Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alphapenguin

Container Lychee dying)?

alphapenguin
14 years ago

Hey all, I live in Ohio, and have been trying to keep my plants alive in my basement with a grow light. I've had some trouble with some spider mites attacking my musa bananas, but I think I got them under control, but I am also having problems with my Lychee Tree. The leaves keep changing colors, and look like they are dying. The plant was doing great in the summer time, but when I brought it indoors, it has been going downhill since. IT has lost about 80% of its leaves.

Not sure what i am doing wrong, but I guess it could be a couple of things:

1.) Not enough humidity (or none rather).

2.) Over watered/underwatereD? possibly overwatered.

3.) TOo much light? Maybe the growlight is a little too much for it. I am using a 600W MH light right now.

4.) Root rot?

5.) Fungus?

6.) Some bug I dont seem to see?

Or maybe they just lose their leaves? (i dont think this is the case). Whatever is going on, It's sad to see it slowly go down this path:( O how I wish I had a green house in Ohio like our friend OhioJay>.Any insight would be welcome.

p.s. I bought my tree form PineIsland NUrsery, and have a mango tree as well, which I am also trying to keep alive. IT's leaves are slowly curling too (no idea why, but I suspect fungus).

Comments (11)

• lycheeluva
    14 years ago

sorry to hear about your lychee tree. when did you bring it indoors? Ive killed lychee trees by waiting too late to bring them in and by then, they have been in weather in the low 40s or high 30s which is tough on a young lychee tree. A greenhouse would not necessarily be an automatic cure- In fact Jay has lost at least 1 lychee tree in his greenhouse.

Is it possibly too hot in your basement? they certainly are not supposed to lose their leaves. what medium are your trees in? do they have good drainage?

I would email Pine Island- they may replace your tree- they have replaced lychee trees for me in the past.
    if u post pics, it can help us offer advice as to what is aling your tree. good luck and keep us posted.

• ohiojay
    14 years ago

Been there, done that, and have credits in the movie. Lack of humidity shouldn't be too big a deal right now. They need a break from that anyway. Shouldn't be too much light either. Check your container. If it feels heavy all the time, then it is plenty wet. If you can easily tip it, pick it up, or the top 3+ inches are dry, then it is lacking water. I've found that plants in containers can really develop a lot of very thick, tight roots making it very difficult for water to penetrate. When my lychee was dropping leaves by the hundreds, I am convinced that it was a lack of water causing this for the reasons stated above. Have you fertilized the tree recently? Sprayed anything on it? You mentioned battling mites. Either of these could be a factor. So double check the underside of the leaves for any difficult to see pests. Make sure the light isn't too close to the plant and cooking it. Check all of the above and if that doesn't work...lots of cussing, kicking the container, and shaking the shi^ out of the tree usually works for me...

• simon_grow
    14 years ago

Do you have any pictures? Make sure your light is not too close to the lychee canopy because their leaves are really thin and delicate. Like what ohiojay said, try sticking your fingers down into the soil about 3-5 inches and feel if its wet. Make sure you also don't overwater your lychee, you want to make sure the bottomest layer of the soil in your pot has had a chance to dry out before you water again.

• alphapenguin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

okay, here is a problem that I actually was able to determine. There are a lot of little insects hiding in the soil for one thing. Second thing I see a lot of GRUBS! what the heck!!! and another thing there are these weird growths underneath the leaves. I can peel them off, but they dont move, and I dont see anything that looks "alive". Not sure what they are but I tried to take a picture. I have not been able to find anything online yet that looks like it. i am thinking maybe it's the "scale" insects.

Please any suggestions, I am thinking I Need to throw my lychee out in the cold... along with the weird disease...
    Or maybe I can try to salvage that lychee. I really do hope the rest of my plants are not infested now.

