Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mangosapien

Looking for dwarf/condo mango scion wood

mangosapien
13 years ago

Hi All,

I planted a mango seed last July, and now I'd like to try my hand at grafting, since the seedling will probably not grow true to type. I'm looking for a scion that would suitable for growing in a container. My preference is Pickering, but I'm not too picky... Please let me know how much it'll be, including shipping to lynchburg, VA 24502. Thanks!

Here's a pic of the lil guy (I think he's a Kent).

Comments (9)

• tropicalgrower89
    13 years ago

Nice! That little guy needs to get a bit bigger before you use it as a rootstock. Let the stem get a bit thicker.

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Your mango seedling looks better than mine does, congrats! Whatever you have done to care for it, keep it going!

I agree with tropicalgrower. I may not have see a lot of grafts but I have never seen a mango tree that small that has been grafted like that. Maybe in another year it will be ready. Good luck with that! Maybe pinching the new growth will help to focus the trees energy into thickening up the trunk?

My seedling is an autulfo/champagne mango. I started mine around the same time you started yours. Mine was looking nice and lush until I decided to put it under my 600 watt HPS light which burned 3 or 4 of the leaves. I have since moved it back to the window it was in before and now it looks like it will be flushing soon again.
    Andrew

• murahilin
    13 years ago

mangosapien,
    That size is fine for grafting. A simple cleft graft will work on that size. You can graft mango seedlings when they are less than 2 months old.

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

SHeehan,
    Thanks for that info. This summer I want to try grafting my jackfruit seedling for the first time. I also want to start a bunch of mango seeds so I can practice grafting on them. i need to read up more on diffrent grafting techniques. IT would be much more easier if I could watch someone do it. Then I could have a better idea of what I am looking for with cutting the bud wood and the scion.
    Andrew

• mangosapien
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I appreciate the feedback. It's great to hear from people that are knowledgeable and share the same passion for mangoes.

Andrew78, sorry to hear about the light indecent; I hope your autulfo recovers well.

I was using this link as a guide, since this will be my first attempt at grafting. It says a rootstock may grafted when it's same diameter as a pencil.

Have any members here had success grafting a rootstock this thin?

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Sheehan, When you do clefts do you leave a few sets of leaves below or do you graft right down near the base? I have had miserable luck grafting on everything aside from citrus and a few jackfruit.

• adiel
    13 years ago

Mangosapien, you can do the cleft graft on that mango seedling but wait a couple more months, until June or July. If you do the graft now, the cold weather could kill it since you are in zone 7b (even if you have the mango indoors). Actually even if you were in zone 10 and you do the graft now (in March), the night temperatures could kill the scion (budwood) if it was placed outside. Also you will have blooming now coming out of the scion(budwood) which will interfere and is not desirable at this point. For maximum success, grafting of mangos should be done in the summer where you will have the hottest temperatures possible. Use fresh budwood. When you get the budwood, make sure you match one corner of both rootstock and scion if the diameters are different so that the cambium layers are touching each other. Use a 1/4" by 8" grafting rubber band, then tape the entire graft with parafilm grafting tape. After about a month, you can remove some of the tape from the top to ensure terminal bud growth.

Adiel

• tropicaliste
    13 years ago

mangosapien: Thanks for the link; it was super clear on two of the grafting methods and I'd never seen them before.
    :)

• John Clay
    7 years ago

Hello everyone.I want to buy a couple of mango scion wood ,the variety i'am interesting in is the Nam Doc mai & the Chanook.Also let me know the Shipping cost &your time ,thanks a lot.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths