Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oh No! My Mango Tree!

Posted by carbos (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 26, 11 at 7:45

I hope you all can help me with something that has me concerned. I have attached some photos to help explain. I have a Cogshall mango in my backyard, (Plantation, Broward County). It's been in the ground for almost three years. Overall, it seems healthy and had a number of growth flushes last summer. Probably doubled in size since I planted it. No fruit yet.
About three weeks ago I noticed a few leaves turned dull, almost a greyish brown color, then dried up and fell off the tree. But after those first few leaves fell off, all seemed well. Yesterday I noticed about another half dozen leaves beginning to exhibit the same symptoms. They're beginning to look dull and brownish. This morning, even more.
For the most part, I leave the tree alone. I water it only during the dry season, and even then maybe once every two weeks. I think I've fertilized it twice since planted. I have sprayed it with copper sulfate a few times because there is some fungus on the leaves.
Any ideas what is going on? Thank you.

IMG_1139

IMG_1136

IMG_1137

IMG_1138

IMG_1140

IMG_1141

IMG_1143

IMG_1144

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oh No! My Mango Tree!

I think,its anthracnose. Pretty common on Mangos,and Im sure winter is a another reason. I dont have much experience with dealing with it. Most times it just goes away as weather warms.
IF its a root problem-thats worse to a higher degree.
You could only have thrips...look under the leaves,if you see little black dash shaped things-thrips. You can spray for them,prune the tree so more air gets in..thrips like lack of air circulation.

o

Looks like I'm swimming against the tide on this one.
Spoke with Dr. Campbell who said, based on my photos, that it looks like a bacterial infection. How the heck does that happen?? His suggestion was no water, no food, and to treat with copper, (I'm using Southern Ag Liquid Copper Fungicide).
I have since treated the tree 3 times, at 5 day intervals, the most recent treatment being yesterday. So far, the treatments seem to be ineffective, as the number of brown and dying leaves increases.
Ugh. . .2 years in the ground and I feel like I've lost a friend.

o

yes, carbos, very strange indeed. Wonder if it is a soil-borne disease? I feel for you, cuz as you say "swimming against the tide...."

they are like friends....gosh, I wish you luck (at least you have the foremost expert helping you)

And you know, it may take some time for the treatment to be effective as leaves already infected may still keep dropping for awhile......so don't give up yet, amigo....

MangoPoopster

o

Maybe its just me but your tree does not look that bad and I think it will be fine. I recommend that you space out copper spraying to every few weeks and then throw in some benign neglect so it can heal itself.

o

I doubt that its anthracnose, its been dry for months in South Florida.

o

Definitely not anthracnose. I'm running with Dr. Campbell's diagnosis of a bacterial infection. I am wondering if this a soil borne infection and, if so, what that means for any future plantings? Can soil be disinfected?
By the way, swrancher, the pics above are almost two weeks old. The tree looks noticeably worse for the wear as this alien attack spreads.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here