Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phxplantaddict

Growing mango trees in pots

phxplantaddict
13 years ago

Im in Phoenix. I want to grow some mango in pots. City water is high in akaline and salts.I have access to inexpensive r/o water. I have plenty of protected areas from the summer afternoon sun. What type of soil mixture should I use? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thx!

Comments (16)

• nullzero
    13 years ago

I would make your own mix, perhaps with pine bark, vermiculite, and perlite. Would maybe try out a ratio like 2:2:1, this should be more water retentive.

• phxplantaddict
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for the response nullzero. You say pine bark? So no soil?

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

I use Al's Gritty Mix for all my Container Potting mix...There's a lot of different types of mixes out there, but the main thing to remember is to use a mix that is porous, free draining...something that will keep the roots 'moist' not wet. Something that doesn't retain too much moisture that's staying wet too long as it can lead to root rot. Below are a couple of links that might be useful...
    In Search for Al's Gritty Mix

Here is a link that might be useful: Al's Gritty Mix Recipe

• phxplantaddict
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you puglvr1, your help is appreciated!

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

That is a great mix but I lived in Phoenix for a while and I remembee how scorching hot it can get. I really wonder if you could use that mix as is without hurting the tree.

Even for me living in NY, the one fruit tree I don't like this mix for is my mango trees. I noticed that they tend to like more water than my other tropical fruit trees so for that reason, I wont use the gritty mix.

I may be wrong here but this is just my experience with it.

Andrew

• mangodog
    13 years ago

I'm with Andrew on this. Palm Springs is very similar to your climate, PhxPlantAddict, and I would add something to the mix that would hold moisture(peat moss, compost, perhaps smaller bark/chip things, I think some soil is fine too), but also have them drain well (adding sand or perlite, perhaps). The scorching summers will wick the moisture out of potted stuff like crazy

And Mangos will take as much water as you can give them for 7-8 months out of the year. I think every day during the heat, unless you have GIANT pots, but maybe even then...... It's only the winter time you should be careful with the water, in my opinion.

and to counteract the salt buildup, REALLY overwater them say once a month, so the built-up salt leaches out the bottom drains and that should prevent the salt from building up too much

Puglvr's Florida climate is much much more humid and rain-producing than ours, but I think it is that humidity their that prevents their potted stuff from drying out like I think you'll discover with your potted stuff.

I will say I don't have any fruit trees in pots, just some ornamentals outside in the shade, but they do get watered daily during the warmest time of the year.....

MangoHungryDog

• pjames
    13 years ago

How big a pot is needed for mangoes? And will they mature and grow big enough to produce?

• karbas
    11 years ago

hi guys!
    wanted some answers plz guide.
    here is photo of my newly bought grafted mango tree .since i bought this 4m local vendor even he doesn't which variety they belong to or how tall will these tree grow. He just told me that they will give fruits after 1 year.
    so my question is
    1. r these grafted
    2.which variety r they
    3. will they grow in pots
    Thanks!

{{gwi:562592}}">

• soaht
    11 years ago

Since I've seen you posted about this twice? And didn't get any answer I will give my best shot as i'm no plant expert and just a newbie. Yes it looks like it is grafted. Looks like some kind of side grafting method, maybe a poorly veneer graft because usually the end tip of the scion are not suppose to be sticking out and should match perfectly with the root stock. You won't be able to tell variety till it fruits and taste it and see if you can find similar tasting mango varieties locally available in your area that has similar taste as your fruits. Even than you still wouldn't be 100% of the variety but at least you get an idea of what you have. They can be grown in pots but you will need big pots in the 30 gallon size and bigger when it matures. Start in smaller pots then gradually move to bigger ones. If you plan to keep it there permanently, you will need to keep it prune to remain a manageable size. And you have to feed it very good fertilizer for it to fruit in pot. But it looks like you are not in the USA(?), if you live on some kind of island or area that has tropical climate it's best to plant in ground for best permanence. Plus you don't know what variety you have so it could grow huge and be to big for pots. Hope it helps a bit.

• Doglips
    11 years ago

Those are the ugliest graphs I have ever seen.

Amazed it is living.

• Bossy vossy
    11 years ago

was surprised to learn one can grow mango in containers, ata least certain mangoes. Good luck to you. PS: yes, the grafts are the ugliest I've ever seen, I hope there is no gaps for humidity/bugs to eventually cause damage.

• tropicdude
    11 years ago

Those look like they were approach grafts, and that they used wire to wrap them instead of tape, not very attractive.

as Soaht said, no way of really knowing what variety it is at this point, your going only the person that grafted it would know, until it fruits. and if this was grafted from a seedling hybrid, then it may not have a variety name.

yes they can grow in pots, but if your in a warm location, and have room, plant them in the ground. you can prune them to keep them at a comfortable size. you may want to look at some videos on the subject of pruning and tipping, you do not want your tree to become too leggy.

• Natureday com
    2 years ago

I use sand from home depot, pete moss, and vermiculite with maybe 1 small thing of regular soil. Mangoes do not like regular soil. They freak out. In sand, they love it. So strange to me.

• coolneasy
    9 months ago

Sand and peat moss at what ratios? Do you they grow fine in that mix?

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    7 months ago

Mangoes have sponge like roots..very fine. Its why they love sand I guess in pots. But!,they grow in clay soils outdoors in California also.

• coolneasy
    7 months ago

I wonder if you can share any photos, I love to see them! I can tell it is all about the rootstock, some just grow in any medium while others are so sensitive to the growing medium.

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus