Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xtenzion

Optimal growing tempreture for Mango trees

xtenzion
11 years ago

Hi!

I'm living in a subtropical part of eastern Australia. We have dry winters with temperatures of 65f-72f and summers with 77f-95f.

We have heavy rain in the summer and dry conditions in the winter.

My mango tree is just a couple month old and i wondering what the optimal growing tempreture is?

I have a small portable greenhouse and my question is if my mango tree will grow faster if i use the greenhouse during the winter to give the mango tree summer temperature in the winter?

Many plants does grow faster in the summer so i thought that giving my mango tree higher temperature in the winter would give it a boost.

Comments (7)

• soaht
    11 years ago

Sounds like perfect weather over there. You can grow more than just mangoes, come to think of it lychee( if you are interested in that) would do great for you since they love wet summers and dry winters. Don't think you would even need a green house with winter being so warm over there. Mature trees can with stand down to 28F-32F, since yours is young and small you will only need protection if it ever drops to about the low 30s other wise it should be fine. Winter is there to allow the trees rest and store energy for spring growing season. Although a green house would provide extra heat and promote winter growth.

Forgot to ask is your mango seed grown or grafted? Seed grown mango can start bearing anywhere from 3-5 years, but could take longer and grafted ones can bear around 2-3 years.

And we are talking about Fahrenheit(degree) and not Celsius right?

• mangodog
    11 years ago

Mr. Xtenzion - as soaht says, your temps and overall conditions including rainfall, sound optimal for mangos!!!!

I wouldn't deal with the greenhouse idea either. Don't forget, mangos like some dry and/or cooler temps to set their flowers. No, you sound good to go...as you are....

I have the same situation as yours where I live but winter temps are more in the 60's (F) as a high and summers are in the 100's (F) for like 3 1/2 to 4 months.....

They (and other sub-tropicals) should do great!!!!!!!!!!

Post some pictures if you get the chance.....

mangowoofie

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    11 years ago

Sounds like Los Angeles,and Mangos become tree's there. Only the grower supplys the summer water.

• xtenzion
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the advice, I will probably let my mango tree rest during the winter :)

My Mango tree is grafted, it's a R2E2 tree and the lady at the nursery told me that i might even got fruit withing one year from planting, don't know if that was just a sales pitch...I have read that the R2E2s is growing very rapidly the first couple of years.

But what do you guys think, is mangoes fruting withing a year just to forget? I planted my tree in early summer.

Yeah the climate here is fanstastic, I'm from Sweden myself and becuase it's so damn cold you can't almost grow anything. But here in Bundaberg in Australia the weather is just fantastic and I can grow pretty much everything, lettuce and strawberries is my favourites in the winter, and then summer i try my best with watermelons and cantaloupe but have no good luck so far.

My Ladyfinger banana tree's I'm growing is doing fantastic, I planted them next to my compost bin and they are growing like crazy! Everything I grow around that compost bin is making the plants go crazy!

Lychees is interesting, so If I would get a grafted lychee tree, how many years would it take before I get fruit on it in general?

Grafted tree's here in Australia is so expensive, costs around 65USD per grafted tree...

• soaht
    11 years ago

Mango fruiting after a year of planting isn't impossible. Just depend on how big the tree was when purchase. If it was a 3 gallon, then it might set fruit and drop the fruit after it becomes a certain size since it's still young and can't handle fruit bearing yet. If it's a 7 gallon or bigger, then it should definitely set fruit the following year and hold onto them. In another word it's mother nature's way of telling the tree that it's too young and not ready to bear fruit yet, just like a teenager should't be having babies yet ;)

Plants just love compost since it's super rich in the nutrients that they need like nitrogen from all the break down of organic materials.

Lychee should be the same within 2-3 year, fruiting after a year of plant isn't impossible either. Just not recommended, better to let the tree grow more mature.

If you wanted another R2E2 tree, you can plant a seed of store bought fruit, since i've read that it's a polyembryonic type. Meaning it will come true to the parent fruit and have same characteristic or similar taste.

Hopefully Mangodog and stanofh will help clear up some things of what I said. I've just started this hobby also, but have read and learned so much from these people on this wonderful forum.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Wiki says the optimum temperature is 82f.

• Francesco Delvillani
    6 years ago

I think you have perfect climate for growing Mango :)

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks