Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zigmund_gw

Could anyone explain what this protrusion on a mango could be?

Zigmund
11 years ago

Hi All! I've been a avid reader of your mango forums. It is just now that I have decided to register and join in.

In the picture is my item of curiosity. You can see the mango with a horn like protrusion, or something like a parrot's crest. I do know of a cultivar (Peggy mango) that has a similar peculiarity of having a protrusion on each fruit that it bears.

The mango in question however is one that is not known to have this rare feature. It is, by the way a Piko mango.. If you probably never heard of it, well it is one of the two major cultivars in the Philippines, the other (and more highly regarded) being the carabao mango.

This fruit was the only one from the cluster of mangoes (from the same tree) having this oddity.

Could anyone explain if this is highly unusual, or does this happen to every type of mango as a regular phenomenon?

I also noticed that fruits from this tree, though known to be "piko", have a slight characteristic blush (tiny red spots on some of its fruits (not seen in photo) which a regular piko is not known to have. Could this tree in particular be a hybrid of some sort owing to the questionable blush, and also to the protrusion found in one of its fruits? I couldn't tell the difference by taste and fruit quality.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor