Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
longaeva54

Mango Nam Doc Mai vs Maha Chinook

longaeva54
10 years ago

I want to plant one mango plant in a container, which one to choose Nam Doc Mai or Maha Chinook? Thanks.

Comments (17)

• jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a )
    10 years ago

Maha Chanook, hands down !

• mangodog
    10 years ago

Yeah, you better do a Maha - it's unusually good....

MDog

• chuckurso1
    10 years ago

How does it compare to say a Dot or Himsager?. I sampled so many and thought I had tasted Maha too but cannot remember!

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Maha gets my vote!! NDM is known for fruits "splitting".

Here's my Maha...bought it 14 months ago and its blooming today :o)

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Hoping "if" the fruits hold to taste one this year :o)

• mangodog
    10 years ago

Sorry chuck - this mango grower doesn't know Dot or Himsager,, never tasted them, but I do know that Maha is up near the top of many people's list of favorites ....... but of course, there can NEVER be an accounting for people's tastes, eh?

MD

• sapote
    10 years ago

Does anyone have an Edward? It seems not many reference on this forum about Edward; I bought a tree this year and heard it's also taste very good.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

I don't have an Edward, I also heard its an excellent mango...the only negative thing I've heard is that its a shy bearer?

• sapote
    10 years ago

Puglvr, shy bearer is an issue for commercial grower, but for us 20 fruits is more than enough don't you agree, especially when the tree is on wheel (in a pot)?

Seriously when it says shy bearer, what quantity are they talking about?

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Shy bearer might also mean alternate bearer as well. If in pots the shy bearer could mean just a few say 3-5. Yet a prolific bearer like a Pickering could mean 12+. I personally wouldn't plant a mango variety in a pot that has a reputation for not being a good producer. That might do better in ground. But that's just for me. If you like it I say go for it :)

• myamberdog
    10 years ago

I don't know - I'm off to a good start on my Edward this year, transplanted only 11 months ago from it's former location.
    Here's some picture of the small fruits. There are several more branches that look like this one...Let's see what falls
    off and what remains......As Puglvr knows, this is a long and dicey waiting game....Gary

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Congrats MAD!! Hoping for the best for your Edward...please keep us posted on its progress :o)

• myamberdog
    10 years ago

THanks, Nancy! It's a pretty good start on the way to tasting one of those highly rated mangoes.....

Gary

• sapote
    10 years ago

Gary, is it true Edward leaves are lighter green compare to others, say Manila or VP?

Is this the first time your Edward having fruit? how large the tree?

In this case, I used to jump in and picked off the smaller lesser fruits, but now I tend to leave it for nature -- I think with million years of perfection these mango trees seem to know what is best. My mangoes are too precious for me to try experiments. I tried before and the results were not good.

• myamberdog
    10 years ago

Don't know if the Edward leaves are lighter green that other mangoes. Perhaps they need some nutrient....or.....its the desert sun doing its thing! I do feed them a variety of things throughout the year....

THis is the first time they've held fruit to the size of marbles. I've had fruits the size of BB's before, but they fell off I think because it was planted against a western wall and got way too warm to hold fruit, but I don't know that for sure. The tree is about 6 feet high, 5 feet wide.

Maybe I'm getting way ahead of myself

• sapote
    10 years ago

Gary,

Not just your Edward, but mine is also lighter green than other variety.
    Last Sunday we had 90F weather and my Alphonso planted 12" from the south facing white wall had many tiny fruit wilted. I'm hanging a sun screen to reduce the sun light. When the tree taller I will train it out away from the wall. Alphonso flower has strong fragrant and I have yet seen any bees on it while bees are regularly on Manila and Maha.