Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
simon_grow

Where to purchase Seedless Guava Tree that ships to CA?

simon_grow
12 years ago

Hello everyone, last month, my uncle brough me two green skinned white fleshed seedless guavas and they were the best guava's I've ever eaten. Not only were they seedless but the flavor was amazing. The fruit was very sweet with a good amount of acidity. I did a side by side comparison of the seedless guava compared to a normal seeded guava and there was no comparison. The seeded guava annoyed the heck out of me and was not nearly as sweet or flavorful.

My uncle is going to bring me a cutting of his guava tree but I am also looking to purchase larger, rooted trees. Ong's Nursery is sold out and Sri Siam Tropicals is out of business. Does anyone know where I might be able to pick up a tree or order online(that ships to California)? Thanks in advance!

Simon

Comments (28)

• behlgarden
    12 years ago

Simon, did you try Exotica in Vista? if they don't have they will get it for you. I have also seen folks advertising on craigslist selling out of Temecula. check that out as well. Once you find one, please fill me in as well.

BTW, I would love to get cuttings of this seedless variety as well so I can graft them onto my seeded ones.

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

Mimosa in LA.

-Ethan

• dnt72800
    12 years ago

Simon
    Mimosa LA has Giant "Seedless" Guavas. The owner told me that they are not true seedless but can be depending on season. Something like that......
    Try papaya nursery if you want true seedless. I'm not sure if either will ship to SD.
    My GF's dad seedless guava is among the best i ever tasted. HUGE FRUIT with cavity of a FEW seeds or none.
    I gave up on grafting guava. I heard they are difficult to graft....but then again i suck at grafting.
    cheers
    David

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Here is a Vietnamese seedless guava and IMO they are not very good. I've tried them crunchy and ripe and I prefer the Mexican Cream which has a hint of banana and coconut with few seeds.

JF

I speted on this one so you can see they are seedless.

• nullzero
    12 years ago

I am looking at adding a guava to the collection, but have been undecided on which guava variety to choose. Seedless with a good flavor are at the top of the list.

• dnt72800
    12 years ago

Hi Jeff/all
    We might be talking about a different kind of guava?(Not sure what Simon has in mind).

Giant Seedless
    [IMG]http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd213/dnt72800/DSCN2267.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd213/dnt72800/DSCN2264.jpg[/IMG]

Vietnamese Giant
    [IMG]http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd213/dnt72800/DSCN2257.jpg[/IMG]

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Yeah your right David,

The pics I posted are from my ex-neighbor Mr.Sa-Kuen ( moved last year) and he is from Vietman and he told me they were vietnamese seedless guavas, and they are seedless.

JOE

• phucvu
    12 years ago

hmm, i don't know any vietnamese with that name.

• dnt72800
    12 years ago

Sorry Joe......for my stupid mistake. Jeff from FL and JF confused me.
    let's try again.
    Seedless Giant
    {{gwi:1305509}}
    {{gwi:1305510}}
    Vietnamese Giant
    {{gwi:1305511}}

• longanluva
    12 years ago

Simon
    Sunshine nursery in Rosemead has a lot. I got mines for 75 bucks.
    Max

• simon_grow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I did give Exotica a call but nobody picked up so I will have to drop on by for a visit. My uncles Guava did not look like jfernandez's guava. His were larger, more elongated and the outside was slightly bumpy. Also, the inside of the fruit has a small dry cavity. One of the guavas he gave me actually had about 5 ants inside the cavity.

From the research I've done, I think "Siam Seedless" from Frankies (Doesn't ship to CA, needs to be grown on special table) and "Indonesian Seedless" from Papaya Tree Nursery may be good ones to get. I'm not sure if "Indonesian White Seedless" is the same as "Indonesian Seedless".

Of the seeded guavas, I think I may get a Red Malaysian, Hong Kong Pink, Turnbull White or Mexican Cream.

behlgarden, I can give you a cutting after I get a cutting from my uncle and it gets established. My uncle lives in Santa Anna and only comes down every once in a while and I have not recieved the cutting from him yet.

If anyone has tasted any of the varieties I listed above, it would be great to hear how they taste. My goal is to get one of each seedless variety plus one red/pink fleshed variety. I have not found any seedless red/pink fleshed varieties.
    Simon

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

N/Z, I have seeds of 2 guavas for you, just need to mail them.

-Ethan

• nullzero
    12 years ago

Ethan,

Thanks for the offer, you have my address? You can send me over an email through Gardenweb. You looking to add anything to the garden?

• longanluva
    12 years ago

Simon
    Sunshine nursery in Rosemead has a lot. I got mines for 75 bucks.
    Max

• jabomano
    12 years ago

Ethan

Any chance you might have a few seeds from those 2 seedless guavas left? I just ordered a seedless Siam from Frankie's (along with 2 lychees, a mango and a longan) and am looking for other varieties of seedless guavas. All the plants will be grown in Ft. Myers. I can't find your email address or I would have contacted you that way.

Thanks.

Ray

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

Sorry Ray for any confusion, the seeds for NZ are Tropic pink & Mexican cream, not seedless (something we'd arranged previously). At some point in the next couple of months I'll be headed down south and will most likely stop by Mimosa in LA, the have "seedless" guava plants, might have to grab one.

-Ethan

• annonalover
    11 years ago

Hello,

This is my seedless guava. I was told it was a rare "Madagascar seedless" variety. People who I sent the pics to thought it might be an "Indonesian seedless" I have seen the Indonesian and believe my fruit to be more yellow when ripe and extremely fragrant and delicious! I am not a huge guava fan, but these are amazing!

All the best!

Vince

• newtoucan
    11 years ago

Annonalover,
    How can I get a cutting of your guava? I 've never seen a bumpy one like that. I love really good guavas. I have Mexican cream and that is good but also looking for other good varieties.

Simon, did you ever find the one you are looking for? If so please share where you got it from.

• thomasvo
    10 years ago

Hi, can anyone help. I've had my seedless grave tree for about 3 years now. It has a lot of flower but will not bear fruit. They told not to water it that much. I did that and still not getting any guava. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thnaks i'm from Anaheim, CA

This post was edited by thomasvo on Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 16:13

• newgen
    10 years ago

Thomas,
    What city/state are you in? That would help people to help you.

• thomasvo
    10 years ago

Hi Newgen, I live in Anaheim, California.

• thomasvo
    10 years ago

Hi Newgen, I live in Anaheim, California

• cyh527
    9 years ago

@ annonalover, where did you buy your guava?

• Susmita Guptapal
    9 years ago

Same problem I have. I got a strawberry guava planted almost 5 years ago, so far got 1 fruit, extremely sweet and flavorful. Can anyone have any idea that how can I get more fruits. I live in San Luis Obispo, CA 93401

• mianarshadiqbal10
    8 years ago

I want to purchase seedless guava,and also strawberry guava any one help me

• osmundoreal
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi there, Simon! I use to buy some seeds and plants in an online shop (Canarius). They've got Guava trees. I'm not sure if what specially you need. Take a look just in case: www.canarius.com ;)

Hope you find it!!

Sponsored