Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackfruitwhisperer69

Update: Subtropical Fruit Orchard & Harvest In Madeira Island!

Hi, Here's an Update of my Orchard and Harvest!

Cherimoya fruit

Here's the Generous Cherimoya tree

Papaya loaded with Fruit

Tomorrow I will Post more Pictures!!!

Comments (20)

• rodneys
    12 years ago

Your cherimoya tree is enormous! The trunk looks like an oak tree.

What papaya variety are you growing?

• lycheeluva
    12 years ago

jealous does not even begin to describe my feelings. enjoyyyyyyy.

• samuelforest
    12 years ago

Amazing trees, you could feed all Africa with all these yummy cherimoyas :)

Samuel Forest

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Jack

Those chirimoyas look like a pineapple! I hope my trees never get half the size of yours although in the Fullerton Arboretum they have them with trunks the same size as yours.

JF

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

Wow, what a monster of a tree and so covered in fruit, amazing! I'm guessing you dont hand pollinate?

-Ethan

• Jackfruitwhisperer69
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The Cherimoya tree is over 30 years old, the Papaya is from tissue culture, the rest are from seed I grown from super market fruit from brazil, I don't know what's the name of it! It's flesh is yellow orange and mildly sweet!

This year my Cherimoya got's a very good load but there were ton's of small and deformed fruit which I didn't have time to thin.

The tree is naturally pollinated and has 5 Cherimoya tree for cross pollination.

• Jackfruitwhisperer69
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My white sapote is getting big! I multi-root grafted it!

Swiss cheese plant-Monstera deliciosa

Guava tree

Tommy Atkins Mango tree with flower buds!

Dorment wine grape vines

Pineapple maybe this year i will force it to flower!

Avocadoes

Cherimoya from a distance.

Longan seedling

Dorment fig trees

Kei apple is almost two year old and it's alredy got huge thorns. Ouch :)
    {{gwi:402419}}

Sugar cane.

• Jackfruitwhisperer69
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Maracuja trellis

Giant yellow passionfruit-Passiflora edulis var.flavicarpa unripe.

I also got a purple giant maracuja is Passiflora edulis x Passiflora edulis var.flavicarpa

Here's my harvest! Cherimoyas,Passionfruit,Guavas,the red cattle guava's were very fragrant, I dice the fruit then add sugar, let it sit for couple of hour for the syrup to develop, Then after that I wip some cream! YUMMY!!!:) and some citrus that a neighbour gave me lemons,oranges and mandarins!

Here's the small fruit i was talking about!

• lycheeluva
    12 years ago

wow JFW, insane pics. this is like a playboy spread of fruit pic. thanks so much for posting. it takes just a little of the miserable NY winter chill away.
    in the US, tommy atkins mangoes have a very bad rap and the TA mangoes they sell in the sotres are hideous. are they better when tree ripened?

• berto
    12 years ago

Fantastic photos!
    Great job! Parabens!
    Forte abraco! Nos vemos na net!
    Berto

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

holy cow, Steven!!! What a beautiful harvest :)
    What cultivar is your cherimoya? I've seen older and bigger trunks but no where near the height of your tree, must love the growing condition there.

playboy spread of cherimoyas- lmao .... good one!!!

Can't wait to see the spread on mangos :p

Tim

• behlgarden
    12 years ago

Very impressive.

• dylanduck14
    12 years ago

I can feel my mouth watering :p That looks so good. Awesome trees!

• phucvu
    12 years ago

where's the jackfruit? what kind of whisperer are you?

• newgen
    12 years ago

Amazing harvest, what's the temperature in your area this time of year? Thanks for posting the photos.

• Jackfruitwhisperer69
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@ Berto- Tudo bem Amigo, Fequei feliz que o senhor gosto dos foto's
    Forte abraco:)
    Steven

@Lycheeluva-LOL, I'm glad you enjoyed the pic's!!!. Well, the tommy atkins that me and you eat are picked green but mature. My Tommy flowered last year, but I did'nt let it produce mangoes, I want it to get stronger braches so that the tree can hold some fruit!!!

@Esco socal-The tree you see in the pictures, was grown from seed my Grandmother planted about 30 years ago!, I named it Rosa after my Grandmother! This month i'm getting 5 grafted mango trees, Glenn,Tolbet,Rosa(Brazilian var.),Osteen,Henderson and keitt mango from a Governmental Nursery!

@Newgen-My house in Santo Antonio, the climate get's around 10-12c in the winter, At my Grandmother's house in Calheta,'that's were my more tropical plants are', The climate does'nt drop below 13-14c in winter!!!, My Biggest enemy here is the strong wind in winter!:(

• pikorazi
    12 years ago

Great pictures.. but the chirimoya is AMAZING! I think your climate is a little cooler an more humid in Madeira then in my island, which is better for chirimoya. Did you hand pollinate this tree? Do you have to irrigate?

I would never add sugar to those great fruit, that's like adding coke to a good rum... :-D

• Jackfruitwhisperer69
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ola Pikarozi-I'm glad you enjoyed the pics:), Yes, the climate here is cooler and more humid, but in your climate you can grow more Tropical fruit than me, No, that tree is too big for hand pollination, it's naturally pollinated with the help of the other 5 cherimoya trees nearby! I also prefer to eat the red cattle guava out of the hand,they are very sweet,YUMMY, but when I got alot of them, I do that recipe:)

• pikorazi
    12 years ago

Yes, maybe it's easier for us to grow tropicals, but we have to irrigate a lot, and water is expensive over here.. :-/

But I think some subtropicals should do better in your place: lucuma, chirimoya, litchi, white sapote.. do you have green sapote (p. viridis)? I think this pouteria should do fine in your location :-)

Here you can see some stuff we are growing in CI:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/100361925414382384869/albums/5676401382019255409

• Jackfruitwhisperer69
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi, Pikorazi- Well, the water here is quite cheap, I not sure how much it will be this year! But my uncle usually pays around 20euros or more per year! I think this year it's going to be more expensive! because this year it's not raining much. We get our water through the irrigation channels called Levadas. once a week for 1hour and a half.
    I had a Kwai mai pink lychee, it was so rootbound that it did'nt survive! Why don't you watch videos of Bill Mollison, Geoff Lawton... you will learn how to make your own micro-climate! You should mulch your tree's heavily, so that you can keep the humidity high and drip irrigation is also very good!!! I coud'nt access your link! where did you get the Green sapote?

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012