Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marinfla

Fruit Tree Relocation Question

marinfla
13 years ago

There is a possibility I may have to dig up my 3 year old Carrie tree and move it. Has anybody had the experience of digging up an established tree and replanting it? and did the tree survive?

Comments (5)

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Digging up an established mango tree isn't extremely difficult but there is some prep work involved. First you'll need to root prune the tree a month or two months before you move it. Then after root pruning just move it and plant it in the new location. I've seen 20ft mango trees moved and planted in a new location no problem. They seem to handle the transplanting pretty well.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Mango trees can be transplanted. Proper root pruning techniques employed before digging up the tree will help the translplant be succesful. How large is the tree now?

Harry

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

Unfortunately I have moved many fruit trees and shrubs, so far (knock, knock) I'm 100%. For me the best time is now, while it is still cold but also right before the warm up. My thinking is....it is as dormant as possible right now and the promise of warmer weather ahead of it. Since mangoes seem to tolerate root pruning (condo mangoes) it shouldn't be too bad. Try to dig as much of the root ball as possible, if you can, dig around the trees drip line. As you dig your hole, you can knock dirt off the remaining roots, somewhat bare rooting the tree, this makes it so much easier to move. Once you get it to where it can be moved, lift it out and wrap the root mass. Remember, lift with your legs not your back.:)

When you get it to it's new location, ideally you've already dug a rough hole for it. Finish digging the hole and place the unwrapped root ball into it. Be sure to have the tree positioned as close to the direction you want it, use a tape measure to make sure it is not too low before actually dropping it in. Backfill the hole and as you do, lift layers of roots to have them look more like an open umbrella laying on top of the dirt as opposed to a closed umbrella with dirt packed around it. Make sure that all the roots are covered with dirt. Next soak the dirt and roots pressing the edges of your hole firmly with your foot to pack the dirt be gentle right around the trunk. Now is the time to trim back, shape or Pug your tree as needed. Depending on your weather a few days to a week later rewater your tree with some superthrive or b-1 mixed in. If it is a big tree, stake it.

your mileage may vary,
    good luck!
    -Ethan

• zands
    13 years ago

Great advice here. Many thanks for all the comments. I have a mango tree I have to move after the fruiting season.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

I dug up trees that were a year old. Once you locate the taproot you should dig as deep as possible before severing it.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio