Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Any success with Mangos up north?

meyermike_1micha
11 years ago

I have been hesitating to purchase any time of Mango that can grow in a pot because I am not sure if it will ever grow fruit edible to eat.

Has anyone ever had success with Mango trees in pots where one has to pull them inside for the winter?

Thank you

Comments (17)

• tropicdude
    11 years ago

I personally do not have experience, but have seen posts by many that have fruited trees, Canada, Iceland, Italy all over the US, you name it. if you can keep it warm enough in the winter and give it enough light your good to go.

just get a condo type variety like Pickering or similar.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

Mike

I without a doubt know that if it can be done successfully you of all people can do it.

Mike

• soaht
    11 years ago

Sure you can, 2 members that I know that have are Ohiojay and lycheeluva. I believe they're both in zone 5 or 6. Ohiojay utilize a greenhouse and grows more than just mangoes and lycheeluva in New York just puts in his spare room for the winter. Both of them can attest to growing bearing mangoes up north and what's is more amazing is a member who move to Iceland and brought with her, her plants and got her mango to bear fruit in a green house. So anyone can basically grow a mango and have it bear fruits, just need the right equipment.

• samuelforest
    11 years ago

I'm one of the guys that grow mangoes up north (Canada). It is really possible, but you'll need some supplement lighthing in the winter if of you don't have a greenhouse. Otherwise they will not thrive.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have a greenhouse but I am wondering if anyone has ever gotten their tree to fruit and be edible? Nice a sweet like they pick them in the south?

I have seen many growing them, but have yet to actually speak to someone that has picked a fruit. I am beginning to think that even a greenhouse with such a lack of long days and hot real sunshine won't even do.

Thanks so much everyone.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Anyone?

I am going to bump this thread to the top until I see a picture of someone's tree here, and know that a Mango tree can successfully put out edible sweet fruit in my northern climate.

I do have the advantage of a greenhouse, but I am still left doubting.

If soneone here has had this success and I find out by April, then I will most certainly order one. I do have the option to buy a grafted one that claims to fruit to maturity in my climte but I don't believe it.lol

Mike

• soaht
    11 years ago

Try contacting the members Ohiojay and lycheeluva, they are both also in the colder climate state and has gotten theirs to fruit. I'm not sure how the taste would compare to southern states tree ripen mangoes, but it will still be better than store bought mangoes which are picked too early. Are the ones you're considering the condo mangoes ie: carrie, julie, cogshall, pickering? These will do fine in pots since they don't get very tall 8'-10', but can be mange to size of 5'-6' by pruning. I will send those 2 member a email and see if they will respond to help you out.

• ohiojay
    11 years ago

Several members have been successfully growing and fruiting not only mango, but others such as lychee, jaboticaba, grumichama, dragonfruit, miracle fruit, sugar apples, papaya, and many more in the northern states. The fruit are full sized and have tasted just as good as you would find them in Florida.

The Pine Island Nursery's website has a nice mango viewer of the varieties they carry. This is a good, reputable mail order nusery. Some good varieties off the top of my head for container growing would be Carrie, Julie, Ice Cream. There are so many new varieties out there now, it's hard to keep up with.

Don't use a container much larger than the roots of the plant. A good, well draining mix will work just fine.

• samuelforest
    11 years ago

My mango tree did produce some edible fruits this winter. I cannot tell if they taste the same as the ones in the south because I never ate some.

Here's some pictures of my tree:

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Soaht!!! Thank you

Samuel and Ohiojay, I can't believe it...

Whre do you grow them all winter and do you use lights or natural sun?
    Do you feed them?

You summer them outside?

I am so excited right now. Thank you so much.

Samuel...Is your fruit very sweet and not pulpy? It'doesn't look pulpy at all. It looks mighty juicy and sweet.

What is yours that is fruiting?

Thank you so much.

Mike

• samuelforest
    11 years ago

1. It grows in the garage with a 1000w metal halide grow light and a couple of cfls. I only feed it with some slow release fertilizer.

2.I do summer them outside.

3. What do you mean by pulpy? It was fiberless and really sweet and juicy. Carrie mangoes tend to be very juicy.

4. It's a carrie mango and I also have a pickering mango that is fruiting right now.

I'll be honest with you...It recently died of root rot :( My mistake! Gave it too much water during fruiting stage. I was also scared in the beginnning to put it in the gritty mix. So I didn't...

• ohiojay
    11 years ago

I have a GH. Many plants are directly into the ground with bulk of them in containers. No supplemental lighting. Would cost too much to purchase to cover the area correctly and way too expensive to operate.

I do pull some out in the summer...mainly so I can have more unrestricted room while cleaning the glass.

For several years I kept the temps at a minimum of 69-70 degrees. This kept most everything in a state of growth. I now have some rare items that are at the point where they could begin blooming. So I backed the temps to 59 for a few months or so. This gave the plants the needed rest. So now, hopefully these plants will push flowers instead of new growth.

It's now all easy and certainly not a "set it and forget it". It demands a lot of your time and effort. You get humbled quickly and often. You never stop trying to learn something...especially learning from the mistakes you WILL make!

Lots of great resources out there. I don't frequent this forum much...hanging out at our new one. I was only clued into this because someone emailed me and asked that I comment.

Good luck. It is a lot of fun and when a plant sends out its first bloom, it is really something else! But keep in mind there will be disappointments. Plants are going to die for any number of reasons. Many will die for reasons unknown and these are quite frustrating. The hardest to lose are those from stupidity. Boy does this sting. If I could only kick my own butt, I'd be doing it quite a bit.

So seek out all the info you can. Stay away from bare rooted tropical fruit trees for a while.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Samuel..Thank you so much for the info, your experience and honesty!

Hi Ohio..Thank you so much. In fact, thanks for taking the time to come here and encourage me with your fine works and results. I am excited now and I know I will be getting one as soon as spring rolls in. I can't wait!

Soaht..THANK YOU for getting in touch with these good people. I really appreciate it:-)

Mike

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Mike, I have FAITH in you getting a Mango tree to produce fruit for you. I've seen your healthy and thriving Citrus trees blooming and fruiting. Mangoes are similar to growing Citrus, so there's no doubt you will do just fine with your Mango. The biggest difference is Mango is a little more tropical than Citrus so you will have to keep them "slightly" warmer than your Citrus trees.

You'll do great Mike...but like Jay mentioned we've ALL had many disappointments growing Potted Mango and other fruit trees...so if "at first you don't succeed...try, try again" as the old saying goes!

Gosh knows I've killed a few Mango/tropical trees and plants in my time as well :o( ...been there done that,lol...

• soaht
    11 years ago

Meyermike-

You are most welcome, i'm just a newbie that has done lots of info searching. Ohiojay was just the first person that came to mind when people talk about growing tropical fruit up the north.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Pug! Thank you for your kind words and thanks again Soaht.

It has been a long day here with over 27 inches of snow. Oh how I long to see the warm days of spring or move south.

Mike

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

I wish I can send you some of our warmth and sun Mike...I'm thinking of you and hoping the best for your plants.

Unfortunately, we are not out of the woods yet, Spring is something we are all looking forward to. We've been blessed here in FL with a warm winter thus far, but we have a few more weeks to get through before we're safe...Hang in there my friend!! Good luck!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting