Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jfernandez_gw

Can someone ID this mango

jfernandez
12 years ago

I found this mango tree around the hood. I though the fruits looked like an apples until I notice the leaves. The tree is about 15'-18'. The fruit weight around a pound and the same color as granny apple???

Comments (30)

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

I've never have seen a mango that looks like that. I'd be most interested in hearing a report on their eating quality.

Harry

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Harry

I will get right on it! I found it across the street from my friends house. I freaked out about the color also.

JF

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

Are they also Vietnamese?

Tim

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Tim

I suspect they might be Vietnamese, this is La Habra not Santa Ana. My friend Minh is from Santa Ana.

JF

• jsvand5
    12 years ago

Pretty strange looking. Were they close to ripe? I wonder if it may be a seedling?

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

lol I did notice you said this was around your neighborhood but forgot to ref I was relating your other thread. The mango looks vaguely familiar to me but I don't dare venture a guess just yet...

Tim

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jsvand5

I would imaging they are very close but I'll keep eye for the next two weeks. We are getting good weather down here so if they are at full size they will ripen soon.

Tim

go for it! what's your opinion? they might be thai or taiwanese varieties but that's just a guess.
    JF

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

Joe, this is the tree I'm comparing to.

This is one of the trees my in-laws have on their property in VN. Size & shape-wise, it closely resembles your neighbor's. Though there could be many others looking just like it. What I also remember was their mangoes did not blush with sun exposure just like the ones in your pictures.

Anyhow, the mangos in pictures are known as Xoai(mango) Coc(ambarella) in Vietnam though I can't confirm if it's an actual cultivar or general name given to small, super crunchy, semi-sweet, green eating mangoes.

Tim

This is my mother-in-law showcasing their mangoes(in VN) because my wife constantly craves them here in the states.

{{gwi:1306245}}
    {{gwi:1306246}}

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Tim

They are close. These are not my neighbor's tree. They are growing a mile from my house in a friend of mines neighborhood. I will monitor their progress in the next two weeks and try one. As you know, we are in the low 90's here in La Habra so they will be ripening real soon.

JF

• nullzero
    12 years ago

JF,

Interesting find, I like scanning the neighborhoods for fruiting plants show high production or certain qualities.

• sleep
    12 years ago

Kinda looks like Royal Special ..?

http://trec.ifas.ufl.edu/tfphotos/81699.html

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

oh wow, good going sleep :)

Tim

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Nice try, looks similar, but I don't think that is it. Difficult to tell for sure from the pictures.....discrepancy could be due to different stages of maturity. Hopefully, JF will keep us updated with pictures as these fruits mature and we can make some further comparison.

Harry

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Harry

I knocked on these peoples door to inquire about the mango tree but no one was home. The mangos are ripening up fast, as I predicted, with the heatwave we are having. They are getting light canary yellow.

JF

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

JF:

You need to camp out on the front lawn so you can nab the owners as they are coming or going. Please! You are on a misson! Do not fail us! Best of luck!

Harry

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Harry

LOLLOL!! No luck yet!I'm tempted to take a few mangos and leave a note on the door with my name and phone number.....what would you call that counsel, mango and run??

JF

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

oh man...please don't do that. I don't want to see you on a youtube "Mango thieves" movie :)

Tim

• mangodog
    12 years ago

jF - so incredible to hear of a mango bearing like that in JANUARY!!!!! Awesome...yeah, you've got a mission for sure!

(watch, this will be a mango full of fiber and turpentine!)

mangoCharlie

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    12 years ago

Wow, the weather down there has been incredible..those Mango's remind me of Mango's in June.
    UP here in norte cal..we have had mid 60's, a couple of 70's and sun..and THAT feels soucal in January to me.
    Well,chill mornings excepted!

• samuelforest
    12 years ago

People must think you were weird when you were taking pictures of their mango tree. I'm sure they recognize you and they don't want to open their door to you now, no offense :). Keep trying, don't give up I want you to keep us posted on this story or mission LOL.

Samuel Forest

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Sam

LOL no offense taken...I wonder what your neighbors think when they walk into you basement??LOL At lease you don't have bodies piled up in your cross basement LOL We are all insane in this forum!

JF

• samuelforest
    12 years ago

HaHa!

• nullzero
    12 years ago

JF,

Keep us updated, hopefully the neighbor lets you take some budwood (thats if the fruit is desirable).

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Null

pass by today and saw the gardener and ask him for a couple and he gave me three LOLMission halfway completed Harry!

next to a Hong Kong Pink Guava

• samuelforest
    12 years ago

Breaking news,

A serial killer was found nearby, more precisely in La Habra's. We found him next to one of his victims house taking pictures and spying them. His favorite victims are unknown mangoes! He likes to eat his victims ,but sometimes he prefer to rob or kidnap them, so be careful and call right away the police!LOL

Samuel Forest

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

what's your address I'll send you a mango and a leg lol

• samuelforest
    12 years ago

LOL

• mangodog
    12 years ago

JF - are they ripe and ready to eat? The suspense is
    killing us!

MangoDirtyDawg

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Good job! Your persistence is to be highly commended. I sure hope they are mature. The more I see these mangoes, the more sure I am that I have never seen them before. Awaiting further report anxiously.......

Harry

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Harry & MangoDog

They are not ripe yet. I'll show pics and give my report as soon as they're ready.

JF

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996