Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jalilu

Weak Young Keitt Mango Tree

jalilu
11 years ago

Hi,

I am new at growing mangos and I hope someone could answer these questions.

Is it normal that a young Keitt mango tree is bowing down and can't stand vertical without stakes? Should I prune right above the lower bunch of leaves or a bit higher, to make the trunk stronger and start shaping the tree at the same time? Can this be done now or by the end of winter? Thanks.

Comments (21)

• mangodog
    11 years ago

Hi Jalilu - The keitt mango is a very spindly tree from my experience. I used to tie up all the spindly branches like you did, and then when I stopped doing that and let them just fall as they may I got more vertical growth believe it or not!

It's true though, they kind of grow like a weeping willow, so don't dispair, it is acting the way it's genetics dictate....

One of the most delicious mangoes, too, in my book....

MangoDawg

• jalilu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you MangoDawg! My only concern if I untie the trunk is that d%/@ easterly wind, which gusts can easily exceed 60 mph and damage the plant. What if I prune it somewhere between the lower bunch of leaves and the tag, to make it stronger?

Jalilu

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    11 years ago

I would would keep it tied to at least under the first leaf--to protect the graft from snapping or being damaged.

Mangos do best once you get them in the ground. The tricky part Jalilu is,if they haven't knitted a good rootball...it could ALL fall off the roots and do a major shock on the tree if not kill it getting it out of the pot.
    You have to decide what you think is the best time.

• jalilu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello Stan

I will surely plant it in the ground by the end of the dormancy period. I still have four more varieties (Glenn, Ataulfo, NDM and Irwin) but not enough space to plant them all but two in the ground. My choice would be: Keitt and Ataulfo in the ground, and Glenn, Irwin and NDM in 17 gal. pots. Is this a good idea or should I consider another combination?

What about pruning for tree shaping and trunk strengthening? I found a document detailing mango pruning, but I am just not sure about where to cut this tree. I tried to attach the URL but it was rejected by the forum. If you search for "Mango Pruning in the Top End" you will find this pdf document.

• myamberdog
    11 years ago

I agree with Stan-keep them tied up....and I don't know much about pruning as the trees really don't grow terribly fast out in So. Cal, but certainly tip pruning will give your trees more of a bush feel and effect.

And I would also say 17 gal is OK, but 25 gallon (when they get big enough) would be better. I assume u want more fruit production over the long haul.....

mangodog

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Very good point about Mango trees not growing as quickly in CA as it does say here in FL. I had a Keitt almost die on me during one of our hard freezes here (winter of 2010/201) and I had to "pug" (hard prune) it severely. Here's some pictures...

Here's a picture from Sept. 2012...very first time it fruited for me. Wow...they were really delicious!!

Here's my potted glenn that I've had to keep the size in check...its in a 40 gallon? pot...

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Here's a better (larger picture) of my Keitt with some fruits on it.

• jalilu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will follow your advice and will plant the "tree" in the ground, then wait for a flush before tips pruning.

Puglvr your tree made me realize how skinny mine is looking :-( What is the size of your Glenn's pot? It looks smaller than mine. Did it ever fruit? Why do you keep your Keitt fruits in bags, to protect them from bugs? Thanks

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

My Glenn is appx. 6 ft from the ground to the top branches. Yes, my Glenn has fruited 3 or 4 times since I've had it...any where from 6-12 fruits I think depending on weather and pollination...

The picture below was one of the best year it produced.

I bag my fruits to "try" and ward off varmints (squirrels and racoons and possums, etc) but its not fool proof, I still lose several of them every season :o(

• jalilu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great picture and nice fruits! I believe I also saw the same tree in the Container Gardening section of this forum. My question was not about the tree size, but the pot size. How is your Glenns' fruits taste?

PS: Should I call you Puglvr or Nancy, as other members do in the Container Gardening section?

Jalilu

• mangodog
    11 years ago

...either Pugcy or Nanglvr....

:)

(mangopooch wants to PLAY!)

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Lol Mangodog!! Too funny!!!

Thanks Jalilu...you can call me either Nancy or Puglvr, either one is fine with me :o)

I LOVE my Glenn mango...they are very sweet, fiberless and delicious!! That picture was from a couple of years ago...that pot was 20" wide. I've since repotted it to a larger pot that is 24" wide and appx. 16" tall..

Here's a picture from a couple of weeks ago...

• jalilu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Beautiful! I hope that someday mine will also look like that .

Jalilu

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Thanks! I was out checking the tree today and noticed a LOT of the blooms have been drying up and hardly any mangoes are on the blooms :o(...even though the tree was loaded with flowers I think the very HOT weather we've had the last 3 weeks have had a bad affect on the blooms. Doesn't look like it will be a good year for mangoes on that tree sadly to say...

• jalilu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nancy

Would you like to trade your excess heat with our cool weather? :-)

No flush on my mango trees since October, although they have sprouted several weeks ago :-( Surprisingly, the Surinam Cherry is blooming again while still bearing fruits. These are very sweet but they don't get that cherry-dark color as in summer.

There are also partially open flower buds on the peach tree and I found this morning a flower on one of the Passiflora Decaisneana vine, which is unusual for this time of the year.

Jalilu

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Nancy
    Would you like to trade your excess heat with our cool weather? :-)

No thank you Jalilu,lol... Appreciate the offer though, Ha!

Congrats on your Surinam Cherry, Peach and Passiflora Decaisnean vine (this is one I'm not familiar with). Hope you get some fruits from these at least.

• jalilu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The Passiflora Decaisneana vines have not fruited yet. I have just found out that it needs P. Caerulea to set fruits. I'll try to get a few plants of this latter to pollinate them.

If you are interested in the difference between P. alata, P. decaisneana, P. phoenicea and P. quadrangularis check the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora Alata Key

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Thanks for the link! Wow...the flowers sure are beautiful!!

• myamberdog
    11 years ago

nancy - bummer on your lack of fruits on the Glenn. I'm going to let mine bear a couple this year.....well...I think I will....I just know how the growth
    is limited, very limited with some varieties of mango if you let them fruit young and others don't seem bothered and flush growth as the fruits mature (like my Maha Chinok does)....Valencia Pride and Alphonso too.......

fang a ling lang

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Thanks for the condolenses myamberdog...I'm not completely giving up quite yet,lol...it might hold a "few". At least I'm hoping it will. Its just SO sad to see the tree fully loaded with blooms and see so little fruit set :o(

Winter isn't over for me yet...Time will tell...

• jalilu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This Keitt hasn't grown since I put it in the ground at the end of the dormancy period. It looks exactly the same, unlike the other ones (Ataulfo in the ground and Glenn, NDM and Irwin in containers) which flushed once and have new leaves about to sprout.

Is it normal for Keitt mango trees to be so slow growing?

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?