Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me choose full size potted mango tree....

Posted by Tyga Denver (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 18:39

Hi all im a few years in and cant get enough trees. I have a pickering and a carrie, both potted. I was reading another thread where someone recomended buying a full size mango tree in addition to "condo" trees. Which sounded like a great idea since I was recomended to not harvest my dwarf trees for 2 years. :-(

So please help me pick a new full size mango tree which will be potted and kept indoors till summer time greenhouse/sunroom in winter, I also plan on keeping this tree a bit bigger at 8-10' tall.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me choose full size potted mango tree....

Maybe a Maha Chinook, Lemon Zest or Sweet Tart?????

o

• Posted by Tyga none (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 24, 14 at 0:35

By chance do you have any potted experience with any of these?

o

I have the MC and LZ; however, both were 7 gal. purchased this Summer and are not very large. I did buy both with the intention of leaving in pot for at least a few years (and perhaps permanently).

o

Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 16:35

Sounds good. Did you get any fruit last year? I plan on getting a 7 gal too this summer. Im just not sure which one. To be compleetly honest I will probably end up just getting 2 more for a total of 4 POTTED mango trees! I'll order from pune island nursery so far im definitely getting a glenn and looking at another that I think ill realy like. Im concidering the golden nugget. Any input of either of these?

o

No fruit from either tree. I want them to get larger before I do and the LZ has been a very slow grower. Good luck with the
additional 2.

o

Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 11:18

Thanks. Good luck to you as well.

o

Tyga - my humble opinion is that the Gold Nugget is not a top tier mango! I have one though (but in the ground) I've never tasted it's fruit, but from what I've read there are better choices.

I think just about any tree can remain in a pot with proper pruning - both root and canopy.. Maha Chinok, Glenn, Lemon Zest are all good....Pina Colada, Coconut Cream maybe....I love Kent and Keitt as well....so many good varieties out there.... not sure you can really go wrong with whatever you pick, including Gold Nugget.....

Good Luck....MDog

o

Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 20:05

Thanks for the info Mdog.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here