Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abayomi_gw

Choosing among 9 mangoes trees

abayomi
13 years ago

Finally I have permission to attempt import of fruit trees from a nursery willing to perform the exhaustive tests for local requirements. In this regard and bearing in mind my local conditions are normally very humid, have consistent rain every month (pollination issues?) and strong winter winds, view on mangoes listed are appreciated.

Anderson

Ataulfo

Edward

Valencia Pride

Tommy Atkins

Ford

Haden

Lippens

Other items of interest I need to choose from include:

Annona cherimola cv. Fina de jete

Annona cherimola cv. Madeira

Bunchosia armeniaca - Cafezinho

Dimocarpus longan cv. Sri Chompoo

Hylocereus purpusii - Pitahaya

Hylocereus undatus - Pitahaya

Litchi chinensis Early Large Red

Litchi chinensis Tai So

Pouteria campechiana cv. ' Bruce '

Pouteria sapota Pantin - Mamey Colorado

Comments (16)

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

I would recommend
    Edward
    Valencia Pride
    Ataulfo

I probably wouldnt bother buying these older cultivars, In my opinion you would be better off trying to grow some polyembryonic seeds.
    Haden
    Lippens
    Ford
    Tommy Atkins
    Anderson

I would get the mamey, pantin is a red flesh variety, cherimoya doesnt do so well in low land areas, longan and lychee do need some chill in the winter to go dormant, they shopuld work there. Im pretty sure Tai So is the old Chinese name for Mauritius, you should ask your source and see if they know.

• squam256
    13 years ago

Anderson and Ford will literally crack and split on the tree. Ford is just a lousy mango by most accounts.

Tommy Atkins is productive and attractive but the fruit is pretty mediocre.

Haden is a decent mango but if you are in high humidity then it will have fungus issues......and Ataulfo is adapted to a drier growing climate so I'm not too sure about how it would do in high humidity. I know that it is not grown here in Florida.

So strictly from that list, probably Valencia Pride, Edward, and possibly Lippens.

From the other plants list I'd go with the lychees, longans, and Pantin mamey.

Was this a list you compiled yourself or a list compiled from available nurserystock? Because I've never seen a nursery that carried Ford mango. Anderson and Lippens aren't common either.

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

There are tons of better mango varieties out there that are better than what is on your list. Do you have a list of what the nursery has available? If it were me, I would be looking to get Nam doc Mai, Edward, Carrie, Pickering, Dot, Lancetilla, Valencia pride, and Okrung. Maybe even one of the newly named Tebow. I have not tasted that one but it sounds like it should be good. I think if you are going through all of the trouble to import the trees you should definitely try to find better types than a lot of what you have listed so far. Good luck

• tropicalgrower89
    13 years ago

From my personal experience, Haden is pretty good. It only had a fungus problem once during the eight years it has been growing. I took care of it by using water, laundry soap, and a brush. Cleaned it up really good. Of course, the tree was much smaller. It always gave me tons of wonderful sweet mangoes. The only other mango I ate was a carrie and it was awesome. It had a special flavor to it. The haden flavor seemed to be a bit more peachy. Here is a great guide to buying the best mango for yourself. http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/mango/index.shtml

When it comes to mamey, Pantin is a good variety, but if you want fruit even sooner, you should get a Pace. Pace also has a higher yield. Scroll down the page of this link and you will find a chart for different mamey varieties. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg331

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Abayomi:

My comments on your mangoes listed.

Anderson is, at best, of only fair eating quality on the scale of Excellent, Good, Fair and Poor. Its mostly grown as a mango for cooking and pickling. The fruit is large and has a bad habit of splitting before fully maturing. I'd steer away from it.

Ataulfo I can ony comment in regard to eating quality. I have no idea how it would do under your conditions. I would classify it as Good. Although it is currently growing in more arid regions than you would be growing it in, its shape indicates to me that it might be more moisture tolerant than you'd expect.

I'd highly recommend Edward and Valencia Pride....both well worth growing.

Ford puts out huge fruits. I am not growing it and have never tried it, but I think it is one of the ones that would be in the Fair eating quality category. Here's a picture of a friend of mine at the Mango Festival with his friends, the Ford mangoes.

Haden is old technology but is a nice flavored mango. A bit more fiber than I prefer, but very eatable. Lots of anthracnose problems and you may have some trouble with that.

