Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help in identifying disease on my mango tree..

Posted by Ricky86 none (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 6, 12 at 8:40

Hi Everyone
I have this 2 year old mango tree which has been dormant all winter, and has the anthracnose disease, but I am not able to identify the issue in the following picture:

http://i40.tinypic.com/4kz1g.jpg

( sorry for the bad quality )
It appears to be a young branch which died while forming, this is on the lower part of the tree, I can see new shoots developing on the lower part but the upper part has this kind of deformation/disease all over and there appears to be no new shoots developing there... Is this also due to the anthracnose disease or perhaps something else?

Any suggestions/ help would be much appreciated!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help in identifying disease on my mango tree..

Its hard to tell from the pic but your tree doesn't look too bad. It might not even have anthracnose, those look like burnt leaf tips caused by wind or overfertilization. You should check the undersids of the leaves with a magnifying glass in good light to see if you notice any mites on the undersides of the leaves.

Just to be safe, you can pick up some broad spectrum insect plus disease control. They should have these at Home Depot or your local gardening center. If you want to go the natural route, you may want to try Neem oil.
Simon

o
RE: Help in identifying disease on my mango tree..

Thanks Simon! I could not see any mites on the leaves, but I admit using fertilizers too frequently. I'll be the happiest if my tree has got no serious issues! Can you please tell me where to apply the Neem oil, on the leaves or in the roots?

Also, my tree has got very poor foliage, it is 10 feet in height but not even 2 feet wide from upper middle to lower parts, any suggestions on how to improve this?
Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here