Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mango bacterial leaf blight

Posted by tvoneicken 9b (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 21:31

I bought a small mango tree close to a year ago and this fall it developed what looks like bacterial leaf blight (angular black spots) on almost all its leaves. I removed most leaves about a month ago. Given our crazy california january it's now starting to put out new shoots which look good so far. I'm wondering what to do, if anything. One option is to just keep removing leaves that show spots, although that probably means defoliating the tree except for the new shoots... I've read about copper spray but I wonder whether that also defoliates (it does with apricots as far as I can tell). Or should I destroy the tree and try to find a new one? I'm pretty sure it came with the disease because I bought another tree for a friend who has the same problem. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mango bacterial leaf blight

im no expert on leaf blight, but i had similar spots on my mango.
(mine may have been whitefly / scale...)

i used NEEM oil and it seemed to help.
mine isnt that bad, so im just letting it go.
i figure spring isnt far away, sunshine should make it grow faster hopefully the new leaves will be OK

as long as you can keep it from spreading to other trees, i would keep it, and maybe just remove the real bad spots

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here