Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Length of harvest vs hardiness for avocado

Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 15, 14 at 16:58

I am posting this for a friend in Zone 9B, with plenty of space for trees. She is still collecting info about historical temperatures at her site, but she feels that in her 15 years there temps never dropped below 25F.

That is plenty warm for Mexicola and other types of Persea americana, but all these crop in Aug.-Sept., leaving ten months without avocados. Hass has six months harvests, but is a Persea Indica. Anyone has any idea how to plant an avocado grove in Zone 9B that offers six months crops?

and secondarily, how to sneak in at least one type B? They eat mostly food they produce (they have 40+ olive trees, fruits, a big garden, and chickens and rabbits), and eat no grains, so for them this is a lot of help. Thanks for any input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Length of harvest vs hardiness for avocado

Hey Glib, since no one has tackled this, I'll offer my input. Below is a link of avocado varieties and their crop times. Carmen Hass fruits 3 times a year, though that's going to be harder to find and I don't know the temps. Looks like Sir Prize (B flower) and Stewart (A flower) could be a good addition. Sir Prize is particularly heavy bearing from what I've heard. 4 varieties should give output nearly year around. Hope that helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Avocado temps

o
RE: Length of harvest vs hardiness for avocado

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 22:01

Many thanks! this is what I needed. I googled many avocado sites, but this one bests them all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here