Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bradflorida

Lychee varieties - help with order of harvest times

bradflorida
12 years ago

I have collected the following lychee varieties, and am wondering if anyone might know which ones come early, which late, etc.

Sweetheart, Kaimana, Poamoho, Ohia, Groff.

Thanks!

Brad

Comments (6)

• lycheeluva
    12 years ago

i know sweetheart is early. dont know about the others. nice unusual collection, though i strongly suggest adding mauritius (my fave)
    ive never heard of Poamoho. where did you pick that up from and what do you know about itu

• Bob1016
    12 years ago

If you want a continual flow, get hakip (can't spell sorry), Brewster, emperor. They ripen as sweetheart, hakip, Brewster and emp. Also the Brewster gets very large yeilds every other year or so.
    Not really sure about the other varieties you have.
    Lycheeluva, you like mauritius! I can't stand it. Strange, though I did grow up with the brewster and hakip. The emperor has to be my favorite, as large as a sweetheart, but less floral, as sweet as hakip, but a nice acidity to balance it.

• bradflorida
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Bob and Lycheeluva.

Lycheeluva - the Poamoho lychee tree is an airlayer from a tree at the Poamoho Research Station in Hawaii, where I believe 500 seedlings of Hak Ip (and possibly other varieties) were planted, in order to find a seedling that might produce better in Hawaii (where they really don't get any chilling hours to speak of). Frank, of Frankie's Nursery in Hawaii, found that this particular tree seemed to be much more productive than the others, and simply called it "Poamoho". (not the same as the Kaimana)

Brad

• lycheeluva
    12 years ago

bob- mauritius lychee is my fave food on the planet. when they are in season, i eat about 5 pounds a day for 5 weeks straight. its a total mystery to me how everyone else does not feel the same way.

brad- thanks for the info on poamoho

• bradflorida
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I actually had my first Mauritius (I believe) at Jeff's house last weekend. It tasted great, but it was frozen. So maybe it's not a true representation.

My apprehension on Mauritius has been that I remember reading references to Mauritius being sensitive to fungus / anthracnose. Is this true here in Florida? If so, what are people doing for treatment / prevention?

Brad

• Bob1016
    12 years ago

The mauritius trees grow fine in broward, no signs of anything other than producing.
    I guess the taste may be a genetic thing, my grandfather can't stand them either, but he still grows and sells them.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler