Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sapote_gw

Brown tusks white elephant mango

sapote
10 years ago

I went to pick up two FEDEX tall boxes shipping from Top Trop yester, riding the white elephant!!! (I had rubber springy cord tighten the hood's latch down though).
Last year my Carrie and Nam Doc Mai died from energy sapping flower/fruit and too much sun. They were 3 gal and in pots.
This time I got these. I�m interested of Alapur Baneshan � sounds like it has interesting taste. Any idea anyone?

Cac Hoa Loc
Alampur Baneshan Mango
Nam Doc Mai
Edward
Mun Kun Si
Mangifera indica - Okrung Tong

Comments (27)

• sf_rhino
    10 years ago

I'm going to guess 1967 or 1968.

• sapote
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very good guess, Rhino. My elephant was born in '66 for the '67 model year, and 1st owner bought on Dec 24th 1966 -- a Christmas present. All original including the 47 years old elephant ivory paint !!! I drive it daily 40 miles.

• sapote
    Original Author
    10 years ago

update photo after 6 weeks.

Vietnamese Cat-Hoa-Loc is budding -- flower or leaves? I want leaves now.

• sapote
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Edward

• sapote
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maha bought last spring from TOP was inpot until recently. Bees were on flowers early morning. We have a big wild beehive in the attic since 4 year ago; free pollinating bees for the whole town

• sapote
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Manila first time flower. It has multiple branches after I nipped off the tiny growing buds -- I just didn't have the heart to chop off a whole branch -- and it sent out 3 or 4 branches at the same node. There is one main branch from the main trunk with its leaves always look as they are wilting regardless of soil moisture condition, and it sent out flower this year too in next photo

• sapote
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mysterious "wilting" manila branch

• sapote
    Original Author
    10 years ago

NDM buds: flower or grow? It's only 24" tall

• sapote
    Original Author
    10 years ago

NDM 24" tall

• sapote
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mango pots next to an old Pomegranate -- could be around 80 yrs old

• sapote
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The colorful Orange in the background is the Moro blood orange -- I grafted the orange pencil size branches onto the 16" dia lemon stump 4" high from ground

• sapote
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maha in ground with white paper sun screen

• myamberdog
    10 years ago

Sapote = great looking trees! Are you going to let any mangoes hold fruit?

M>A>D

• myamberdog
    10 years ago

Sapote - great looking trees - are you going to let any of the mangoes hold fruit?

M.A.D.

• sapote
    Original Author
    10 years ago

M.A.D.

I won't let any trees in pot have fruit, but for the Maha, Alphonso, Manila, Lancetilla in the ground I might let each to have one or two, or none depending on the tree condition.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    10 years ago

You touched on two things I learned that aren't much mentioned..Fruiting can really weaken and kill a tree. And that the trunks like shade from hot summer sun.
    If the fruiting doesn't kill a potted plant,it sets it up for any winter frost to do it in.
    So,with one now in ground and fruiting I'm keeping a close eye on the effects on a young plant in soil. It has four main stems,two are flowering.
    Your new tree's look perfect. The NDM has a real strong flush coming on.
    Its just a wonder that such a huge tropical fruit tree can produce when so small. And quality too.
    Congrats on your pick ups. Nice car too!

• sapote
    Original Author
    10 years ago

update of my super (easy temperament; no disease; high yield) Maha fruits, and all six mangoes 3gal bought from TOP now with big flow stem.

Maha: I picked off all but saved 6 fruits.

• sapote
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maha fruit

• sapote
    Original Author
    10 years ago

small NDM with many flower. It might kill itself trying to labor a big fruit :) I won't let it has this.

• sapote
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Edward flower

• sapote
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Vietnamese Cat Hoa Loc with distinct dark flower; I have not seen my others with this color

• sapote
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I mean to post this close up flower of cac hoa loc

• sapote
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I read that Manila is a disease resistance type, but here is anthracnose on its flower. I will leave one stem alone to see if the fungus will kill this stem.

• sapote
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Healthy Manila fruits on same tree. I do treat the infected stem with copper spray (in fact I "painted" it instead of spray which wasted too much the chemical)

• sapote
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And finally the dragonfly eating an insect, or hatching from the insect. I saw it on the water lily pad

• sapote
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update on my Maha: I picked off and left only one fruit 3 or 4 weeks ago, and here it is about 4.5" long and 2" width. The side not sun facing has a little faint red flush.

• sapote
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The other side of same fruit: I hope I will be able to taste this Maha this year :)