• bluepalm
    14 years ago

The insects are scale. Spray with Volck oil or Neem oil. You may need more than 1 application. But since the tree is small, you could just as easily inspect every leaf on the tree and scrape the scale insects off by hand. Those don't look like grubs...they look like centipedes. As far as it dropping the leaves, I have no idea.

• alphapenguin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just bought some neem oil. Hopefully the plant will survive before it arrives. I also just purchased some beneficial nematodes. Supposedly the weather is going to warm up (relatively speaking) this week, so I plan on dumping this soil in an empty lot across the street, and repot it with some cleaner soil. I should probably do this with all my plants but oh well. I will also spray with the neem and the nematodes once I get them. This should definitely keep the bugs away. Good thing my plant wont be fruiting any time soon, otherwise i'd be fearful of all the chemicals. THis is so frustrating, but thanks for your replies!
    >.Darn bugs!

• ohiojay
    14 years ago

Removing the individual scale by mashing beneath a thumb is very satisfying...highly recommend it. Definitely still spray the entire plant...trunk as well. It is amazing how well different scale can blend in and hide in nooks and crannies. I'd determine first just how stressed the plant is before stressing it further by repotting.

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

I have had that same type of scale on a newly purchased Longan. I eventually gave up on the sprays and just stripped off every leaf. I was pretty impossible to get all of the scale off by hand. The less mature scale are yellow. You can see some of them in your pic.

• alphapenguin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jsvand5, did the sprays not work at all? And after stripping off the leaves, was your longan able to recover? I am waiting for my neem oil and my beneficial nematodes to arrive in the mail. I just spend 30 min trying to strip off all the scale. Most of the leaves/branches have already fallen off. I am left with ... about 10 or so not so healthy looking leaves. I am fearing the worst...

Alex

• alphapenguin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i just received a container of Beneficial Nematodes i bought online, prepped it and spread it all over my plants. We shall see if there is any change in a few weeks, but now my question is: Will the Neem oil kill the nematodes? When I get my neem oil I intend on spraying the plants as well.

• alphapenguin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

SO after a tireless battle and not knowing what to do, I have come to a few conclusions. First off, I determined that I had a scale problem, after some great members on this forum helped me determine that from some pictures. I also noted that I have a problem with Millipedes. Well I bought some beneficial nematodes, and applied them to my lychee plant (and to my mangoes and bananas etc). A few days later I got my order of neem oil. Well I got antsy and decided to use that too (probably killing my beneficial nematodes). I also started to pluck off any scale bugs I could catch on my lychee. I was about to give up on my lychee completely. Fast forward 1 month and now I have some new growth on my lychee plant! Yay. I just got to keep killing any bugs I see. I cant seem to get rid of the millipedes, but I really dont think they are harming anything at the moment. I will just repot once the weather gets a little warmer.

Now I have another problem, I didnt think I saw any insects on my mango, just what looked like anthracose. I've noticed my mango tree slowly have more and more leaf curl over this past month, but I figured I will keep spraying, and things should get a little better. Well yesterday I went down to take a gander at my mango (i hadnt had a chance to water it for about 4 days), and it looked like it was dead! All the leaves were really curled up, and previous stem areas that were really green looked kinda dried and dead. I sprayed some more neem and didnt know what to do. Well today I went down and decided to pull the dead leaves off, and noticed on some crap on my hands. they were scale bugs! I took a paper towel and wiped across some branches, and a bunch came off. Suffice it to say I was rather peeved. I didnt think I had a scale problem on my mango... and I was spraying neem all over it. WHo knew. Well I am about to give up on it, but I decided to prune it all the way down to about 2.5 ft tall as in one of Puglvr1's posts (http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropicalfruits/msg051814467007.html)
    I also wiped it down really well to get rid of any other scale I could, and sprayed neem all over it again. I am sure I will need to repot it. Well I suppose I will see how well it does. I plan on odering more from pineisland but one thing is for sure, I need to disinfect every freaking plant I have in my basement now. I cant handle more atrocities!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES