Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cherimoyas and Ripening

Posted by jacob13 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 25, 11 at 1:14

Hello Friends,

I just came up on some nice Cherimoyas and don't want all of them to ripen at the same time. What can I do to keep some of them from ripening? Will putting them in the refrigerator do the job without damaging them? Please let me know.

Thanks,

Jacob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cherimoyas and Ripening

I am not sure if they would ripen ok after being in the fridge. I would probably let them all get pretty much ripe on the counter and then put them in the fridge. I would think they would at least last a few days like that before the quality started dropping.

o

This came from the grower himself when I got mine.
He specifically instructed me to refrigerate most of them just for that purpose. I put mine in the drawers at the very bottom so it doesn't get too cold.
Taking out one or two every other day for ripening.
So far, that's worked out well for me. Maybe my pallets are not as sophisticated compared to yours but the cherimoyas were good and tasted about the same.

I've also tried the other way but made a mistake by not letting it fully ripened. When I stuck it in the fridge, the process stalled and ended up with nearly a quarter of that fruit still somewhat hard. So you gotta be careful with your inspection. hope that helps

Tim

o

Cherimoyas ripen faster when they are together. If you single them out and keep them away from bananas or other fruit they will last longer. Also, do not store then near paper or in paper bags -this causes them to ripen faster than usual(four or less days)

Every method mentioned if done opposite will help ripen the fruit faster.
Hope this was helpful,

Daniel

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here