Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
man_go_bananas

Mango Seeds

Man-Go-Bananas
13 years ago

Does anyone have mango seeds such as Pickering, Carrie, Graham, Glenn, or Mallika?

Thanks For The Cooperation, MGB

Comments (29)

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes......or let's say will have Mother Nature willing. Check back in June.

Harry

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Harry!

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

I always hunt out some prime mangos in season here, Im not always able to positively identify them but I will keep you updated,

Is it better to dehusk them before shipping? probably be cheaper because they would fit in the smaller bubble envelope

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

mango_kush- I would think if the seeds were dehusked they would loose their viability faster..... But it would make for easier shipping.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Mnago seeds can be sent either way. You just need some sort of moisture holding medium if you send without the husk. For me, I send with the husk on. Its already enough work to clean the exterior of the husk and have it ready to mail. The husk protects the seed kernel and the recipient can do the work of husking or not as he or she sees fit when planting.

Harry

• iammarcus
    13 years ago

Harry I too would like some seeds, do you also have Julie?
    Will check back in June if you don't mind.
    Dan

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Looks like I wil have Julie.....anthracnose and God willing.

Harry

• boson
    13 years ago

Hi Man-Go-Banana,

I have a few budding fruits of Mallika right now. If you are interested, send me an email and I would be glad to email you some seeds. It's the best way for me to remember.

Tomas

• phxplantaddict
    13 years ago

Tomas, I tried sending an email but you have it turned off. I would like to purchase some seeds from you if available. Please lmk azleatherking@aol.com. Thank you in advance Don

• boson
    13 years ago

Hi Don,

I sent you an email. I hope you got it.

Tomas

• adiel
    13 years ago

I think most of the folks on here asking for seeds already know this but just in case:

When you plant a mango seed, the resulting mango tree will not be true to seed. In another words, if you plant for example a "Haden" mango seed, the resulting tree will not be a "Haden", it will not taste like a "Haden" and could contain qualities that make it inferior such as high fiber, excessive vegetative growth (very tall tree) and less disease resistance. Also, if a grafted tree gives you mangos after 2 years of planting it, you might have to wait up to 10 years for a seedling tree to give you fruit. There are some types of seeds that will produce the same as the mother tree (polyembryonic) but even then you can come out with a different tree.

Having said that, there could be reasons why you want to grow a tree from seed: You want to experiment and create a new variety, you want to experiment and see how those rootstocks perform when you use then for grafting, you want a very tall tree or you simply just want to do it for fun!

Adiel

• tropicaliste
    13 years ago

Essentially Adiel you are saying to go to the market and buy a mango and plant the seed, then graft onto that seedling, correct?

This is basically what I kind of thought of doing but is there a reason why the seeds above are a better way to go?(besides the 'experimental' value) Suggestions?

:)

• adiel
    13 years ago

Hi tropicaliste. Good to hear from you. As far as seeds for grafting go, I would only use the turpentine seed as a rootstock. It is the respected seed for decades which has a strong root system for mangos. Also check with Harry since I believe he uses another variety of seed that has worked out. What I meant was that there might be some other folks that are planting other seeds as rootstock for experimental purposes; possibly to experiment in other types of soil. If you are not planting for experimental purposes and are just looking for a good rootstock seed, then stick with turpentine. Did that clear things up or cause more confusion? :)

Adiel

• tropicaliste
    13 years ago

Thank you, Adiel that's quite a lot of information but I doubt I can get turpentine anywhere around here without using the same amount of resources on an already grafted mango... which is possibly a better route anyway and I'd only want these seedlings in the event of locating affordable scion/material.

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hello Tropicaliste,
    Have you looked into the National germplasm thru the USDA? A lot of people here have utilized it aat least one time, including myself.

Maybe 2 years ago now I got a bunch of pineapples from them. I also just requested fig cuttings from them, and if all works out, I will have them by June or July. That's the only bad thing about getting plant material thru them. You don't know for sure when you will get them but on the other hand, you can get some really great stuff!!

