Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rayandgwenn

Pitomba!

rayandgwenn
13 years ago

My Pitomba (Eugenia luschnathiana) has flower buds on it. I hear the fruit is delicious, so I can't wait!

I will take pictures and post them as it progresses.

The tree/bush is about 4-5 years old (from Sadhu at Govardham gardens). Maybe 3 ft tall. Beautiful plant.

Comments (12)

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Gwenn:

Interesting tree and fruit...the Pitomba. Mine (a 7 foot tree/bush.....now dearly departed), and many I have known about here in Florida have had issues with major tree limb and branch die back. The fruit is somewhat apricotish in a Eugenia sort of way. Its not a mango or a lychee, but it is way better than a barabdos cherry....IMO. I've got a couple more growing in pots that have been there for years. They're pretty slow growing. I would think they'd do well in container growing for those of you so inclined. I'll be interested to hear what you think of the fruit.

Harry

• mullenium
    13 years ago

is it like a longan?

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

No...completely different than longan. Orange fleshed....some what of a thick, but edible skin. Mixture of sweet and tart.....as in a fresh apricot. The ones I have had have been fairly juicy. Odd, when you google the fruit a bunch of longan looking fruits come up along with the beloe picture which is Pitomba.

{{gwi:1307234}}

• mullenium
    13 years ago

ah yeah thats why i was confused.. these above look sorta like cherry of the rio grande.. interesting

• rayandgwenn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Finally, one flower has pollinated and a fruit is growing. It is getting a new flush of flowers,so hopefully more fruits will follow.
    The CORG gave me 2 fruit, which I liked very much.
    The Black Zill pitanga is now fruiting and it is better tasting than regular pitanga.
    My Grumichama is starting to go into bud. I have hopes for a decent crop this year since I like them a lot.

• stressbaby
    13 years ago

Gwenn,

My Pitomba is growing at the speed of a glacier. Good for you!

On the grumichama, how long until it flowers generally? I have a purple grumichama about 5' but no sign of blooms at all.

Robert

• berto
    13 years ago

Stressbaby,
    Grumichama likes lots of organic matter and lots of water. My tree has produced a bumper crop this year. In March, I fertilize heavily with cow manure and water it three (3) times a week. I get very large fruits.
    You tree should be putting some flowers at five feet tall. Try the above suggestion next March.

• rayandgwenn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My grumichama is large- over 7 feet tall (maybe 4-5 years old). Last year was the first flowering (only 2 fruit).
    The flowers come out of the new leaf growth, so if you are having a growth spurt, keep an eye open for flower buds.

• rayandgwenn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is my first little fruit developing:
    {{gwi:1307236}}

• siafu
    13 years ago

Hi,

Pitomba (longan looking one) is also the name given in Brasil to
    fruits belonging to the genus Taliasia, such as Talisia esculenta.

It's a fruit a bit like the mamoncillo/quenepa (Melicoccus bijugatus).

• rayandgwenn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Today I ate my first Pitomba. It was medium golden yellow in color. It tasted ok, kind of Pitanga tasting, but better.

How golden should it be when ripe? The one picture has it orange.
    I have another fruit coming along and now a new flush of flowers.

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Gwenn:

In my experience, the more orange the fruit, the better the flavor. Some trees do not produce orange fruit, however. These tree's fruits are more "golden" in color. The better ones that I have had have a taste that is somewhat "apricotty' while the texture and juiciness is very eugenia-like. I would allow the fruits to ripen more and see how the flavor is. The more ripe, probably the sweeter it will be and you'll get away from that Pitanga flavor. A good Pitomba does not taste like a Pitanga.....IMHO.

Harry

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting