Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njrudolph_gw

Mango Diseased?

njrudolph
12 years ago

I am so excited to find a forum like this. We just moved to the desert of Southern California and are living in a rental home that has several citrus/fruit trees in the back yard. I am thrilled but have no idea what I am doing. Everything looks pretty good except I am not so sure about the mango tree. I'm pretty sure this is a mango. I've googled and the leaves smell like mango. I'd like to know if this really has a problem and what I need to do to remedy it?

Thanks in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful: 4 Diseased Mango Tree Pictures

Comments (7)

• mullenium
    12 years ago

it looks alright for a desert mango.. maybe flush it with water, could be salt buildup.. maybe it wasnt being watered properly.. slow and deep is key

• mangodog
    12 years ago

NJ - talk to me - where are you located? I'm in Palm Springs....it looks to me like exactly what Mulls said - some salt buildup - all the trees I have get some of that on their leaves....deep and slow watering....I mean it could be overfertilization, but probably not....

It would be cool if you were in the Coachella Valley as I am completely alone here with my mango obsession!

LOL.....

MangoWoofie

• njrudolph
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ya'll are awesome! Thanks for the quick responses. It is on an irrigation system where it gets watered once a day for probably 5 mins. Probably not enough. Thanks for the help!

• njrudolph
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Not sure if you will see this follow up MangoWoofie! I am in Indio...NE in Terra Lago! LOVE it here! Beautiful weather! I'm sure hoping this mango tree produces! Help me out for some good tips! =) Thanks so much!

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Indio!!!!

Great ... finally.... a Coachella sighting!!!!!!!!!!

I'm gonna send you an email and tell you a few things....

MangoHound

• kobe24
    12 years ago

ThIs isss EXACTLY what my mango has, mangodog can help me out also??

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Kobe - part of this burned leaf look naturally happens on older leaves, as our soil does have salt. The solution is to water it slowly and deeply for an hour or two. Not knowing how big your tree is, it's hard to say how large of a flow of water to use, but the idea is like a medium trickle from a hose that you can move around the perimeter of the tree's base every 15 minutes or so, until the diameter that the roots cover is soaked. What's happening is the water is reabsorbing the salts, diuluting them and sending them deeper into ground, out of the way of the roots. Hopefully this is NOT happening with new growth, but even so, the same procedure can be applied. And if it is from fertilization or some weedkiller like Roundup, this should also work.....

Thereafter and going forward,if at all possible, deep water the mango (and less frequently) so the tap root goes deep and the salt buildup remains minimal...obviously much more in warmer times and less so when colder....

Can you send a picture?

oh, and njr - did you get my email????

mangomangy