Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fruit ID help please

Posted by socalgardengal 10 San Diego Ca (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 11:38

My hubby brought me a bag of fruit from a customers house. The customer does not know what they are. He said they were a japanese fruit. I thought they were asian pears but the seeds are huge, just like mini mango seeds. The fruit is about the size of a baseball and super soft almost mushy. Taste is fantastic almost like cotton candy or Juicy fruit gum. There are 4 seeds. I thought also that they might be Santol but not quite sure. I'm starting a few seeds just to see if the will grow because the fruit is just that amazing lol. Its worth the wait :) Here's a few pics

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fruit ID help please

One more pic of the fruit whole. Thank you for any info :)

o

Pic of the bottom pointed end. Don't know if it helps.

o

White sapote maybe?

DM

Here is a link that might be useful: picture looks kinda the same

o

I think that must be it. Sounds and looks just like it. They are amazing fruits! Delicious! Thank you for helping dangermouse01, I appreciate it :)

o

Glad to help socalgardengal.
Haven't tasted the white sapote myself yet, but a friend gave me one of her extra WS seedlings. So maybe in about 4 years.....

DM

o

They are absolutely AMAZING!!! Thanks again for the help :)

o

They are sure White Sapote. I also think your fruits were a little over ripen; the best tasting Sapote is when it just turned soft on the tree. I have been eating mine since January and I think this year the tree might bears fruit all year round. Sapote almost don't have consistence fruiting time year after year, at least on my tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here