Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wizzard419

Growing Passion Fruit

wizzard419
12 years ago

I'm curious, I got a vine last year (the purple cultivar) and I was wondering how are you able to tell when the fruit is ripe?

Comments (10)

• Kevin Reilly
    12 years ago

You let them fall of the vine. If they haven't wrinkled up yet leave them to wrinkle/shrivel up in a paper bag on the fridge or by a sunny window (you can add an apple to the bag to help as well)..

If you don't let them fully shrivel/ripen they are too tart..

• wizzard419
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ah, do people do something similar to the mango method where they tie a bag to the stem so that it falls off without hitting the ground?

• Nikitas_10a, Corfu
    12 years ago

Don't worry. The fruits don't get bruised when they hit the ground.

Nik

• Andrew Scott
    12 years ago

I also had a question about growing passionfruit. I recieved seeds from a yellow variety from Hawaii(I believe the variety is Lilokai..not sure if that's spelled right). The seeds germinated right away and I gradually moved them up to a 15 gal container.

I live in zone 6 and around October, I brought the pot in. The vines are growing like crazy but I wonder how long it will take for the vines to bloom?

When is the best time to prune these vines? I don't want to prune at the wrong time and end up not having flowers.

Thanks
    Andrew

• wizzard419
    Original Author
    12 years ago

From what I heard, they need to get to 8-10 feet long before they will get fruit set.

• Andrew Scott
    12 years ago

Mine has certainly past that requirement!
    Andrew

• msmorningsong
    10 years ago

Just to put an answer to this, I grow both red and yellow commercial passions, which is what your LIlikoi is.
    They flower/fruit from seed in about 2 years, and are self-pollinating. Another interesting thing about having p.edulis lilikoi is if you ever happen to get the red passionflower, a cross pollination will create an even more delicious fruit than edulis herself. (You are setting the fruit on the red, not the edulis)

This post was edited by MsMorningSong on Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 6:43

• greenman62
    10 years ago

i grew a maypop this last summer and i got several flowers from it, only 1 fruit ripened, but it was REAL good
    i hope it comes back, i would love a hundred fruit like that!
    i heard it would take 2 years, but 8-9 months i had a fruit

my understanding is most passifloras roots like to run and like room, not sure how well it could do in a pot ?

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

They like high pH and well drained soil. They do well with poultry manure.

• msmorningsong
    10 years ago

Greenman, I was referring to most passionflowers from seeds, at least the species I've grown. Yes, I've grown maypop (incarnata) and also stinking passion (foetida) and both fruited in under a year. But all the other passions I've grown from seed take longer. P. incarnata is the yummiest, and is green when ripe, weird?
    It is my hubby's favorite. Trim it back to get more fruits, it gets stronger as time goes by from the trimming and will set more fruit.
    Yes, most passions do root and run. Only exception I've run into are granadilla and vitifolia, which although they do run, do it much less than incarnata. Those are just my own personal experiences, and I'm sure others have thoughts of their own to add.