I don't remember who it was, but someone here actually got lychee trees thru them. I also know that the fig cuttings are really nice as I saw what people recieved on the GW's Fig forum.

Andrew

• nullzero
    13 years ago

I got my USDA order in about a week and a half ago. Ordered a bunch of pomegranates, mulberry, and fig cuttings. Got all my ordered cuttings in :). Unfortunately, I have no more cuttings left to trade with. I gave some cuttings to some of my trading buddies.

• tropicaliste
    13 years ago

Andrew:

Was kind of thinking that on account of that same posting from a little while back of a member here who got the lychees from the station in Hilo, I can't remember who though at the moment... I haven't ever contacted them though... are they usually receptive to requests? I would like to try them.

• iammarcus
    13 years ago

Andrew Which USDA location did you use for pineapples? I have an order in with UC Davis but they only had fig, grape, mulberry (all part of my order) and possibly pomogranate.
    Dan

• Canadian_Mango
    12 years ago

Hello all,
    I am new to all this. I have started germinating seeds from all sorts of fruits, Pineapple, coconut, avocado, lytchie and now mango. I am very fond of mangoes so I decided to concentrate on mangoes and lytchies. I decided to grow a Cogshall since it seems to be the most suitable variety for indoors growth (I live in Canada, very cold here in the winter). I have been looking all over the internet to purchase some cogshall seeds but found no place that sell. I am starting to feel discouraged. I am even considering going on vacation in Florida to bring back some Cogshall seeds myself.
    Would anyone have any idea how I can get some Cogshall seeds anywhere? If you have a Cogshall at home that is fruiting I would be more than interested in purchasing it from you.

Thanks everyone.

P.S. I have posted this same message in a different group discussion but found that this discussion was a bit more relevant to my question. Cheers !

• zands
    12 years ago

By and large mangoes do not grow true to seed. They are grafted. Cogshall in particular needs to grafted. You plant a Cogshall seed and you could get anything. If you made a trip to Florida, better to buy some grafted mangoes and take them home. But I suppose Canada customs would keep them out

• Canadian_Mango
    12 years ago

Hello Zands,
    Thanks for your input. I guess it kind of bursts my bubble here. Seems like if you want a tree to grow true to it's seed, the seed must be monoembryotic. I guess I can continue with my experiments and eventually find a Cogshall monoemryotic seed. I'm still interested in trying our Cogshall seeds though.

BTW, does anyone know if it is possible to graft a mango tree on a different specie, say an apple tree?

• Beth Wallbank
    7 years ago

I know I am a few years long past this post, but I am in Canada, and seeking different varieties of mango seeds, cogshall, kiett, anything other than the normal walmart mango. I have had great success growing from seed, just getting bored of Atoulfo and walmart germinating. I am more than willing to send a self addressed stamped envelope or can paypal funds to do so. Thank you in advance, and hopefully there are some of you mango gurus that can help

• gnappi
    7 years ago

Is it legal to send seeds into Canada?

• Beth Wallbank
    7 years ago

they need inspection i do believe, but yes you can

• gnappi
    7 years ago

What about getting phyto permits? I doubt most private growers would do thzt.

• Beth Wallbank
    7 years ago

no but it can be done on my end

• tropicbreezent
    7 years ago

Phytosanitary certificates are provided by the supplier of the plant/seed. It guarantees it's pest or disease free before arriving in the destination country. Without the certificate it's placed in quarantine for a period of time to see it anything shows up. That can be an expensive exercise as they may charge you for the laboratory facilities it's done in. But you should be able to do a search of the quarantine database to find out whether a certificate is required for what you want to import. Not everything necessarily needs a certificate.

• Goozoon (Zone 7b, SK-HU)
    7 years ago

what about dwarf mango seeds? Anyone please? All i can gete are Kent, but these are biiig trees