Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carbos5

Which Mango Cultivar For My Yard?

carbos
12 years ago

I want to add a second mango tree. I have one established Cogshall in the ground now. Small yard, located in central Broward County. Open to opinions and suggestions. Thank you.

Comments (13)

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Hi Carbos

What kind of mango would you like? Dwarf, mid season, fiberless, old cultivar? A little more info on your preferences would help.

JF

• carbos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Indeed, JF. More info. . .
    Due to space limitations, it needs to be maybe 12 feet max. So a tree that takes well to pruning is perferable.
    Early to mid season, would be fine. Fiberless a must.
    A cultivar that is disease resistant would be great, too, considering the wet summers we have here.

• johnb51
    12 years ago

I'm also in Broward (Deerfield), and have space limitations as well. I'm going with Pickering but am interested in Angie, too. So far (next half-year) Zill (#1 wholesale mango nursery) is propagating Angie exclusively for Fairchild Tropical Garden for their July Mango festival.
    (Do you know about the other forum? Seems like all the action is over there.)

• squam256
    12 years ago

Pickering or Fairchild are both good 'small' trees with fiberless, disease resistant fruit.

• mangomandan
    12 years ago

Fairchild mango has gotten good reviews through the years. That said, the couple times I was able to taste it, it seemed milder than I would have liked. If you get the chance, you may want to taste it before planting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Campbell article about Fairchild mango

• squam256
    12 years ago

Its a Saigon-type so it can get washed-out flavor when the soil is too wet. Not unlike Glenn or Florigon (both likely Saigon-descendants).

The benefit, if the flavor is agreeable, is that it produces well even in 'poor' mango years. Same with Florigon.

• mango-maniatico
    12 years ago

I love Fairchild and i heard just about good thinks about Pickering,but if i were u i will like to extend my mango season ,u have a Cogshall so i will try something earlier or later.Angie is supouse to be early but i dont have the experience and in the other end a Graham or a Beverly will give u later options .

• carbos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Haven't made any firm decision yet, but from some reading I am leaning towards a Pickering.

• adiel
    12 years ago

+1 for the Angie

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Pickering is a good choice but Angie seems to be a popular cultivar with a lot of people. Zill has release several new varieties but I don't know if they would meet your size standard.

JF

• carbos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I keep hearing about Zill. An online search for them didn't reveal much. Where are they located? Do they have a website?

• johnb51
    12 years ago

Zill keeps a very low profile even though they're the #1 mango nursery in the U.S. It's a strictly wholesale operation that doesn't sell retail to the general public. They couldn't be bothered. They're in Boynton Beach, FL.

• carbos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ahhh, that explains their absence of a website on the 'net.
    Thanks for the info.