mango is delicious and fiberless, men that would eat it might be more inclined to plant the seed and thus perpetuate the species. That was an interesting thought but is somewhat wishful thinking in my view. That having been said, has that prevented me from growing and fruiting seedlings? No.....but I am a foolish fruit tree grower not all that much thinking realistically. You are more than welcome on my unrealistic band wagon. There's lots of room. Happy growing and best of luck with your seedling fruit results.

Harry

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    12 years ago

Harry. You make very good points and to be honest I have yet to have a seedling from either a mango or citrus fruit yet so Im sure I over stepped my advice abilities. I guess im just on the wishful thinking wagon, LOL.

take care
    Mike

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

You can buy a small grafted mango from a hardware store like a haden, keitt, or a valencia pride and top work it to graft the seedling(wait until the seedling is bigger and cut the top section off)onto mature wood. That way you can find the results of your seedling much sooner. :-)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor