Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
red_sea_me

mallika mango

red_sea_me
17 years ago

Is there any place in California selling these mango trees? Pine Island has them in FL but $55.00 for phyto cert is = 2plants I could be buying! I can get bananas from Fl and trees from Puerto Rico w/out the cert but not a mango. Any help?

Comments (29)

• ohiojay
    17 years ago

Try giving Ong's Nursery a call. I know they carry grafted plants. They may have this variety. He's in San Diego. I've ordered from him before. Nice guy.

• Eggo
    17 years ago

This variety sounds interesting. Maybe we could find a source for some budwood somewhere.

• plummy
    17 years ago

PIN sells grafted trees, also if the Fruit and Spice Park would be willing to sell bud wood you could get it from them. I have been interested in this variety, but have heard people disscribe the flavor as carrot like.

• Eggo
    17 years ago

hehe, Carrot like?

• dghays
    17 years ago

I've tasted a couple, they were excellent. What's up doc? I wish carrots tasted like them. I have a small tree, got a ways to go til fruit. Indian mango, offspring of Neelum and something like Dashehari or something.

Gary

• cla4ence
    13 years ago

Gentlemen,
    I am very new, and I have a potted Mallika plant which I bought in March based on the excellent ratings of Fairchild & Pine Island Nursery,however, on obtaining the fruit earlier this month, I was dissapointed taste-wise.The blame is mine.I confused "flavor" with "sweetness". Now that I am wiser, I am asking you to suggest a condo/dwarf tree that produces a sweet fruit. Think "sweet".Gentlemen,"sweet".Something you have actually tasted.I like Sunworshiper's July 13, Carrie comment,but I need more opinions. After I have received a number of opinions.The majority choice will prevail, and I will post the results, and transmit pictures of my Mallika & the winning choice.Gentlemen! Start your engines!Horace

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

I have a good sized tree. I thought the fruit was horrible. I definitely know what people are talking about with the carrot like descriptions. I actually threw most of mine away last season. I could send you some budwood if you want it Ethan. I am going to topwork mine over to a maha chanook at some point if I can ever get a graft to take.

• boson
    13 years ago

I just picked a few Mallika yesterday from my tree. I will eat them tonight. I really hope they are not carroty.

Tomas

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

carrot? no.

maybe because it has a creamy consistency, like a boiled carrot

papaya, honey, cantaloupe flavor i would say is more on par

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

After tasting all the varieties I bought on my mango festival trip, I would have to say that the two sweetest varieties that I tasted were Carrie & Mallika. Of the two, I liked the Carrie a lot better than the Mallika. The Mallika was sweet and I tasted melon & honey. There was also a vegetable like component to the flavor that was not disagreeable to me but which I could see described as carrot like. Mostly I think I didn't care for the Mallika as much because I don't like cantaloupe, and it does have a lot of similar flavor. The Carrie on the other hand was very, very sweet with a completely fruity flavor. It was my husband's top pick overall. I would personally choose a variety with more tang in the flavor, but if you want just sweetness - go with the Carrie.

• budershank
    13 years ago

I had my first Mallika recently. I have read about how awesome they are, but honestly i I didn't enjoy it that much. Very cantaloupe/melon flavor. Might possibly be my least liked popular variety. Obviously this is opinion, but from the other posts you should be able to gather that this is a highly contested variety.

If you have not had one yet, I highly suggest tasting this fruit before you spend money, and more importantly, time into growing one.

• tropicalgrower89
    13 years ago

I've tasted a carrie myself and it tastes awesome. I kept the seed and it is already growing a root. Should take 3 to 4 years to grow mangoes so I'm not that worried about grafting it. I'm growing a haden seedling which I will use for a grafting experiment.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

TropicalGrower89:

If you are getting fruit in 3-4 years from a mango seed you should probably report your results to the Guinness Book of World records. I haven't been able to get one to fruit from seed in less than 7 years and most take even longer. What is your secret? Also, I am sorry to tell you that whatever grows out of the seed you are planting will not bear Carrie fruit. The seedling you are growing will be a new individual, genetically distinct, and different to the parent tree's fruit. It is possibly going to be superior to the Carrie fruit you ate, but it is much more likely to be inferior. I have a seedling of Carrie that has become the named culitvar now called Dot. I feel this is superior to Carrie. I also have one that I grew from seed myself and it produces fruit that is very similar to Carrie in flavor and color, but the fruits are 2-3 times the size of Carrie. One problem, the tree has never borne more than 2 fruit in a season and had none this year. Best of luck to you in any case. I hope your tree defies the odds and is prolifically wonderful for you.

