Posted by j-grow 10A (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 27, 10 at 11:19

any one done this with our low chills?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: multi var same whole PEACHES???

• Posted by dghays Z10A FL Brevard (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 28, 10 at 19:15

I have it with low chill plums, still early though. Two are in flower right now, two not. Will let one hold some fruit this year if it gets some. They are spaced about 3' apart in a square pattern, 3 plums and a plumcot hybrid.

Gary

o

Gary, what variety of plums are you growing? I just got a 4 in 1 multi graft from bay laurel nursery this weekend. The varieties are,Beauty, Methley, Golden Nectar and I don't remember the other - Burgundy, I think? I am concerned that the Golden Nectar won't do well, because it needs something like 400 chill hours. I figure if 2 out of the 4 make if I am still ahead of the game though. I got the 4-n-1 apple, plum & peach. If they don't survive, it will have been an expensive experiment.

o

gary how long have they been in the ground? did your pinnapples survive the freeze? mine all made it but they look like hell!

o

Mon, Mar 1, 10 at 9:00

pep, they are the gulf series of low chill plums. One is looking beautiful with tons of white flowers. I have a Scarlet Beauty in the front yard which is probably the same as your 'beauty'. It is excellent, self pollinating, vigorous and productive, and pretty tasty.

jgrow, they've only been growing for a couple years, got them mail order from justfruitsandexotics.com. My pinas got beat up very bad, but some survived, can't be sure yet about them all. I don't expect hardly any fruit this year from them, it's a shame. I harvested 4 or 5 dozen a couple years ago. Glad yours made it, pineapples are so easy to grow, except for these darn freezes.

Gary

o

ya the freezes are depressing but i faired well this year. i may have a connection on tops if it comes thru i will let you know and you can stick a bunch in the ground. how about your blue berries are they blooming? i read nematodes torcher plems and apricots i am afriad to give them a try

o

Tue, Mar 2, 10 at 20:51

If you try plums, use a ton of organic matter and mulch to fight nematodes. My blueberries look generally happy. One is almost 6' tall, most have quite a bit of blooms, and a few fruit. The rabbiteyes haven't done much yet as far as breaking dormancy. I plan allowing about a 50% crop on the blueberries this year, then full crops afterwards.

Gary

o

gary how did the closely planted stones work out this year. i am thinking of planting some peaches and nectorines in the next few weeks and am trying to decide on spacing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here