Lippens is a Haden seedling and is nicely flavored......say Good to Excellent, with overtones of pineapple, but has big problems with humidity and will likely dissappoint with its lack of production.

Tommy Atkins will probably produce the most fruit for you.....but the question will be if you can find enough willing mouths to eat what the tree produces. Well, that may be a bit overstated....seriously, the eating quality is fair, with tree ripening.

Good luck in choosing.

Harry

• abayomi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

As usual, the collectiive wisdom of the crew here prevails. Disease resistance capability, taste and fruiting under consistent rains is a must.

Edward and Valencia Pride it is and i may take a chance on an Ataulfo.

By the way, can lychee be stimulated to flower by removing leaves? We don't have much winter chill (technically almost zero hours, temps from to the mid 50s at best)

http://www.canarius.com/shop/vmchk/a-z-total

Also, to answer the query, these are all the mangoes available from this nursery. They do have quite a few more tropicals of interest to me though. I'll get more of the 3 of interest (they have a local one that as mentioned elsewhere sounds interesting).

Oh. And I forgot to add these ones they have:
    Extrema
    Heidi
    Irwin

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

I'm not familiar with Heidi. Extrema is from Paraguay and has been a curator's choice at Fairchild. I do have it and it does produce decently. The skin is very easiliy marred by fungus but the interior of the fruit stays well. I personally don't care for the taste of it though. A bit overboard on the resinousness for the the over all flavor. I would rate it as ony fair.

On the otherhand, Irwin is quite a nice mango with excellent eating qualities. Not sure how it would do under your conditions. It is a consistant bearer here in Florida and I would highly reccomend it as well.

Harry

• abayomi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! I'll add one or two Extremas and Irwins to the mix. Does anyone else have experience with mangoes shipped bareroot? They have to be shipped this way to my locale. Plant protection did give us permission to wrap the roots in wet newspaper at least...

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Mangoes do OK barerooted. Not as well as being shipped in a potting medium, but they'll do being wrapped in wet newspaper. How long do you anticipate them being without soil? I have seen mangoe trees barerooted for 7 or 8 days recover nicely once repotted.

Harry

• abayomi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I expect the transit from there to here to last about 4 - 7 days. Fingers crossed.

• mangodog
    13 years ago

Abayomi - could you take and post pictures of the plants once you receive them?

Good luck - covering new ground for all Bermudians!

mangoLassie

• abayomi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. I still am resisting the idea of signing up to post my pictures online :)

I heard back from the nursery today and they now tell me they have a few more temptations for me, namely:

Mangifera Keitt
    Mangifera Osteen
    Mangifera Manzanillo

Any comments on these re consistent rain, high humidity areas, taste, productivity?

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Keitt is a great mango for its size and lateness. It won't win any taste contests, but it is still nicely flavored and low in fiber.

Osteen is a purple lavender skinned mango. It has a good flavor and low fiber and should be seriousy considered. I am not growing it becuase it was not as good as some of the other mangoes, but it does have good production here in Florida. Its a Haden seedling I believe.

Can't tell you much about manzanillo.

Harry

• squam256
    13 years ago

Keitt is a good tree. Produces pretty good fruit with good sweet if unspectacular flavor and minimal fiber. Fungus resistant and a pretty good producer, plus the tree isn't a very vigorous grower, though the growth habit is distinctively scraggly. If I could only pick 1 tree to plant from the list thus far it would probably be between that and Valencia Pride. The fruit can get quite big on this one.

Osteen is an ok/mild mid-to-late season mango that is reasonably productive as well. Produces prettier fruit than Keitt (which is usually just green with minimal blush). The fruit get to be decent sized. I think Keitt tastes better though.

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

I love my Keitt. Good tasting big mango (better than VP in my opinion at least), resistant to anthracnose, and good producer.

Jeff

• abayomi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Add an osteen and a keitt. "Manzanillo-Nunez" is said elsewhere to be "a chance seedling first noticed in 1972, is gaining in popularity because of its regular bearing, skin colour (75 percent red), nearly fibreless flesh, good quality, high yield and resistance to anthracnose. Ataulfo, another chance seedling originated in Chiapas, M�xico has been exported successfully to the US market. Its fibre-free texture, firmer body and attractive orange colour have encouraged producers to start new plantations with this variety."

Here is a link that might be useful: FAO Mango Compendium