Harry

• boson
    13 years ago

Hi,

Well, I really didn't like the taste of my Mallika that much that I had tonight. Now I want to buy another kind of Mango, something with a hint of citrus perhaps. If I remember correctly, the Valencia Pride I ate a few years ago tasted like that and may fit the bill.

Tomas

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Tomas:

Yes, if citrus is what you want, Valencia Pride will definitely fill that need. Also, you may want to consider Po Pu Kalay if you want a more lemony taste.

Harry

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

Valencia Pride is good but to me tastes very Haden like, if you want something more citrusey try an Asian mango or a cross like Edward.

• boson
    13 years ago

Thanks Mango_kush and Harry! I have never tasted Po Pu Kalay or Edward. Both sounds good to me. I bet I can never find them at a local supermarket to get a bite. Are Po Pu Kalay and Edward both large trees? Can they be kept at 8ft or so?

Tomas

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

While Edward is an excellent mango, I have never heard its flavor described as citrussy. Virtually all mangoes can be kept under control with vigorous pruning. Edward tends to grow larger than Po Pu Kalay, but I think it could be kept at 10 feet pretty easily. Unfortunately, I am out of both Edward and PPK mangoes or I'd offer to let you try them at my house. I do have some of Valencia Pride if you'd like to come by to try it.

Harry

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

I saw a link on Pine Islands website for a video blog. They show several diffrent mangoes and I know Edward was one of them and there tree was pretty big. I remember saying that I wanted one but was told that they were not good candidates for pot culture. I don't know anything about Po Pu Kalay.
    Andrew

• budershank
    13 years ago

To me, Edwards taste more coconut/pina colada taste. It's actually my favorite mango tasted to date.

Cogshall and Bombay have a distinct citrus flavor in my opinion. I know many other types do as well but those are the only 2 I have tried to date that left a memorable impression. Unfortunately unless you can special order it online I don't think you will find either. Bombay's coming to the end of their season and dropping fruit like crazy here in central FL so if you want to try it, i'd search now.

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

Edward is awesome! It was hands down my favorite that I tasted. I didn't taste citrus, but it did have a very nice sweet/tart balance that I loved. I had thought that the tree would be too large for me to attempt, so I am very interested in Harry's comment that one could be kept at 10'. That's a reasonable range for me. That will give me something fun to think about today for sure=)

• marinfla
    13 years ago

I have tasted most of them. The Carrie is very sweet and creamy with no fiber. The lemon meringue mango is also sweet and has a citrus-like smell but has a flavor I would characterize as more like orange sorbet or a creamsickle not lemony, and it also is creamy with no fiber. The valencia pride tree is ridiculously large grower unless you keep it seriously pruned, the fruit are later in the season which may be a bonus to you, the fruit are large 'appearing' (it is flatter with a big pit so there is not a lot of flesh compared to it's parent-haden) but the flavor I find less appealing than some of the others. It is just an average mango. I think the cogshall or pickering is a better tasting mango if you are looking for something small to grow in a container or in a small yard.

• boson
    13 years ago

You guys are really helpful with all good information. Too bad your don't all agree - that would make it easier for me to choose :-)

Thanks,

Tomas

• mango_nut
    13 years ago

I have to say Mallika mangos are real good in my opinion. They definitely should be picked green once their shoulders have filled out. After that, the hardest part is having the patience not cut them too soon. The fragrance is so tantalizing that I have to pick one for a quick smell everything I walk by them in the kitchen. I probably could have waited yet another day or two on this one (middle one). These were picked about 8 or 9 days prior. Enjoy the photos. BTW - thanks for all those folks are continually posting to this awesome forum.

• ragunath
    13 years ago

I love your pics mango nut! How old is your tree?

• mango_nut
    13 years ago

This is the second season its given us fruit. I bought it as a 7 gal tree 3 years ago. The tree is now around 6-7' tall. Last year we got around 2 doz mangos from it. This years number were about the same. The freeze certainly affected it, but a whole lot less than my other mangos.

• dannyduprey_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

One of the sweetest, tastiest mangos (to me) is the Dot. Some may find it a bit too sweet/rich, but I love it. I find it more susceptible to anthracnose than some other varieties. If you're close to the ocean, or have a good spray program, that might not be a concern for you.
    What do you think of Kent? To me it is every bit as sweet as a mango needs to be.

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

Very interesting, I am in search for a Dot. I love rich and sweet mangos. In Socal we don't have to worry about anthracnose because of our arid climate.

JF

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting