Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reb1136

Is this a Guava plant

reb1136
12 years ago

I bought this plant from Lowes back in the summer. The tag says it is a Pineapple Guava. But all the other Pineapple Guava's I have seen pictures of doesnt look like mine. Any ideal on what it is

Comments (11)

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Does not look like any guava I have ever seen. Looks much more like an annona.

Harry

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

REB1136, you live in Mobile?? that looks like a La Verne's lable.

JF

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

bama... that's definitely a guava, just the wrong label :(
    looks really dehydrated too :(

Tim

• reb1136
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I cant say if its dehydrated or not I'm 900 miles from home working in Chicago. I'm having to depend on others to take care of my plants. So any guess on what variety it is?

• julia42
    12 years ago

It's not a pineapple guava or feijoa. It looks an awful lot like my cherimoya, so I'm guessing an annona, too. I couldn't find a good picture showing it, but cherimoya limbs droop at the final leaf like that. Leaves are large and floppy. This is how it's supposed to look - not a sign of dehydration - be careful not to overwater. My cherimoya likes it a little on the dry side.

Pineapple guavas have much glossier, stiffer, more erect, and much much smaller leaves.

• reb1136
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Julia
    I have a small pineapple guava that I ordered off ebay and the leaves look nothing alike. So that is what made me question what kind of plant it was. I will see what I can find out about an annona. Is an annona any good to eat?

• berto
    12 years ago

This plant looks like a guava. I have a guava that looks like this one. Mine is a Brazilian variety that the late Bob Murray, and the late Vivian Murray, former owners of the Treehouse Nursery in Pine Island brought to Florida.

• Kevin Reilly
    12 years ago

That's a Lowe's tag (you can tell by the 1yr guarantee). The nursery that sold it to Lowe's would have put the correct label on it. Check the plastic pot it came in for a sticker. When the Lowe's staff put their own tag on they weren't paying attention. Not a Feijoa (pineapple guava)

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

Though I don't grow many annonas myself, I've never encountered any annona with reddish new growth, there could be varieties I never knew of?. The drooping tips on annona is true but not wilted branches like it is shown in the above picture. And here's a big difference on guava vs annona, look at their leafing habits. Guava leaves come in pairs, annonas are all singles.

Tim

• julia42
    12 years ago

Tim,

My cherimoya's new growth can be a tad reddish at times... But! I went and checked - you're right about the leaves. I hadn't noticed. My cherimoya's leaves are alternating singles. That plant does look like doubles from the photo. Sorry about that - my bad.

Not a feijoa, though. I guess I'm not as familiar with true guavas... I'd be curious as to what the nursery pot says too, if you still have it.

• reb1136
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I dont have the pot it came in, but if my memory is correct I dont remember it having any other tags or stickers.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner