Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacob13_gw

'Paul Thompson' Jaboticaba

jacob13
12 years ago

Hello Friends,

I was curious to see if anyone owns or has heard of the "Thompson" (Paul Thompson) Jaboticaba. I picked one up about 6 months ago and it is suppose to have Golf ball size and bigger fruit. It was apparently selected by Paul Thompson and is supposed to have really great fruit. Any information out there?

Thanks,

Jacob

Comments (21)

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Golf ball size???? I'd like to see that. I saw a fairly large fruited Jaboticaba up at Gene Joyner's place in West Palm Beach.....but no where near golf ball sized fruits. Any pictures of this?

Harry

• nullzero
    12 years ago

Nice find! Update us on the progress of it, especially the fruit development.

• jacob13
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Harry,

I wish, I really have no information on this Jaboticaba other than from then guy working at Exotica Nursery who sold it to me. Jack, who also posts to this forum and lives in California, has a Jaboticaba which produces golf ball size Jaboticabas. I'm not sure which variety, but folks apparetly thought they were plums the first time they saw them.

- Jacob

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

dang it!!! I remember reading some older posts regarding the massively large jaboticabas grown in CA but can't seem to find the link...you're killin' me Jacob :)

Tim

• boson
    12 years ago

Hi,

Maybe you are talking about Myrciaria coronata? See picture below.

Tomas

Here is a link that might be useful:

• berto
    12 years ago

Jabuticaba/joboticaba is native to Brazil, and I have never heard of a Paul Thompson variety.
    Jabuticabas already have botanical names and common names. It would be helpful to identify the botanical name of this variety.
    Otherwise, we may get confused with newly created names to describe varieties already identified.

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

Found it! sort of... Jack's post was on cloudforest, not GW :(

Jack's post on cloudforest

Tim

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

Tomas & Berto - are the big eyes characteristic of Myrciaria coronata? Don't recall seeing that from all the jaboticabas I've eaten (unknown var), and biggest fruits were about the size of a nickel :)

Tim

• berto
    12 years ago

Ooops, Correction Jabuticaba/Jaboticaba.
    The photo from claudforest looks like a myrciaria coronata which in Brazil is called jabuticaba coroada or jabuticaba-de-coroa. Due to its whitish circle that looks like a crown (coroa) on one ends of the fruit.
    Take a look at this large jabuticaba fruit I ate in Brazil. It is a very large fruit,and in the northeast Brazil, this variety is called "Cambuca". Do not get confused with the real cambuca (plinia edulis) which is a yellow fruit.

• jacob13
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Friends,

So what do you guys think? Aren't Jack's Jaboticaba fruit the most amazing you have ever seen? Like I said, golf ball size fruit mistaken for plums.

- Jacob

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

I, for one, am still speechless......now moving to dumbfounded and desirous. I think there must be photoshopping at play here or maybe smoke and mirrors....except I don't see any smoke. Amazing!

Harry

• boson
    12 years ago

Hi Tim,

Even though I grow both, I don't have any fruiting jaboticaba tree myself - it will be many many years from now. But I just wanted to mention that Myrciaria coronata is not the same species as the regular jaboticaba (Myrciaria cauliflora). A friend of mine in Brazil told me this about M. coronata: "The fruits have a big dot at the end, a crown (corona) and are delicious"

Tomas

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

Harry, no photoshopping or smoke and mirrors, the real thing, and they taste good. I believe his fruits on the branches as opposed to the trunk (similar to Robert's?).

-Ethan

• rayandgwenn
    12 years ago

Thanks Jacob- now you have added another thing we all "need"!

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

Ethan - do you prefer the taste of M. coronata or M. cauliflora more?

Tim

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

Sorry Tim,
    I believe I've only tasted M. cauliflora. Not 100% sure but I believe Jack's fruits, though large, are not always that big, maybe a good crop/year??? He does on rare occasions post on GW.

-Ethan

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

Jaboticaba fruit size is dependent upon water uptake. So, in order for them to be consistently golf ball sized, you'd want to make sure that it gets a lot of water for time period between fruit set and harvest. The fruit on my regular jaboticaba will vary from the size of a dime to about the size of a 50 cent piece depending on how much water it gets.

Jeff

• jacob13
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Friends,

Hey Tim - Thanks for finding the Thread that Jack posted a while back. Those fruits of his are incredible. I have a Green Sapote that Jack brought to my house that started at about 2' feet tall and is now about 9' feet tall.

Ethan - I know you have tasted Jack's Jaboticabas but have you tasted others? If so, from where?

Thanks,

Jacob

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

Jacob, I believe I've only tasted Jack's, Exotica's and some at the CRFG tasting table, not very many.

-Ethan

• jackslo
    12 years ago

The jaboticaba exists! Not photoshopped or anything done to make it appear larger. Samples were at the 2008 Festival of Fruit at Fullerton arboretum for tasting. Local members of CRFG enjoyed the fruit also. Seedlings from the fruit were donated to members of the San Luis Obispo CRFG. Slow growing, it'll be some time to get results. We have had several years of similar fruit, however interestingly, no flowers, no fruit this year. Strange year with strange effects on a variety of fruiting plants. So what was specially done to create large fruits? Planted, watered, some fertilizer (15-15-15). Plant is hardy to freezes, in fact has had NO damage at 19 degrees (which wiped out far too many plants). I do believe Ethan has a seedling, check with him in 10 -15 years.

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

I have a few seedlings and a 5gal that you gave me Jack, they are some of my prized possessions.

thanks again,
    -Ethan