Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lycheeluva

some interesting lychee links

lycheeluva
13 years ago

its around this time of year that i start to go into major lychee withdrawal (a recognized psychiatric disorder), and I start surifng the web desparately hoping to try in some way to satiate my lychee fix.

This morning i saw the following.

couple of very interesting videos on lycheesonline home page

http://lycheesonline.com/

and some very inttersting elongated looking lychees that look as though they will be available with free shipping from hawaii (not sure when lychee season is in hawaii)

anyone know what variety is shown in the picture?

look at pic at right hand side of website

http://www.hawaiitropicalfruits.com/

Comments (12)

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Gerry, that link takes you to a web page that displays what looks very much like the Rambutan type of lychee. LOL

Harry

• lycheeluva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Harry- wow , how little faith you have in me!!!as i stated, look at the right hand side of the page, there is a pic of rather elongated lychees.
    so clever clogs, any ideas as to the type?!!!!!!!!!

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Ahh, my sincere apologies for doubting you. I guess I need a wider screen.......I wouldn't have even seen those lychees without scrolling the page to the right. Now, as to what type they are. Good question. I have never seen anything like them. Sorry, no help here.....only back handed insults impugning my good friend's knowledge.

Harry

• stressbaby
    13 years ago

Found this on your lycheesonline link:

Not to despair completely if your tree is aggressively flushing out as we speak, which means you can forget about fruit. It is possible to prune off part of the new growth thereby inducing lateral bud formation in about 10 days. If a cold front moves in within the intervening 2 weeks you may still have a chance to get flowering and maybe fruit."

That is exactly what happened to my tree this year!

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

Nice Robert, sounds like you knew what you were doing all along.

Perhaps Gerry and Harry the pic is of korlan?

-Ethan

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Ethan....you may be onto something. The shape looks like you may be right. Of course, if you are right, then the pictures attached to a lychee ad that Gerry found is problematic for believing that this company knows much about what they are doing.

Harry

• trianglejohn
    13 years ago

Looks like normal lychee photo got scrunched into a predetermined space on their website - it happens a lot.

• lycheeluva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

doesnt look like korlan to me- the "lychees' in the pic seem longer and have more green in them. plus, korlan are so obscure, what are the chances that they are growing it and then wringly identify their crop. im still thinking its either a weird angled shot of mauritius or some other type.
    i know kaimana is very popular in hawaii. harry, do they look anything like kaimana lychees?

• jacob13
    13 years ago

Hello Friend,

Not quite about the Lychees as they do look like they are elongated and abnormally shaped, which could be do to distortion and/or imaging re-sizing. As for the Rambutans from this site, I have ordered them several times and they were absolutely spectacular. Super Fresh, sweet, and delicious. And the Price is outstanding. You get 8 pounds for $30, which includes shipping. Most other sites offer only 2 pounds for the same price or more, and then you still have to pay shipping. From what their Rambutans were like, I am definitely going to be ordering some of those "Lychee Slap"....maybe they are so good, they make you want to slap your momma?

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

No, definitely not like any Kaimanas that I have ever seen.......web posting distortions not withstanding.

Harry

• adiel
    13 years ago

I finally decided on purchasing the 'SweetHeart' variety of lychee tree. It is currently flowering. Let's see how it does...

Another interesting article for learning about Lychees flowering this time of year:

http://www.lycheesonline.com/LycheeFlowering.cfm

Adiel

• simon_grow
    13 years ago

The pic looks slightly distorted. I bet they are just Brewster or Mauritius and the pic got distorted when they tried to shrink it.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler