Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Atemoya

Posted by Comprotutto none (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 9:31

Despite its small size my atemoya was able to bring to completion its first fruit. I picked it a few days back when still firm and let it ripe on the counter for a couple of days until soft.

I was truly impressed with the flabor. Flesh was velvety and sweet and the aroma fairly close to Cherimoya which I fell in love with during a trip to Peru.

This is a Gefner from Excalibur.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Atemoya

grats! haven't get the chance for mine to fruit...

o

after harversting the tree started pushing out new leaves and flowers. I am planning to hand pollinate this time.

o

do update here on your hand pollination results bud!

o

how old is the tree?

o

This is my "Lisa" atemoya. It gave me a fruit it's 2nd year in the ground. This year it is flowering like crazy! I'm going to start pollinating over the weekend. What an exciting year!

o

How soon after you planted it, it started to grow new leaves?

I planted one in Jan but so far no new leaves

o

My tree started bud break a few weeks ago. It us flowering like crazy. I'm so happy to see so much growth. I pollinated by hand and stuck some pineapple scraps in the tree next to the flowers. We'll see what happens!

o

My tree started bud break a few weeks ago. It us flowering like crazy. I'm so happy to see so much growth. I pollinated by hand and stuck some pineapple scraps in the tree next to the flowers. We'll see what happens!

o

VinceSFL, are the pineapple scraps to attract small flying things to help with pollination, or some other reason? Is that a common practice with the Atemoya, or your own experiment? My Gefner is starting to flower and am also looking for pollination advantages.

Thanks.
DM

o

DM,

I read elsewhere on the forums that it worked for a Florida grower trying to pollinate their guanabana tree. That is another annona that is notoriously difficult to pollinate naturally. I figure it is the same principle. I have noticed a lot of flies around the blossoms as well as beetles. It is hard to catch the flowers at theExact right moment. My tree is relatively young, only 2&1/2 yrs in the ground. It is not that big yet, so I'm trying to get all the help I can.
I hope I get a lot of fruit. The first & only one I got last year was awesome!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here